Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Yeah! Those notebooks are very good, I'd just be sure to check that the "G" number is relatively recent, I almost got fooled by a best buy offer for a G4 notebook of that kind that was selling for $300, and I almost bought it, since a core i7 for just 300 dollars would normally be a great buy, except the laptop was nearly 10 years old.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
As far as I can tell G10 is the latest.

Do you know if "anti-glare" means matte for the display options? Pretty much every one of them is listed as "ant-glare".

Last edited:

nearfield

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
Yes, anti-glare means matte display. I have the 845 G10 with Ryzen 7 and 2.5k display. Very nice machine, quiet, only the high-res screen spoils the battery life a little bit. You can even take the Ryzen 5, which is not too different from the 7 if I remember the discussion from notebookcheck correctly. Just avoid the privacy screen and the screens with 250 nits. 400 nits should be ok.

Reactions: ghanwani

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Yes, anti-glare means matte display. I have the 845 G10 with Ryzen 7 and 2.5k display. Very nice machine, quiet, only the high-res screen spoils the battery life a little bit. You can even take the Ryzen 5, which is not too different from the 7 if I remember the discussion from notebookcheck correctly. Just avoid the privacy screen and the screens with 250 nits. 400 nits should be ok.
Thanks. There appears to be 5, 5 Pro, 7, 7 Pro. You think it’s ok to stick with the 5?

For screen I was planning to get 400 nits because I wanted low blue light (LBL).

For the 512GB SSD, do you know what is the difference between base and 4x4? There’s no difference in price.

nearfield

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
Mine came with a Samsung PCIe 4.0x4 SSD, which had good results in the test, but I don't know what the difference in the configurations on the HP page is. It was a preconfigured unit that had pretty good specs including 32 GB of RAM.
Check these reviews out. They also talk about the processor, apparently it's not the Ryzen 5 that comes recommended but one of the Ryzen 7s

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-El...t-business-laptop-with-AMD-Zen4.741264.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-s-...h-the-slower-AMD-Zen4-processor.756022.0.html

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It is a little pricy for the 8gb ram but a nice machine. You are paying a premium for a work build. This laptop is built to heavy duty standards to be used 8 hours a day for 5 days a week until usually a company upgrades. So they are tough and built to high end standards including the screen.

I would prefer a Ryzen 7 or Intel ultra personally but it is nor bad as configured with ram as the only exception.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I'm now getting confused. :(

A Framework laptop with AMD and 16/512 can be had for approx $1500.
But is it built to EliteBook [read: business class] ruggedness standards? That’s the point, here, why you’d pick an EliteBook/ ProBook/ Latitude/ ThinkPad T series over a Framework or an Envy/ Pavilion/ Inspiron/ IdeaPad consumer laptop.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
But is it built to EliteBook [read: business class] ruggedness standards? That’s the point, here, why you’d pick an EliteBook/ ProBook/ Latitude/ ThinkPad T series over a Framework or an Envy/ Pavilion/ Inspiron/ IdeaPad consumer laptop.
I'm having a "Windows moment" with my work machine which is again making me rethink my whole thing. The current one is where the fans fire up full speed and the machine crawls...while just using a browser. Rebooting doesn't seem to help.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I'm having a "Windows moment" with my work machine which is again making me rethink my whole thing. The current one is where the fans fire up full speed and the machine crawls...while just using a browser. Rebooting doesn't seem to help.
Windows Updates? Patch Tuesday was on the 13th this month. Look for Windows Modules Installer Worker process or Windows Update or Update Orchestrator services in Task Manager and sort by CPU or Disk to see if they are misbehaving.
Antivirus? Do you have an SSD installed?
Thinking out loud here.

I advise my clients to figure what they need to do first, then pick the software that helps them do that. Pick the platform (Windows, Mac, Linux) that software runs best on, then last pick the hardware for that platform. For instance, I'd pick a Windows computer if you had to run Microsoft Office 365; the Windows and Mac versions have different feature sets and aren't the same: PowerPoint timings are different between Windows and Mac.

