Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Thinking of picking up a couple from marketplace for $40-60. Are there typically fakes to watch out for? Mainly need an intercom for my daughter’s room to the living room and we’re an Apple household so it makes sense.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Thinking of picking up a couple from marketplace for $40-60. Are there typically fakes to watch out for? Mainly need an intercom for my daughter’s room to the living room and we’re an Apple household so it makes sense.
never seen a fake but its probably a good idea to make sure the speaker sounds good and volume control is normal.

that said ive found the intercom function to be pretty frustrating to use.

I would suggest bringing a usb-c pd battery bank and testing/linking it to your Apple ID on the spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: b17777

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
There aren't any, probably because it would be just as hard to make a fake one as a real one (assuming the thing works the same as a HomePod).

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest
Intercom is not all I thought it would be. I would certainly not make it the basis for buying the HomePods.

Basically, imagine that you record a message, have Siri play it on another HomePod, the person on the other end records their message, it’s playing on your HomePod, each step accompanied with Siri interaction. It’s just too slow and somewhat convoluted.

What they should have done is to create an “intercom mode” where everything said on one end is automatically played on the other end until one side exits the mode, without the need to separately initiate every reply via “Hey Siri”.

Also, I believe IKEA used to sell a Sonos made Homekit compatible smart speaker for around $70. May be a worthwhile alternative to at least consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.