Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
I have asus rog phone 5s and want to try iPhone 15 pro for some time.

Is it complicated to switch to iOS for a short time and then return to android ?

I want to transfer messages, Contacts and whatsup chat, How to do that ?

Thanks for answering.

Last edited:

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
There are plenty more articles, like the one @IAmStumped linked. Here and on the Android forums. As you are no doubt already aware, it is easy-ish, but you must manage expectations. Which is to say, prepare for a learning curve.

Your real battle will be frustration. Understand that Apple's business plan is to break and defeat Android in every way possible. Apple always considered Android a blatant ripoff of Apple's intellectual property. "JerryRigEverything" (YouTube) tried this experiment, but he was half-hearted about it, SO obviously made up his mind not to learn/like IOS, that he shouldn't have bothered making the video. This guy makes superlative content otherwise; highly recommend his channel.

Some example pain points might be:
  • The IOS gaming experience will NOT be the same, maybe not even good enough. I understand that Asus Rogs have a "Particular set of skills." I don't game at all.
  • Apple has some nice customization features, but nothing like Android. Some seriously basic preferences simply won't be available in IOS.
  • IOS is more secure than IOS out-of-box, and you might feel it slowing you down. (Of course, Android can be secured - and slow as a result - but that's a tedious undertaking).
  • Some 'Droid apps you like (take for granted) might not exist on IOS, or might not work/integrate the same.
  • If you have music/movie/news streaming subscriptions with their own apps, try to keep 'em. I find Apple's own Music and Movie apps have grown progressively more annoying over the years.
    • There's no viable internet service out where I live in horse country, so I have to download/curate everything locally. No streaming for me.
  • Messaging might seem irritating on IOS. There's a reason Apple folks love it, and 'Droid people whine about it so much.
  • If you intend to switch back to 'Droid after your IOS walkabout...
    • The IOS keychain is super-nice to use; its habit-forming. However, make sure to keep new app/site passwords in a cross-platform vault that you can back up.
    • Some kinds of content will be tricky to transfer back to 'Droid, particularly from Apples build-in apps, which are decent, especially when integrated amongst other Apple devices. e.g., notes, music movies, certain file types, etc.
There's more.

I know I sound pessimistic, here, but don't let me (and the other naysayers in here) discourage you. IOS is stable, secure and pretty. The hardware is best in class. And a 15 Pro will feel super fast.
  • Even if you like and use Google Apps, lean into your Apple/iCloud account. Everything will be easier when you submit. If you have a Mac, too, then Apple's genuine accomplishments will be more obvious... 🎶 Okay, just a little pinprick, there'll be no more... but you may feel a little sick…🎵
  • Do yourself a favor and get premium Apply earbuds (Beats Fit Pros, or AirPods Pro 2. I'm fond of Bose. Sony's are good.) Connectivity is key, and you cannot go wrong staying inside Apple's Walled Garden.
  • Doesn't matter how pretty the phone is; put it in a case with a screen protector. Just do it.
  • There are lots of garbage accessories in the market, but also remember that Apple screws with other companies on purpose to ruin their experience. Just the way it is. Google does it, too. <shrug>
I wouldn't have it any other way. Gimme a "C"; gimme an "A", gimme a "P", gimme an "ITALISM"! Yay! Test with your mind. Vote with your [insert currency].

Reactions: bo-waleed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.