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Windows Updates? Patch Tuesday was on the 13th this month. Look for Windows Modules Installer Worker process or Windows Update or Update Orchestrator services in Task Manager and sort by CPU or Disk to see if they are misbehaving.
Antivirus? Do you have an SSD installed?
Thinking out loud here.
It's a corporate image, so it definitely could be something there. There's an InventoryAgent taking 15% of CPU but nothing else significant. Given these are multicore processors, that should really be nothing. It doesn't explain the fans fired up like a jet engine ready for takeoff.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
It's a corporate image, so it definitely could be something there. There's an InventoryAgent taking 15% of CPU but nothing else significant. Given these are multicore processors, that should really be nothing. It doesn't explain the fans fired up like a jet engine ready for takeoff.
Fan curves between a Windows and a Mac are really different; Windows prioritizes performance and Mac prioritizes quietness. Try to get a Mac's fans to turn on unless you install Macs Fan Control.

Multiple Chrome-based browsers with a lot of processes running simultaneously? Also, Edge runs in the background from startup unless configured differently, even when it isn't actively picked.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Fan curves between a Windows and a Mac are really different; Windows prioritizes performance and Mac prioritizes quietness. Try to get a Mac's fans to turn on unless you install Macs Fan Control.

Multiple Chrome-based browsers with a lot of processes running simultaneously? Also, Edge runs in the background from startup unless configured differently, even when it isn't actively picked.
I do have a few browser tabs open but they are mostly static pages. Still, fans running at full speed and machine hot really makes me question things. Does this kind of stuff happen with Linux?

Mac is out for me because my eyes simply cannot handle the displays that came with the M1 and later. I think it's due to temporal dithering, but there's no way to know for sure. I do know that I can handle hours of being on a Windows machine with no problems but get eye pain and headaches within minutes on a mac...noticeable even when trying it in the store. If I bring it back home (bought and returned multiple times), my eyes start watering after 30-60 min of use.

Reactions: sgtaylor5

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I do have a few browser tabs open but they are mostly static pages. Still, fans running at full speed and machine hot really makes me question things. Does this kind of stuff happen with Linux?

Mac is out for me because my eyes simply cannot handle the displays that came with the M1 and later. I think it's due to temporal dithering, but there's no way to know for sure. I do know that I can handle hours of being on a Windows machine with no problems but get eye pain and headaches within minutes on a mac...noticeable even when trying it in the store. If I bring it back home (bought and returned multiple times), my eyes start watering after 30-60 min of use.
sorry the Mac isn't for your eyes; must be tough to handle.

one page can have multiple processes in a modern browser. Look at Task Manager. You might have Edge and Chrome running at the same time, with many processes each. I won't belabor this point, though.

nearfield

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
I do get that very rarely on my Elitebook with a clean install of Enterprise Windows 11. I don't know why, and it hasn't happened recently.

But back to your original question, the Elitebook is ridiculously easy to maintain/upgrade just using one regular screw driver, and you usually get replacement batteries from HP, if you ever need one, even years after you bought your unit. On top of that, my Elitebook came with a 3-year on-site warranty for apparently no extra cost.

Reactions: Technerd108

Kerry91

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2020
Did you buy the laptop since then ? If yes do you enjoy it ?

If you didn't buy it yet I would suggest you to find one on Craiglist or similar. Recent Elitebooks can be found for pretty good prices on the second hand market, just like Thinkpads. Those low prices are explained by the fact that those laptops used to be professional machines owned by businesses and ended up being sold by employees who get them for free.

Few months ago I had the chance to buy a mint condition Elitebook 840 G10 for not even 550$ whereas its list price was 1800$. So for me it's a pity to buy it brand new at full price from HP whereas we can get this kind of professional laptop for way less by being more patient if it's possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.