Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveTo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
You will be waiting a while for M2. Still more M1 on the way. I would just get the Air to be honest. They hold good value.
I give it around March 2022. I’m fine with it. My usage is extremely limited. I in fact only use it a couple of times a week, if a website doesn’t load properly on iPhone/iPad or if I need to edit any photo more using tools available in Mac Photos app.

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
We're at a point now that the base MBA satisfies the needs of 95% of people.

I'd like to know who actually needs to edit 8K raw footage. Most people I know still have 1080P TVs.

Reactions: catean and Tagbert

LoveTo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
We're at a point now that the base MBA satisfies the needs of 95% of people.

I'd like to know who actually needs to edit 8K raw footage. Most people I know still have 1080P TVs.
Yeah, I personally don’t need to edit 8k. I don’t edit videos at all, for that matter. ? My needs will be fulfilled by any older generation macs too but I’d like to have a decent device which is not too old. As I said, I’m using 2015 MBP and have no real need to upgrade but want to have a decent mac in my arsenal.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
If you buy now, you will have a MacBook Air that is gonna feel prehistoric after just 6 months.

Most don't have this need to always own the 'latest' or 'best'. I get it, a lot of people have this need to stand out, for everyone else a laptop is a tool to get a job done and as long as it does that job, don't care what it looks like or how it feels.

Reactions: catean and LoveTo

htnt7919

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
If you don't need a new laptop right now, wait for 6-8 months and buy used MacBook with m1 max chip with apple care, you will be surprised how much you could save from being patience.

LoveTo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2021
If you don't need a new laptop right now, wait for 6-8 months and buy used MacBook with m1 max chip with apple care, you will be surprised how much you could save from being patience.
Hmm.. Never considered used devices. Will think about it.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Hmm.. Never considered used devices. Will think about it.
Apple refurb devices are no different to buying new ones. For the most part, they are simply returned within 14 days then badged as refurbished with a discount. I always look there first and have purchased many devices from Apple this way. Never had a single issue.

Reactions: Tagbert and LoveTo

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
Most don't have this need to always own the 'latest' or 'best'. I get it, a lot of people have this need to stand out, for everyone else a laptop is a tool to get a job done and as long as it does that job, don't care what it looks like or how it feels.
It’s not about about the need to stand out.

It’s about two things:
1) Maximizing return on investment.
2) Being passionate about computers and truly enjoy using them.

If you only cared about ”getting the job done” without caring about the experience then you wouldn’t buy a Mac in the first place.

You’d buy a cheap Dell laptop.

• Haha
Reactions: LoveTo and LeeW

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I had an M1 MBA earlier in the year, sold it to buy a M1 Mac Mini, now selling that to buy....yup...another M1 MBA.

As long as you don't need the 'pro' specs that the new M1 Pro/Max MBPs offer, the M1 MBA is an excellent buy, especially second hand.

Sure the new M2 MBA next year will have a more up-to-date design, and have better internal specs, but the needs of the average MBA user can be more than satisfied with the current gen one - great battery life and for most tasks it is blazingly fast.

Reactions: LoveTo

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
The M1 Air and Pro are still fantastic machines. All the benchmarks that were taken when they were released are still accurate today.

And if you wait a couple of weeks, I predict you're about to see a whole lot of them pop up quite cheaply on the second-hand market.

Reactions: LoveTo

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I had an M1 MBA earlier in the year, sold it to buy a M1 Mac Mini, now selling that to buy....yup...another M1 MBA.

As long as you don't need the 'pro' specs that the new M1 Pro/Max MBPs offer, the M1 MBA is an excellent buy, especially second hand.

Sure the new M2 MBA next year will have a more up-to-date design, and have better internal specs, but the needs of the average MBA user can be more than satisfied with the current gen one - great battery life and for most tasks it is blazingly fast.
Am I correct in saying that it's still not possible to use TWO external 1080p monitors with the M1 MBA of 2020?

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
The thing is, the M2 redesigned MacBook Air is complete speculation at this point. You’re better off buying what you need, when you need it, rather than waiting for a machine which may never materialise.

Bottom line, the M1 MacBook Air is still a great machine.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Am I correct in saying that it's still not possible to use TWO external 1080p monitors with the M1 MBA of 2020?
Correct, the M1 only supports a single external monitor, be it a 1080p one or a 6K one. It's a hardware limitation.

Some people have been successfully running two displays via some DisplayLink related hacks, but I don't know how stable that is.

Reactions: Cassady

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Apple refurb devices are no different to buying new ones. For the most part, they are simply returned within 14 days then badged as refurbished with a discount. I always look there first and have purchased many devices from Apple this way. Never had a single issue.

