Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Only if you shot negative film, slides are just like digital, expose for the highlights and let the shadows fall where they may.
Yes, "negative film" was what I meant. I should have been more clear. Thanks. I never got a chance to work with slides in the dark room, but I guess it is too late now. :)

Apr 10, 2007
I really liked that picture. How did you get the sky to come out so vivid? It seems like a polarizer, but I thought polarizer would not work properly in an ultra wide angle ( based on Ken Rockwell :) )

No polarizer or any other filters, and almost no post processing, just increased the exposure and black point, but the unedited raw looks almost exactly the same.

It was extremely windy that day (I took a video of the wind link) and the sky was very clear that day, there were no tricks to it, I just got lucky. Later that day it was snowing there and in Vegas, you might remember hearing about it on the news back in December.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
If it's not a lens you need, then don't keep it, but exposure has nothing to do with the lens. Do you know how to use exposure lock? You see that pic with the brick buildings and the white sky? Meter off the sky, lock the exposure, and then shoot the same pic. Now the bricks will look under exposed and the sky will look nice.

The issue is the wide range of brightness in those pics. The bricks are in shadow, the sky fully lit. The Washington statue looks better because it's out in the middle of the field in full daylight, so it's much closer in brightness to the rest of the surroundings.

Generally, a lens will not impact metering. Color, yes. Metering, no. Try shooting the same pics with your 18-55IS kit (if you got that with the camera), and you'll see the same results.

The only other issue is with a SWA, you maybe be getting in a broader scene, and more likely hood of both exaggerated shadows and brightness. Try metering off the sky next time, then either use the M mode to manual put in the f/stop and ss, or exposure lock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.