Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Tesla is still not making money when they sell a car
This is out of date and incorrect. Their average cost to manufacture a car is 36,000. Their lowest priced car is about $45,000. They have very high margins on cars compared to most of the industry and are making quite a bit of money quarterly now (not like Apple, but nobody is like Apple).

But no, I don't think there will be a Tesla phone, and I don't think it would be a concern to Apple if there were.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
So we can expect Apple to lose share in the central Saharan market?
That was literally not the point of what I was saying, but I appreciate the sarcasm. The phone will work literally almost anywhere because it's a satellite phone. It doesn't rely on towers. This is quite a big advantage over typical carrier phones. In most situations you will get reception literally anywhere, except where the sky is blocked out, like if you live in a forest or something.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Tesla has to write their own OS for it to be even remotely a threat

The overhead to make a brand new OS is almost unfeasible in 2022. Like, if you haven’t been making a new OS since maybe 2014 at minimum it’s already too late for it now

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
If it’s a totally new OS then it has no chance. Good luck getting developers to make apps for a new platform.

Microsoft payed developers to make apps for windows mobile and still went under.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I agree I doubt they will make a phone but if they do it’ll likely be android. Which really who cares. They can’t make their own OS because transitioning people from iOS and android to another OS without corresponding apps would be extremely challenging. Not many people can do it. I think they should just focus on AI whether it’s the rumors robot they want to make (which can replace human workers btw in their factories) or other industries. Their ability to harness ai is pretty amazing. How they can use the cars cameras to analyze and upload data to a main data center for analysis then teach the cars new complications based on the analysis via software update.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
The correct question ought to be - will this Tesla phone be a match for the iPhone and surrounding ecosystem?

Not a chance in hell.
Matching the iPhone itself is easy and many have done it successfully, but ...

... matching the Apple iStuff ecosystem is a massive challenge that none of the competitors have managed to pull off.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
In the recent month it has been viral in social media platforms the rumor that tesla will release smart phone in the upcoming years called Tesla model Pi. it is rumored that tesla getting in the smart phone market as a response of apple plan to make electric cars to compete with tesla cars. since Tesla is a premium car company, they are likely targeting premium segment, the segment that is dominated by iPhone. i think it will unlikely targeting budget android phones. Do you think Tesla Phone will be a serious threat for iPhone? or for apple in general?
It will probably run Android and Tesla will be at the mercy of what Google does which I doubt they would want that.
If they are going to do a Proprietary OS, is it even going to be worth the time and resources for them?

Whatever they choose to do it would be very interesting. The smartphone market needs a big shakeup right now, so if Tesla want to come in they better come in and be fully prepared to commit long term.

Let’s not forget how Apple came in and pretty much had to reimagine the smartphone and how people use them and then on top of that build an entire infrastructure and ecosystem to support all of it. Many companies that enter the smartphone business don’t seem to fully understand just how comprehensively prepared they must be. No half jobs. I’ll be disappointed if they come in with just another slab device.

Last edited:

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
not really an apples to apples comparison though is it?
More than you think. iOS didn’t exist and the fans of the big players made fun of Apple for even thinking about going into the phone arena challenging the existing players.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
That was literally not the point of what I was saying, but I appreciate the sarcasm. The phone will work literally almost anywhere because it's a satellite phone. It doesn't rely on towers. This is quite a big advantage over typical carrier phones. In most situations you will get reception literally anywhere, except where the sky is blocked out, like if you live in a forest or something.
But to be clear, satellite connections are far flakier than tower connections. Forget a forest, it can be interrupted by a single tree. Or a power line. Or a light cloud. The current Starlink dishes can lose connection if a strong gust of wind hits them at the right angle.

A desert is literally the one place it might actually be able to offer reliable service, as long as you're not next to a tall dune.

Ignore any competition with Apple or whatever industry you think this competes with and just look at the things Musk promises and how many of them never ship or ship late or ship late and remain unfinished.

Reactions: Analog Kid

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
But to be clear, satellite connections are far flakier than tower connections. Forget a forest, it can be interrupted by a single tree. Or a power line. Or a light cloud. The current Starlink dishes can lose connection if a strong gust of wind hits them at the right angle.

A desert is literally the one place it might actually be able to offer reliable service, as long as you're not next to a tall dune.

Ignore any competition with Apple or whatever industry you think this competes with and just look at the things Musk promises and how many of them never ship or ship late or ship late and remain unfinished.
Well that doesn’t sound great at all.

Starscape

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Florida and New York
That’s funny, we must live in different (online) worlds… my impression is that everyone thinks he’s the world’s biggest clown (to put it very mildly).

I think most of the people that criticize him are just plain jealous of am eccentric and very intelligent guy that’s super-rich, lives life on his own terms, and basically doesn’t care what other people think of him. And he just happened to create a very successful car company with incredible technology that is constantly breaking new ground in the industry.

But other than that, maybe he’s a clown. But a clown I admire.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
This is out of date and incorrect. Their average cost to manufacture a car is 36,000. Their lowest priced car is about $45,000. They have very high margins on cars compared to most of the industry and are making quite a bit of money quarterly now (not like Apple, but nobody is like Apple).

But no, I don't think there will be a Tesla phone, and I don't think it would be a concern to Apple if there were.

Manufacturing cost is not the cost to get the car to market.

R&D, warranty/parts/logistics support, shipment to the destination country, passing local laws, etc.

The purchase price will include all that, so the profit margin won't be $9k on average. It will be MUCH less.

Reactions: Taz Mangus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.