Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it a good buy in 2020?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Series 3 user, I want to outsource opinion if it's still worth buying? I'm thinking of getting an Apple Watch, is Series 3 a good buy? Series 5 is still expensive in my opinion so getting that would not be a good option as I just upgraded to an 11 Pro.

Thank you

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Series 3 user, I want to outsource opinion if it's still worth buying? I'm thinking of getting an Apple Watch, is Series 3 a good buy? Series 5 is still expensive in my opinion so getting that would not be a good option as I just upgraded to an 11 Pro.

Thank you

To some extent .... you’ve answered your own question .. IMHO it’s worth buying if you only have the budget for a S3. It does also somewhat depend on your use case as to whether there are features in a 4 or 5 that you ‘need’ . May also be worth considering hunting out a good 4 or 5 on the used market, something still with Apple care. Certainly where I am based there are plenty of almost new examples available at sensible prices.

Reactions: rgyiv

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Thank you

Hard pass on the Series 3. With watchOS 7 approaching, I think it’s will really start showing it’s age. If anything, I would probably wait for a Series 4 discounted further in the next few months, given the Series 6 is likely imminent.

Reactions: akash.nu

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012

Thank you

If you can wait a few months, there's good chance they will put the S5 or a re-branded S4 out at the same price. My bet is on a S4/S5 hybrid using the S4/S5 chipset with no always on screen.

Reactions: jhfenton

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I would check out swappa

you can find some sweet deals you don’t all ways Need to buy from Apple . Com it self

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
Wouldn’t S3 support be dropped quite quickly because it is still 32-bit, whereas the S4 is 64-bit?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Yes. Other than the fact that Series 3 comes with the S3 processor, I don't see what not. Most people forgot get that the Apple Watch is a Watch first. My Series 1 after 5 years still performs like new. My only recommendations is a battery replacement.

Reactions: uknation87

antbob

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
32b isnt by itself really a limiting factor for the Watch. In fact one can argue that if Apple made S5 equivalent in 32b it would actually be slightly faster and more energy efficient. There is nothing on the Watch that really needs 64b or can benefit from it in any major way. Apps footprint is incredibly small and Watch doesnt have that much memory anyway to push 32b arch limits. Things like ML and Metal/GPU could possibly benefit but then its questionable to what extent provided it being a watch.

Wouldn’t S3 support be dropped quite quickly because it is still 32-bit, whereas the S4 is 64-bit?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I suggest a series 5. It will last you far longer than staying with a 3. There are many good used ones out there. I know because I sold several of them well below retail that were used but virtually new. People who bought them were really pleased. Also that they saved a lot of money.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I’ve generally been an advocate for buying the newest model for longevity, but the truth of the matter is that these days the battery is gonna degrade before your processor becomes obsolete.

So if an S3 is what you can afford, I’d go for it. They’re still selling it as new so it’s gonna get software for at least the next 3ish years. By then your battery will be conked out and it’ll be time to upgrade.

At $199 it’s a solid value.

Last edited:

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
3 is great and if it does what you need then yes. But! 6 will be out soon and (presumably) they will have a cheap model which, as stated above, will be at least a 4, prob a bit more expensive than the 3 is now as it has the ceramic back.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you can wait a few months, there's good chance they will put the S5 or a re-branded S4 out at the same price. My bet is on a S4/S5 hybrid using the S4/S5 chipset with no always on screen.

Bolded:

Ding-Ding-Ding.....

Apple will probably will re-introduce a Series 4, just with an upgraded processor. They did exact same thing with the Series 1, [which essentially was a first GEN watch], but they added the latest processor with an entry-level price. It probably Would be worth waiting at this point, but I definitely don’t recommend the Series 3 this close to September.

Reactions: ManicMarc

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I suppose it really depends if you want to wait wait wait ..... as with anything tech many people will tell you to wait until the next version ..... I’d be tempted to buy a used 4 or 5 now if your budget allows .... you won’t gain a great deal by waiting for the same watch in September (if indeed you can get one in September).

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
I forgot to mention that I live in Asia where Apple Care does not really exist, people don’t really buy insurance for smart device aside from mobile phone.

