Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
My late 2018 MacBook Air was completely bricked by upgrading to Big Sur. Apple Genius Bar and support didn't help at all. I had to buy a new laptop. Very disappointing. They claim it screwed up the logic board. They required a $500 payment just to send it in. I tried everything with no luck. Apple screwed me.
Try reviving or restoring its firmware. Sometimes (more often), an Apple Genius isn't so genius after all.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
My late 2018 MacBook Air was completely bricked by upgrading to Big Sur. Apple Genius Bar and support didn't help at all. I had to buy a new laptop. Very disappointing. They claim it screwed up the logic board. They required a $500 payment just to send it in. I tried everything with no luck. Apple screwed me.
That's horrible. I don't trust Apple anymore.

incline design group

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
Salt Lake City, UT
I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about BigSur bricking the battery of my 2018 MBPro—this is now a fancy desktop machine. Unfortunately downgrading etc has not helped because it looks like a firmware update was pushed to the (battery that rendered it useless [as a sidetone, a little over a month ago that battery had a 90%'ish battery health], and reinstalling/clean-reinstalling past systems haven't forced a reinstall of the old battery firmware.

For everyone saying this is fake news above, check out the developer forum thread linked in my original post. There are hundreds of posts on this. Waiting patiently for Apple to acknowledge this and/or push a new battery firmware update.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I've got a 2015 Mac Book Pro running Mojave. I have no interest in upgrading the operating system because I need to run the following command (using terminal) several times a day to prevent accidental and unwanted macOS upgrades to Catalina:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0
killall Dock

And it sounds like future operating systems will not allow the above commands to work - therefore, I have zero interest using anything beyond Mojave.

Now I hear that Big Sur is destroying perfectly good laptops by corrupting firmware. Is that really true? Damn. Just, damn - that's whacked.
Only if you throw a brick at it. ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.