Yes but then you don’t get the original box, the wrapping and the layers you have to peel off, the whole experience of unboxing your very own Mac. That feeling of being the first to own an original device is also worth a certain something. I don’t buy computers that frequently, I like the experience to be a milestone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes but then you don’t get the original box, the wrapping and the layers you have to peel off, the whole experience of unboxing your very own Mac. That feeling of being the first to own an original device is also worth a certain something. I don’t buy computers that frequently, I like the experience to be a milestone.

I've yet to buy a refurb Mac but if it's similar to refurb iPads, packaging itself is the same. Only difference is the box graphics and it specifically mentions it's a refurb.

With that said, I think brand new discounted from Costco or Amazon for 8/256 and 8/512 configurations are sometimes cheaper than Apple certified refurb. I know my aunt recently got the 8/256 for $799 from Costco.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I've yet to buy a refurb Mac but if it's similar to refurb iPads, packaging itself is the same. Only difference is the box graphics and it specifically mentions it's a refurb.

With that said, I think brand new discounted from Costco or Amazon for 8/256 and 8/512 configurations are sometimes cheaper than Apple certified refurb. I know my aunt recently got the 8/256 for $799 from Costco.

Aha ok, I read elsewhere on this forum that refurbs came in plain white boxes which are not the same as the original product? Never having bought a refurb I can’t say from my own experience.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Aha ok, I read elsewhere on this forum that refurbs came in plain white boxes which are not the same as the original product? Never having bought a refurb I can’t say from my own experience.

Yeah, the boxes are plain. However, the "wrapping and layers you have to peel off" are the same as the original. The only difference are the external graphics on the box. Shrink wrap, physical box design and accessories are all the same as brand new.

Apple Refurb iPad Pro.JPG

Last edited:

meson

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2014
It is true that you can only connect one wired display. However Air Play and Sidecar offer additional options. My bar serves double duty as my work from home space. I regularly connect my M1 MBP (same hardware limitations as the Air) to a 21.5" 1080p display as my external display. If I need more real estate, I can also simultaneously Air Play a 1080p signal to my 4k TV mounted on the wall, and use my iPad in Sidecar mode, providing as many as 4 active displays simultaneously without any adapters or extra expenses.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
If you are going to use older displays like that (or two displays with Displaylink) you might want to get SwitchResX or similar apps. SwitchResX gives you access to alternate resolutions that the default Displays control may not offer. You can see and choose alternate resolutions, refresh rates and whether a display is considered “retina” or not. Mac OS has dropped some font rendering enhancements for older, low res displays and that can reduce clarity in some cases.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here

The only thing that is different is a new box with 'refurbished' on it. Everything else is absolutely identical as if it were brand new. Stop being a downer.

Reactions: Tagbert

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Still loving my M1 MacBook Air, still using it daily. I hot swap my desktop setup between my work Mac and my M1 Air--I recently bought an LG UltraFine 4K to use for both--and it's been just an amazing experience in general. I also love taking it with me places without feeling like I have to lug it around in a laptop bag and the battery seems to NEVER run out.

In a really weird way, it felt kind of freeing to move from my 12.9" iPad Pro setup to this. It's a much more portable package, and I'm just more productive in macOS these days. I'm not sure when I'll go back to iPadOS as a daily driver, but it was honestly really fun while it lasted.

Reactions: catean

Technerd108

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2021
If you can get one for $799 or so it is probably the best value laptop on the market-period. It will run well for a long time! It is the a much better buy now. Sure, there will be a new air with an m2 chip but it will cost probably a bit more than previous generation. On the flip side the new air should have new colors and general redesign. What is more important to you? New design and feature with latest tech? Or saving money?

I would wait for the next model because the redesign is going to be big and the air m1 has a pretty old design. If you are keeping the device for a few years is a couple hundred more important or is having a new design that will keep you happy not feeling you have an ancient device?

All that being said I don't think you will find a better laptop for the cost than the current m1 air.

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
It’s definitely still worth it. My laptop needed replacing and I couldn’t wait until the M2 MacBook Air’s come out. So, I ordered an M1 MacBook Air yesterday. It was delivered today, and I have to say that it’s a very impressive little machine. It’s very quick and responsive, it looks great, feels great, both weight and build materials. I’m very happy with it.
And the silence, oh the silence! Is amazing. It’s a great laptop for most tasks really, unless you need the power of one of the new Pro’s.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I just recieved my MBP 16' Max yesterday, and I'm glad I decided not to trade in my MBA M1 for a reduced price. I'm definitely keeping the MBA M1 until the wheels fall off. It's truly the perfect everyday portable laptop IMO, and the price makes it a steal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.