Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What are you doing on it?

My 6th gen is used for multimedia by my son mostly. But, he’s very demanding on it. Always watching 1080P video, or playing Ark survival evolved which is the most demanding mobile game on iOS around. It has never frozen, and it has never crashed.

If I had a problem with it, I would have easily just sold it for $225 really fast and bought a iPad Pro 2nd gen at Walmart for $299 new with that sale from brick seek.

Seriously, I’m very impressed.
Nothing too crazy. Watching 1080p video from YouTube app, playing a demanding game (Houkai 3rd), reading, web browsing etc. . What irritates me is one day I left my iPad at home at 6AM and I did not let my iPad do anything. At 6PM, I came back home only to realise the iPad was frozen. I had to do a hard reset.

I am also impressed, just in a different way.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Nothing too crazy. Watching 1080p video from YouTube app, playing a demanding game (Houkai 3rd), reading, web browsing etc. . What irritates me is one day I left my iPad at home at 6AM and I did not let my iPad do anything. At 6PM, I came back home only to realise the iPad was frozen. I had to do a hard reset.

I would do a full reset without a restore maybe. This is not normal for sure. I’m not gonna lie, my sons 6th gen is not gonna compare to my iPad Pro. But still, it is always butter smooth. I’ve never seen a hang, or any freezing at all.

Reactions: ericwn

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I honestly have no idea what some of these guys are talking about when it comes to the 6th gen. I’ve had mine since last October and it’s been an awesome device, never crashes, very smooth experience. I’m pretty sure most these guys bashing it have never used one.

Get the 6th gen, and if you can, get it with the larger storage and you won’t be disappointed

Reactions: rhinosrcool

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I've never had one freeze up either. I used mine for about 8-9 months between pros, and now my sister has it and is loving it.

I have purchased 3 of them for my grandkids, and they play games constantly, and with probably 30 apps open at a time - zero issues.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
My 6th gen is used for multimedia by my son mostly. But, he’s very demanding on it. Always watching 1080P video
On YouTube?
[doublepost=1558792861][/doublepost]

If those problems persist, get a replacement. Maybe you just have a bad egg.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
On YouTube?
[doublepost=1558792861][/doublepost]
If those problems persist, get a replacement. Maybe you just have a bad egg.
Yeah. Actually, after checking the iPad Pro features and playing around with that Apple Pencil 2, I go straight to iPad Pro 11” cellular. Feels good now. It costs a ton, but I just cannot resist that magnetic Apple Pencil 2. XD

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah. Actually, after checking the iPad Pro features and playing around with that Apple Pencil 2, I go straight to iPad Pro 11” cellular. Feels good now. It costs a ton, but I just cannot resist that magnetic Apple Pencil 2. XD

Magnets. Always with the magnets. ;)

Reactions: Shirasaki

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I've never had one freeze up either. I used mine for about 8-9 months between pros, and now my sister has it and is loving it.

I have purchased 3 of them for my grandkids, and they play games constantly, and with probably 30 apps open at a time - zero issues.

My same thoughts as well.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Even my air 2 with A8x doesn’t have those issues, nor does my iPhone 7, either the same a10 as the 9.7” iPad.

Every single one of my devices with 2gb of RAM has issues holding apps in memory without reloading. My iPhone 7, Pro 9.7 and iPad mini 4. My Pro 10.5 and wife’s 8 Plus don’t.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Holding apps in memory is a different issue from stuttering performance and crashes.

They do that as well. Not as often, but they do every once in a while.

I tell anyone looking at an iOS device to avoid anything with 2gb of RAM because of it. They’re getting REALLY close to what it felt like owning an iPhone 6 Plus with 1gb of RAM a few years ago. And I don’t think iOS 13 is going to those devices any favors.

Hell, even my Apple TV 4 is starting to get slow.

Reactions: Shirasaki

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I tell anyone looking at an iOS device to avoid anything with 2gb of RAM because of it. They’re getting REALLY close to what it felt like owning an iPhone 6 Plus with 1gb of RAM a few years ago. And I don’t think iOS 13 is going to those devices any favors.

I regularly swap between Pro 9.7 (A9X/2GB), Pro 10.5 (A10X/4GB) and Pro 12.9 (A10X/4GB), and to be honest, the 9.7 doesn't stutter any more than the 10.5 and 12.9 do. That said, the 9.7 is more prone to reloads.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I would personally recommend the Mini 5 to you. If you insist on going bigger, stick to the Pro 10.5.

Only buy the iPad 2018 if your budget is under 250ish or whatever.
[doublepost=1558849109][/doublepost]

7 and SE both have 2 GB RAM. They’re okay to be honest.

As is my mother’s iPad 2018 with just 2 GB.

