Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Would you mind elaborating? I realise that centring subjects in the frame is damned awful, but the way I shoot is to focus my subject using the centre AF point, and then recompose the shot so the subject is positioned at a third or wherever. Is there something wrong with that AF point that I don't know about?

My EOS 1V has 45 AF points, but I don't use them all, just the centre one.

Recomposing is fine- that means you're choosing the composition. Most people (check the picture of the day thread of any month for a gazillion examples) don't recompose when they're using the center AF point.

The main disadvantage is that you generally have to move much further over from the central point, by which time your subject may have moved. Of course, with all your zooming out you probably have to recompose anyway, so that's probably not as big a disadvantage for you ;)

The advantage that point has is that it's normally a cross-type sensor while the outliers may not be- so for manual focus using the focusing indicator, I actually like the central point. But then I'm not in 99% of the folks who always center their subjects.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
The advantage that point has is that it's normally a cross-type sensor while the outliers may not be- so for manual focus using the focusing indicator, I actually like the central point. But then I'm not in 99% of the folks who always center their subjects.

I kind of bought the 1V on a whim, but it's interesting to read about its autofocus system. Apparently it has seven cross type sensors, and a load of other features that I'll never use too.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Well, compuwar will be disappointed in me... I ordered the Sigma 18-200mm OS from B&H today. It's backordered, but should only be a couple weeks.

My logic was that I need a lens with a longer zoom in the very short term. Both for my daily photography of my son as he grows and a trip we're taking in the spring to visit my family in Florida. (Going to Disney and things like that so having a more versatile "walk around lens" than my 18-55mm will be really useful). As such, I was going to buying SOMETHING in the next 30 days, and a more special/single purpose lens wasn't really a practical choice.

If I had gone with a cheaper less "all-purpose" lens like a 18-135mm or even 18-200mm without OS I would have likely ended up selling it eventually. With the 18-200mm OS there's little reason not to keep it as a single lens solution for light packing, so I'll probably save money in the long run.

As for the weight, I was thinking about it and the SB400 with batteries is probably as much or more weight than the difference between the 18-55 and 18-200mm with OS and having the flash attached doesn't bother me much at all, so I think I'll be OK with the extra ounces. I also looked at some samples of real shots with and without the OS and I'm impressed enough that it overcame any doubt about the usefulness of the OS system.

Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to a D90 body and I'll immediately get the "nifty fifty" prime when I do, as well as some other more "exotic" fast zooms etc, but for now this just seemed like the best option for my situation. :)

I learned a lot from this thread, though, mostly from compuwar, so I appreciate everyone taking the time to post.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Well, compuwar will be disappointed in me...

Nope, it's your money, your camera and your photography. We can wax philosophic about good and bad choices all day, but ultimately it's your choice and you made an informed decision- honestly that's my main goal- getting people to think and reason their decisions. I hope you get what you expect out of the lens and more.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Well, compuwar will be disappointed in me... I ordered the Sigma 18-200mm OS from B&H today. It's backordered, but should only be a couple weeks.

Sometimes the need for "professional" level glass needs to be discovered rather than just accepted. For starters, from your posts, especially the last one, most of what you want to shoot sounds like an 18-200 is perfect. After using a DSLR for just under a year now all I had was a P&S the other day and tried to get a few snaps of my kids. After a few attempts that left me with empty chairs or half a frame of a blurry child or just flat out badly lit yellow rooms, i almost tossed the thing out the window.

I personally don't think any DSLR is 'overkill' for taking snap shots and travel, adn doing the work a traditional pocket sized compact is for. The image quality is bonus.

Once you start to take more specialty shots and notice specialty glass can do something more for the picture well that is when it would be nice to upgrade, but until then I think the line of 18-200 zooms WITH IS/OS/VR whatever are very much worth their cost, and pretty darn good lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.