Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
All problems solved by enabling Multicasting and IGMP-Snooping on my Wifi Router. Additionally disabled Airtime Fairness and locked Homepod Mac-Adress to 5Ghz Wifi bands. With HompePodOS 17.2 all problems gone.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Just my personal opinion, if you are only using 1 or 2 speakers you will not have any issues with the HomePod. And the sound quality for the price can't be beat. However, if you do a multi room setup with 5 speakers like I have, HomePod will start giving issues. I have solid WIFI, no other devices give me issues. I've now completely switched over to SONOS and I am so happy. but the price is much more expensive.
Now when Sonos have F*cked upp I am considering switching to Homepods instead. I will miss my two Move speakers, so great to just move them to any other location and continue to play while the 7 other Play One keeps playing in the whole house. I will also miss crossfade. I can’t understand how Apple has failed to offer us a battery powered device.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Now when Sonos have F*cked upp I am considering switching to Homepods instead. I will miss my two Move speakers, so great to just move them to any other location and continue to play while the 7 other Play One keeps playing in the whole house. I will also miss crossfade. I can’t understand how Apple has failed to offer us a battery powered device.
Can I ask what issues you are having with the new app? Mine seems to work fine, and crossfade still works.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Oh boy, where to start. Control of alarms where missing at first, you cant add anything to the que, just replace the que, telling it to play ome speaker A makes it play on B or C or whatever. It’s ridiculous how bad it is. There is no crossfade setting in the Home app.
Here is 49 pages of complaints about the new app https://en.community.sonos.com/product-updates/the-new-sonos-mobile-app-web-app-6891770/index55.html
i have now tried two homepods for the day, I dont like it. Siri in Swedish is much worse than ever so it basically cant be used and that leaves me with control only in the Home app which is terrible. I cant add songs or anything so I dont get people raving about it.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Ok, see attached images so you can locate where they moved "crossfade" to. It's working good for me. When you say I ask it to play in speaker A and then it plays in Speaker B or C do you mean in the Sonos app or using voice commands? I just ask so I can try myself and see?

Don't get me going on HomePod. Yes trying to control trough home app is a pain.

Oh boy, where to start. Control of alarms where missing at first, you cant add anything to the que, just replace the que, telling it to play ome speaker A makes it play on B or C or whatever. It’s ridiculous how bad it is. There is no crossfade setting in the Home app.
Here is 49 pages of complaints about the new app https://en.community.sonos.com/product-updates/the-new-sonos-mobile-app-web-app-6891770/index55.html
i have now tried two homepods for the day, I dont like it. Siri in Swedish is much worse than ever so it basically cant be used and that leaves me with control only in the Home app which is terrible. I cant add songs or anything so I dont get people raving about it.
IMG_7D56A1EFA194-1.jpeg
IMG_94696DDD6044-1.jpeg

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Crossfade is no problem, I say that is what I would miss moving from Sonos to Homepods.
1 Where is add to que?
2 Where do you rearrange the que?

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Are HomePod Mini really good speakers?
I had 3 Amazon Echo dots and Echo show----the Homepod mini, as far as sound, blows them away. However, the main reason for getting rid of the Echo units was "spying". I was getting suggestions from Alexa on my phone and Echo that could have ONLY been from listening to us. But I digress--

For the OP---I have not experienced any problems that were worse than those of Amazon. The occasional reboot would fix the issue. However, coming from an Alexa, you'll have to rephrase some commands a bit differently to get the desired result---you eventually get used to it.

• Love
Reactions: Gk200062YVR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.