Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chainmailr

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2018
California, USA
It is the same site. HTTPS is more secure, as the connection will be encrypted between your computer and the server.
There's more too. HTTPS also allows your computer to authenticate the server, i.e. ensure that the owner* of etrecheck.com controls** the server you're connecting to. Encryption alone would not provide that.

* Assuming your certificate authority is honest.
** Assuming nobody else holds the private key.
[doublepost=1543110517][/doublepost]
Thank you for the insight!

In short, known apps like Etrecheck can be infected, but the chance is rather low and there isn't much need to worry about things I can't change?

And in small chance I do get working app that still installs ransomware or some poop, Malwarebytes should take care of it?
The rules of thumb for Mac apps are:
1. The risk is always low but present.
2. Be aware of the reputation of what you're installing. Etrecheck is well-known.
3. Prefer apps that are self-contained, noninvasive, and follow Apple's dev guidelines. Etrecheck is nice and noninvasive.
4. There's still a non-zero risk for well-known apps, plus some things are bloatware, so you mitigate those risks by only installing what you need. Do you need Etrecheck?

I wouldn't expect Malwarebytes to catch any malware that hasn't been seen before. Following these rules, I don't see need for any antivirus on my Mac, so I don't use any.
[doublepost=1543110783][/doublepost]
THIS is NOT a random screenshot:- https://imgur.com/gallery/WgHg1JM

I personally took the screenshot - it's from my own iMac screen!
Are you, or are you not, John, the author of the comment made by the 'Developer' shown in the screenshot I took?
Either way, the response in the screenshot is correct. Etrecheck doesn't fix anything, only help diagnose. In fact, that's what makes it good. You don't want to install random tools that edit your system settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaduff46

Brawdy14

Suspended
Feb 1, 2018
Devon, England
Do you think I am?
Following some experimentation today, I think that YOU, John, the 'Developer', DID write the Developer Response answers in all of the cases.

I ALSO think that YOU, personally, wrote all of the Review questions - specifically so that you could then provide the answers in a format to your liking. Quite clever, but not really kosher.

Would you like to comment on why the Review which I provided never made it to the App Store?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Following some experimentation today, I think that YOU, John, the 'Developer', DID write the Developer Response answers in all of the cases.

I ALSO think that YOU, personally, wrote all of the Review questions - specifically so that you could then provide the answers in a format to your liking. Quite clever, but not really kosher.

Would you like to comment on why the Review which I provided never made it to the App Store?
I don't understand your contentious questions. EtreCheck has been around for years, and the free version does what it always has done. Nobody's forcing you to buy it.

etresoft

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016

Intriguing theory! However, I am not Jewish - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Etresoft, Inc. is a Canadian corporation. If you weren’t already aware, Canada Post is currently on strike. News reports say there is a backlog of hundreds of app reviews stuck in customs. The Trudeau government has tabled legislation to force an end the strike. Supposedly it would be resolved this weekend, but the Senate delayed the third reading until Monday. I know what you’re thinking ("the Senate! typical!"). But I’m confident that the strike will be resolved soon and your review will eventually show up in the App Store.
[doublepost=1543196234][/doublepost]
I don't understand your contentious questions.
I think if you hang around long enough, you will figure it out. If past behaviour is indicative of future actions, you will have many opportunities for analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.