But if you depend on your iDevice for work, might as well go 3-4 GB.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I regularly swap between Pro 9.7 (A9X/2GB), Pro 10.5 (A10X/4GB) and Pro 12.9 (A10X/4GB), and to be honest, the 9.7 doesn't stutter any more than the 10.5 and 12.9 do. That said, the 9.7 is more prone to reloads.

I own 2018 6th gen iPad with 2 GB RAM. I would not say that it freezes or crashes a lot. Apps crash when the battery gets low (around 15 %/10 % or so). Otherwise not. I do get constant reloads and I do think that it might be related to the RAM management.

I get few bugs that I am not sure whether are typical iOS bugs or happen because of the low RAM. Files app is constantly unresponsive. It either ends up in infinite loading when I want to store something (in OneDrive usually btw) or it shows all places as greyed out and disabled and as a result I cannot choose where to store something.

I used to have similar issues with the Notes app - it would be unresponsive. Killing the app did not help. I had to restart the iPad. Now it seems to be better but I don't use the Notes app that often so that might be a factor too.

Overall I would still say that this iPad is good if you plan to use it as companion device. I would not rely only on this iPad for heavy work (meaning replacing old fashioned computers).

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
It is truly amazing how successful Apple marketing is at convincing people that the newest devices are so dramatically better than older ones.

Honestly, iPads are totally software constrained at this point for all but the absolute most upper end of power users (crunching raw files or things along those lines).

Literally any of them from the last 3-ish years are amazing and do basically everything great for essentially all users (save for maybe that niche I mentioned)

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
I have a iPad Pro 9.7 and it's better than the 2018 iPad, which does not have the laminated screen and still runs fast. I personally will never consider the 2018 iPad because of the air gap. Since I use a iPhone 8 which doesn't have an air gap either along with using a Macbook Pro, which also have the same type of display, I think it will bother me. The non-laminated display will give a worse experience once you use the new iPhones, used an iPad Air 2 before or the retina Macbook Pros.

But in general, I don't do much productivity stuff besides typing blog posts in Microsoft Word with the Smart Keyboard and use it for SSH into a VPS. Aside from that, I use it for mobile games, web browsing, watching video and ebooks. They cost around the same as a new 2018 iPad on the used market and the extra features such as True Tone, quad speakers, Apple Pencil support and Smart connector. For the time being, it's good enough until Apple decides to add more features to make these iPads more capable.

But if you want new, iPad Mini, the new iPad Air 3 or a used iPad Pro 10.5 are better choices than the iPad 2018 as they have better processors, slightly more RAM (3/4GB), and support for future updates, unless you are constrained by the budget.

As for 2GB, while apps do reload, it's usually because of I have something heavy running such as a game, but it's not a problem.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Just to echo some of the thoughts above about my 9.7 inch iPad Pro…

If I didn’t spend time on these forums or know anything else about what had gone on in iPad world the last couple years, there is literally nothing… Nothing… In day-to-day usage of my iPad that would make me think it is slow or in any way needs upgrading.

I guess it’s a credit to Apple for making such great hardware, but I think it’s also an indictment on the software for not doing more with the great hardware they are putting out.

Most any of the iPad hardware in the last few years is such complete & total overkill for what an iOS user usually is doing.

toronado455

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
I'm tempted to get the current 9.7" for $250, but that new 10.2" rumored replacement was supposed to be out "early 2019" and it's already end of May, so...?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'm tempted to get the current 9.7" for $250, but that new 10.2" rumored replacement was supposed to be out "early 2019" and it's already end of May, so...?
If you are not in a dire need of buying an iPad tomorrow, just wait until September. Or if that deal is good enough for you, go for it.

RayB4

macrumors member
Just to echo some of the thoughts above about my 9.7 inch iPad Pro…

If I didn’t spend time on these forums or know anything else about what had gone on in iPad world the last couple years, there is literally nothing… Nothing… In day-to-day usage of my iPad that would make me think it is slow or in any way needs upgrading.

I guess it’s a credit to Apple for making such great hardware, but I think it’s also an indictment on the software for not doing more with the great hardware they are putting out.

Most any of the iPad hardware in the last few years is such complete & total overkill for what an iOS user usually is doing.
I think that it sometimes gets forgotten that this and many other gadget based forums are mostly populated by enthusiasts and for the enthusiast it is only the newest, the fastest, the most powerful, the most sophisticated etc of their favourite device that will do. All that went before is fit only for the bin and if their manufacturer of choice brings out an entry level device it is sometimes described (see one poster on these boards a month ago) as ‘garbage’.
My 6th Gen 9.7” suits my every need and I shall keep it until it stops working and I’ll see what Apple has available then.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.