Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Well, the fan blades turn if I push them with my finger Other than that, they move about as much as my father. He has been in a box underground since 1991.

Is there a way to reactivate the fans.

Background info: This gpu has been resurrected twice with 9 minute oven baking at 390 degrees. Most recent oven treatment was a year or two ago
IMG_20240510_180731894.jpg

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Get a new card, like an RX6600XT and flash it, will be much easier in the long run.

benmuetsch

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2020
What is the temperature of the GPU and what are you doing with it? Seems like a very open cooler design and maybe the card has a fan stop feature until it reaches a specific temperature. The Mac Pro has the PCIE fan so it get's some air.

Try to push the card using Unigine Heaven Benchmark and report back if the fans start spinning. :)

Reactions: danallen

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
The fans should be always on when the mp is running.
Do you have proper power cables going to the mobo?

all the apple cards, pc flashed cards and even non flashed cards like radeon 570/580 should always have spinnig fans on gfx.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
For example the Rx580 Pulse do not spin the fans when not in heavy load.

Also my Sapphire RX560 (not all types) does not spin the fans in moderate usage.

Tho they spin until the driver loads, at least when restarting / power on.

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
For example the Rx580 Pulse do not spin the fans when not in heavy load.

Also my Sapphire RX560 (not all types) does not spin the fans in moderate usage.

Tho they spin until the driver loads, at least when restarting / power on.
my saphire rx580 always spins the fans but under heavy load it goes into full blast.
my gigabyte 7950 with mac rom had its 3 fans always spinning too.
So I think it depends on the card.

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
I have just remembered something. I had a problem with the adapter 2x 6pin to 8 pin pcie power going to my rx580. I thought the card died because it seemed to be dead. Turned it was the power adapter. I have original 2x 6pin cables and then 8 pin adapter. So replace the power cables first. Some pc shop tested my rx580 in a pc so the card was fine.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
my saphire rx580 always spins the fans but under heavy load it goes into full blast.
my gigabyte 7950 with mac rom had its 3 fans always spinning too.
So I think it depends on the card.

Of course it depends on the card settings, there are also editors for some kind of GPU bios, where you can fine adjust the fans.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
I'm not sure if I'm being helpful or not, but please accept my thinking below, possibly leading to some help.

I happen to have this same card, a least I think I do. It's a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X, either rev2 or rev3, I can't tell it only from the picture attached. I've got a rev 2. It's printed on the PCIe connector plate on the card.

It's a 250W TDP card, and in ypur config it seems to be powered only by 2x mini 6-pin connectors from the cMP motherboard according to attached picture. That would not be enough to operate the card at some high performance and power demanding situations. cMP mini 6-pin can give 100-110 without shutdown I have read. 2x is 200W-220W before cMP self-shutdown, plus the approx 30W from the PCIe slot. We are in the ballparks of a cMP self-shutdown already.

I really don't know if that too low of a power feed to the card would have caused this mentioned and unexpected behavior of the fans not operating normally or not, but it might have.

GPU card TDP is 250W and the card is measured to consume a lot more than that in some tests, so it would need to be fed with more power than just 2x mini 6-pins from the backplane.

My card seems like yours, doesn't it?
1715793890092.png

Last edited:

danallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
I think you should buy a new graphics card, oven baking has never been a solution but a very limited temporary fix for bad solder joints
I am sure you are 100% correct. Only five years since my first bake. Then did another one about a year ago.

tonton_max

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2021
I'm not sure if I'm being helpful or not, but please accept my thinking below, possibly leading to some help.

I happen to have this same card, a least I think I do. It's a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X, either rev2 or rev3, I can't tell it only from the picture attached. I've got a rev 2. It's printed on the PCIe connector plate on the card.

It's a 250W TDP card, and in ypur config it seems to be powered only by 2x mini 6-pin connectors from the cMP motherboard according to attached picture. That would not be enough to operate the card at some high performance and power demanding situations. cMP mini 6-pin can give 100-110 without shutdown I have read. 2x is 200W-220W before cMP self-shutdown, plus the approx 30W from the PCIe slot. We are in the ballparks of a cMP self-shutdown already.

I really don't know if that too low of a power feed to the card would have caused this mentioned and unexpected behavior of the fans not operating normally or not, but it might have.

GPU card TDP is 250W and the card is measured to consume a lot more than that in some tests, so it would need to be fed with more power than just 2x mini 6-pins from the backplane.

My card seems like yours, doesn't it?
View attachment 2378488
each mini 6-pin can deliver 75w max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.