Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey @s1oplus as an iPad Pro owner (first a 2018 one and now an M2), my advice is to upgrade if you can. If you don’t want to spend too much, an Apple Official Refurbished 11” M1 iPad Pro should be a fantastic device. If you don’t want to spend money on an iPad Pro, the M1 Air (fifth gen iPad Air) Is a great choice as well. But as @rui no onna said, the iPad Pro has the sweet spot of 128GB of storage, while on the Air you will have to choose between 64GB (which I don’t recommend) and 256GB.

Whatever device you choose, it will be a massive upgrade over your current iPad 5.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Hey @s1oplus as an iPad Pro owner (first a 2018 one and now an M2), my advice is to upgrade if you can. If you don’t want to spend too much, an Apple Official Refurbished 11” M1 iPad Pro should be a fantastic device. If you don’t want to spend money on an iPad Pro, the M1 Air (fifth gen iPad Air) Is a great choice as well. But as @rui no onna said, the iPad Pro has the sweet spot of 128GB of storage, while on the Air you will have to choose between 64GB (which I don’t recommend) and 256GB.
I think i will go M2 i really want something new. If i have the money to do it i will.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023

Whatever device you choose, it will be a massive upgrade over your current iPad 5.
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate the help. I think i will be upgrading

Reactions: Populus

klasma

macrumors 604
Jun 8, 2017
I know its better. I just want other users feedback
Of course it’s better. Every newer iPad is better somehow. Whether it’s worth upgrading depends on what you are using it for, what issues you currently run into, and how much spare money you have.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Of course it’s better. Every newer iPad is better somehow. Whether it’s worth upgrading depends on what you are using it for, what issues you currently run into, and how much spare money you have.
Its perfect i run into storage ram and performace issues. The pro should fix all that and last me 10 years or so with updates

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Its perfect i run into storage ram and performace issues. The pro should fix all that and last me 10 years or so with updates
If you really want the newest and latest iPad, let me tell you that next spring Apple is expected to launch a new, redesigned iPad Pro with M3 chip and an OLED display. But if you get an M1 or M2 device, you will have iPad for many years.

klasma

macrumors 604
Jun 8, 2017
Yep, sorry, I was triggered by the nonspecific question in your first post. It’s not a question that can be answered without more details.

With regard to iPadOS updates, I wouldn’t count on more than 5-6 years. I’d also wait for what will be announced in Apple’s September event (if anything), or possibly the spring event, and prices for current models could drop after that.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
If you really want the newest and latest iPad, let me tell you that next spring Apple is expected to launch a new, redesigned iPad Pro with M3 chip and an OLED display. But if you get an M1 or M2 device, you will have iPad for many years.
I know about the leaks. Im only getting my ipad in December 2024!

not_anton

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2019
Adding my 5 cents:
If you use handwriting on iPad - then absolutely yes!
And take an iPad Pro: I tried a cheaper iPad Air first, but Apple screwed up the cooling (CPU and screen backlight are in the same place on Air, and separate on Pro) so the Air overheated in 5 min of handwriting at max screen brightness, reduced brightness and started lagging. Nothing like that on a Pro.

Context: I use handwriting in Notes to organize ideas, often before writing complex tech documents. Typically have 30-60 min handwriting sessions. iPad Pro handles these easily.

Reactions: Populus

not_anton

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2019
I found a good deal on M2 iPad Pro from Amazon. Must have even better deals nowadays. M2 is a total overkill for a tablet considering Apple makes brand new laptops with this CPU, should be a future proof choice.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
I had to check the date to make sure. You're planning on buying a new (or used) iPad in December 2024. That's over 1 year away :O .

My opinion: If you need a new iPad now, get it now. Otherwise, wait.

The iPad 5 was released in 2017, and stopped being sold in 2018. I don't know what the new features would be for an iPad Pro 11 would be, or what the use case is.

What would you se the iPad Pro for? Honestly, I'd save money and get a refurbished iPad 9 or iPad 10. I expect the iPad 9 to be discontinued by December, 2024, so you'd be able to save some money.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
About 6-7 years old (you should download mac tracker. It has detailed information in ALL apple devices.)
I would upgrade. 6-7 years have been quite old and starting unbearable slow down due to OS & software update. Except… if you only use it occasionally or you have no problem with old version apps and iPadOS.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I found a good deal on M2 iPad Pro from Amazon. Must have even better deals nowadays. M2 is a total overkill for a tablet considering Apple makes brand new laptops with this CPU, should be a future proof choice.
The only gripe I have with my 11” M2 iPad Pro is battery life. It is not bad by any means, but I previously had a 2018 11” iPad Pro, and that one had better battery life back then. Other than that, the M2 is like you said a total overkill for an iPad.

That’s why I’m not sure I should sell it and wait for the M3, which will be much more power efficient. Problem is, I don’t like OLED as I am one of those with PWM-related issues.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Thank you everyone for the help. I think i will go for a macbook air instead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.