Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
From the looks of the updated parts metal dome i dont see how apple could have different shapes and sizes for these parts. This is apple we are talking about. They have machines that make these exact pieces and their machining work is the best in the business.
[doublepost=1563435137][/doublepost]Im going to laugh pretty hard if Apple releases a butterfly macbook pro next year and it has more issues than the 2019 keyboard which seems to be as reliable as the 2015 and previous macbook pro’s (5% failure rate).
a re-design with a butterfly keyboard would turn off people from macbooks completely and i don't think apple are that dumb to release a BRAND new macbook design and put it on the keyboard replacement program, that would be an insult to the mac brand and apple itself. So i am sure a new scissor keyboard is coming

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
a re-design with a butterfly keyboard would turn off people from macbooks completely and i don't think apple are that dumb to release a BRAND new macbook design and put it on the keyboard replacement program, that would be an insult to the mac brand and apple itself. So i am sure a new scissor keyboard is coming
well heres hoping that a new redesign has 0 issues. Im fine buying a 2019 with an updated keyboard. I hope apple can get back on track but im not holding my breath with a redesign new hardware issues because apple has always had them.

Reactions: Never mind

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
well heres hoping that a new redesign has 0 issues. Im fine buying a 2019 with an updated keyboard. I hope apple can get back on track but im not holding my breath with a redesign new hardware issues because apple has always had them.
i am sure that this time the keyboard will be tested very well.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I went through five 2018 Macbook Pros within three months and the longest it took for a keyboard to fail was four weeks, the shortest – 15 days. (I'm a writer.) I'm now on a Lenovo Hacbook Pro – zero keyboard complaints, but to be honest I preferred the feel of the MBP. Just not thee prroblems with stuck kys that reesponded twic or not at al.

I'm very curious about the 2019 version, as I said I loved the feel. And Lenovo trackpad is... not quite like Apple's, to put it mildly.

We still use the 2016 Macbook and the keyboard is fine. Just loud. I was so careful not to encounter a particle of dust with the MBP that I didn't even eat in the same room.

...we said in 2016, 2017, and 2018 ;)

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
I went through five 2018 Macbook Pros within three months and the longest it took for a keyboard to fail was four weeks, the shortest – 15 days. (I'm a writer.) I'm now on a Lenovo Hacbook Pro – zero keyboard complaints, but to be honest I preferred the feel of the MBP. Just not thee prroblems with stuck kys that reesponded twic or not at al.

I'm very curious about the 2019 version, as I said I loved the feel. And Lenovo trackpad is... not quite like Apple's, to put it mildly.

We still use the 2016 Macbook and the keyboard is fine. Just loud. I was so careful not to encounter a particle of dust with the MBP that I didn't even eat in the same room.

since ur a writer best stick with lenovo till 2020 mbp

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida

Those that say, I’m sure of this, and I’m sure of that statement haven’t been around very long. In the last few years, Apple has let us all down. People are so gullible sometimes. Let’s just hope it’s better, but I believe if one is foolishly thinking that Apple would never do this again, just look at recent history. ;)

Last edited:

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
I’m sure of this, and I’m sure of that statement haven’t been around very long. In the last few years, Apple has let us all down. People are so gullible sometimes. Let’s just hope it’s better, but I believe if one is foolishly thinking that Apple would never do this again, just look at recent history. ;)
i am only thinking this because 2020 will the year of redesign and in my opinion i don't think apple will make a fool of themselves again for the second time. :)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
common now you dont think apple tested the current keyboards? Then kept releasing them with updates. Youd trust new hardware over hardware we have now?
[doublepost=1563451317][/doublepost]
I’m sure of this, and I’m sure of that statement haven’t been around very long. In the last few years, Apple has let us all down. People are so gullible sometimes. Let’s just hope it’s better, but I believe if one is foolishly thinking that Apple would never do this again, just look at recent history. ;)
Recent? Apple hasnt had good luck with new hardware for well over 10 years now.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

There are some things that are difficult to catch, no matter how much you test. Of course they tested the first butterfly keyboard as well. But even if a design performs admirably in a lab or with a smaller sample of users, actually rolling it out to millions of users might reveal unexpected issues.

Reactions: x-evil-x

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

i think the updated keyboard parts with nylon help with the heat that was more than likely causing the issues. Pre 2018(no membrane) dirt and debris might of been a contributor and it seems like the 2019’s dont really have any issues as of now which is great. One month in and my keyboard is fine. Feels different than my 2016 also. Not loud like that one was its a softer feel. I quite like it.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I thought it might be a good time to revisit this question. Has anyone with a 2019 MacBook Pro or 2019 MacBook Air had troubles with the keyboard? And I don't mean not liking the key travel.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
I thought it might be a good time to revisit this question. Has anyone with a 2019 MacBook Pro or 2019 MacBook Air had troubles with the keyboard? And I don't mean not liking the key travel.

2019 MacBook Pro here, no issues so far. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
no issues with mine from June of this year. I do also barely use it I'm mostly on the magic keyboard. I still think this year is the best year for this generation of machine for the keyboard and other issues. 4-5 generations of improvements should iron out a lot of the issues people where having. Taking a chance on a newer design apple might release soon is riskier Imo then just getting a 2019 at this point.

Reactions: javisan

no girls

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
getting uneven keyboard backlight on commonly pressed keys on my 2019 keyboard. keyboard is 2 months old after coming in from a replacement.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Any updates? The 13" 2019 MacBook Pro (1.4 ghz) refurbished is a few hundred dollars cheaper that the 13" 2020 (1.4 ghz). If the keyboard issue for the 2019 has been more or less resolved, I am inclined to get the 2019 version. Is it worth taking the plunge and getting the 13" 2019 MacBook Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.