To some extent .... you’ve answered your own question .. IMHO it’s worth buying if you only have the budget for a S3. It does also somewhat depend on your use case as to whether there are features in a 4 or 5 that you ‘need’ . May also be worth considering hunting out a good 4 or 5 on the used market, something still with Apple care. Certainly where I am based there are plenty of almost new examples available at sensible prices.
Well I just want an Apple that does an apple watch. I’ll probably just going to be using it, to listen to offline music when I’m at work, since I work in a bank we’re not allowed to use mobile phones, only directors and up are allowed. Also, use it when I run and tell me the time. That’s basically what I need if for.

Hard pass on the Series 3. With watchOS 7 approaching, I think it’s will really start showing it’s age. If anything, I would probably wait for a Series 4 discounted further in the next few months, given the Series 6 is likely imminent.

I’m not really too fond of buying second hand goods. I have trust issues lol

is it not amazing how watches have come from a thing passed on through generations to "it's three years old, don't buy it"?
Right?? And earphones should last years and years until break, but now, optimized charging must be on to prevent battery damage so we can use it longer hahaha

I’ve generally been an advocate for buying the newest model for longevity, but the truth of the matter is that these days the battery is gonna degrade before your processor becomes obsolete.

So if an S3 is what you can afford, I’d go for it. They’re still selling it as new so it’s gonna get software for at least the next 3ish years. By then your battery will be conked out and it’ll be time to upgrade.

I suppose it really depends if you want to wait wait wait ..... as with anything tech many people will tell you to wait until the next version ..... I’d be tempted to buy a used 4 or 5 now if your budget allows .... you won’t gain a great deal by waiting for the same watch in September (if indeed you can get one in September).

I’ve been thinking of buying one since January and with my birthday coming up, I thought it would be nice gift for myself. lol So I just want to hear opinions of Apple series 3 users if it’s worth it in the long run.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Bolded:

Ding-Ding-Ding.....

Apple will probably will re-introduce a Series 4, just with an upgraded processor. They did exact same thing with the Series 1, [which essentially was a first GEN watch], but they added the latest processor with an entry-level price. It probably Would be worth waiting at this point, but I definitely don’t recommend the Series 3 this close to September.

Thinking about this, I wonder if it'll be an upgraded S3? Important to ensure there's a clear visual difference.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box

I too am on the fence about purchasing a Series 3 or Series 5, what you said really got me thinking cause new always sounds better but preparing for Software instead of hardware (value) sounds great

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I got my S3 a few weeks ago and it’s great for what I need.

All depends if you wanna wait for the S6 and a possible price drop for another model.

jbn858273

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2018
Belgium
My S3 black steel with Milanese loop is two years old and still like new. Changing from a Pebble, I thought I would miss the always on display but I haven't. Main functions for me are time (analogue face), notifications of course, an app called Stocard that displays my supermarket loyalty card with barcode, Authy for one-time codes (Google authenticator), Timer, and Reminders for the shopping list in said supermarkets. I charge it every two days.

Hope that helps, and Happy Birthday!

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
I have a cellular series 3 and you won't be disappointed. If anything should happen to your Apple watch, it won't hurt so much having to replace the watch.

Compare the features of the 3, 4, and 5 series and move forward.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
The 3 has performed well for me, albeit a tad slow at times. Hoping to squeeze 2 more years of life out it at least. 2 years of a fantastic watch for $169 seems very decent to me.

Considering it will support WatchOS 7 and Apple still has it on retail the likelihood of 2 more years of support seems fair.

Is it basic? Yes, you won’t get new watch faces or the hand washing feature. But Apple basic is far superior to other options at the same price. Honestly, not sure what I would do without it!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thinking about this, I wonder if it'll be an upgraded S3? Important to ensure there's a clear visual difference.

There wasn’t a visual difference though with the Series 1 and Series 2. Remember the Series one was a carbon-copied first GEN watch with an upgraded chip. What consumers will see and what Apple wants them to see, will be the cheaper/entry-level price point. I don’t think I need to be a ‘visual difference‘, but there needs to be a watch that’s attainable in terms of pricing points for consumers who are not willing to buy the stainless, ceramic, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.