Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Good day everyone. I don't know which one to pick between an ipad pro 12.9 or a macbook/macbook pro.

Currently, I have an iPad Air 1 and a 2011 windows laptop and is thinking of upgrading one of the two. Budget is a bit tight since med school is expensive enough. My daily usage usually revolves reading A LOT of PDF and ebooks for studying and simple word processing tasks for essays etc. The bad thing is that my printer only uses USB to print so if I want to print a file from my ipad, I need to send that file (either through email or dropbox) to the my kinda slow laptop and use that laptop's USB to print that file.

I'm leaning towards the ipad pro since I would use it more on a daily basis as a book. Won't buy a new printer though since this one still works (besides still using a USB).

Should I buy a new iPad Pro and just print through my old laptop?
Should I buy a new macbook and keep this ipad air (shouldn't have upgraded to iOS 10)? Thanks guys!

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I vote for the ipad pro for your needs. And I have a 2015 macbook pro and an ipad pro 9.7". I know you said you dont want a new printer but still I want to recommend mine. Its an HP 3520 deskjet printer. Small, cost $69 at Walmart and I can print from my ipad with it.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I would vote for the MacBook. The iPad is great for some things, but it sounds like you are wanting it to replace your Windows laptop and your iPad Air. The ipad pro is closer to a computer replacement than previous iPads, but it still has serious limitations. I went all in on an iPad pro to replace my computer and while certain things were great, I ran into too many roadblocks and the tasks that are effortless on a Mac quickly became a headache on an iPad. MacBooks are so small, powerful and just more productive than an iPad pro. I don't regret going back to a MacBook as my primary machine. It's much easier to complete even the basic stuff on a Mac.

If you think that your Windows laptop can still do the stuff that the iPad can't, then maybe consider the iPad pro. But for full replacement, the MacBook is the much smarter buy.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Considering you already have an iPad, you should easily be able to make the decision on your own.

Not taking into account how fast and smooth your iPad is or isn't, as a new iPad will obviously perform better, does your iPad do everything you need in a computer and does it do it efficiently?

If you can get by with using your iPad Air for all of your work and that works well for you, get the iPad Pro. If not, you might want to check out a new laptop.

Reactions: ericwn

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
If the tasks listed are truly most of what you'll be doing with the device, then I'd lean towards the iPad. It's much better for reading pdfs than a computer for me, and it can certainly handle simple word processing. I used an iPad as my primary device when I was getting my MBA and it worked well enough, but there were times when I needed to use a computer (creating a table of contents in a paper, etc).

My suggestion would be to try living with just your current iPad for the next few weeks. If it works well for you.
, then upgrade to the 12". It's essentially the same thing with a bigger screen, faster, has the pencil, etc. if the air works for you, then the 12" pro will be fine.

Overall my feelings on the iPad are that it's 90% able to replace my computer, but that last 10% is a real hassle to try to force on an iPad.

I would suggest keeping an eye out for a deal on a printer, you can get them super cheap nowadays and AirPrint is so simple to use.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I had a MacBook Pro then I got the iPad air two started using it more and more then three months later they announce the iPad Pro 12.9 I was sold got rid of my air 2 and And ordered hey Pro 12.9 getting it just a month later quickly stopped using my Macbookpro and using the Pro 12.9 more and more now I use it every day except for hard-core gaming on my MacBook Pro 2015 most likely won't ever get a Macbookpro anytime soon I'm now having have the Pro 12.9 for over a year don't see the immediate need to update to generation number to possibly GEN three depending hope this helps you

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
I vote for the ipad pro for your needs. And I have a 2015 macbook pro and an ipad pro 9.7". I know you said you dont want a new printer but still I want to recommend mine. Its an HP 3520 deskjet printer. Small, cost $69 at Walmart and I can print from my ipad with it.

I have HP1102w (a wireless printer).
However, to set it up, still needed USB.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I would get the Macbook since it can do it all. You need a machine that can do everything like a traditional pc. Sometimes the iPad is not practical.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The Macbook is a better tablet than the iPad is a computer. There is no difference in portability. I would go with the rmb unless you need the pencil or touch screen for some reason.

It is somewhat ironic that Apple has said they believe the iPad can replace a laptop and somehow introduced a laptop that can easily replace the iPad. The lines are a little blurred but the times you need to do something and the iPad just can't do it will become annoying.

My rmb 12" 2016 512 storage is my most favorite Mac I have owned to date.

Reactions: capathy21 and mk313

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I would get a new MacBook as it's a lot more versatile than the iPad Pro, you have an actual file system and you can run desktop class apps. To me the iPad Pro is more of a luxury item and a great media consumption device or good for taking notes or drawing. I'd get the iPad pro further down the line to replace your iPad Air to compliment your MacBook if your budget allows.

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
The Macbook is a better tablet than the iPad is a computer. There is no difference in portability. I would go with the rmb unless you need the pencil or touch screen for some reason.

It is somewhat ironic that Apple has said they believe the iPad can replace a laptop and somehow introduced a laptop that can easily replace the iPad. The lines are a little blurred but the times you need to do something and the iPad just can't do it will become annoying.

My rmb 12" 2016 512 storage is my most favorite Mac I have owned to date.

I disagree with the first sentence. The iPad is a computer, and the MacBook is far from a tablet. Even if they weigh the same.

As for the use case of the OP, I would recommend the iPad Pro 9.7 or 12.9. The printer issue is a big sticking point but since you have an old laptop, just consider that as a printer terminal. And do the rest of the nice things on your iPad Pro.

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
Coming from someone who owns the 12.9'' Pro along with a MBP. I have to agree with the majority of the previous posts. The iPad Pro isn't a true computer replacement. I do agree that most things are able to be completed on the Pro with ease, however I still run into tasks that can be completed blindfolded on my MBP vs on my iPad Pro. It really comes down to what you are wanting to accomplish on your devices in order to get maximum usage and benefits from. For some, the iPad Pro really can be a laptop replacement. For others, the lack of a true file system and desktop class applications make the iPad Pro fall short. Again, it really comes down to everything you are wanting to accomplish from the device.

Reactions: mk313

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

Whoa! Did you get that MacBook that has a touch screen, is able to use the Apple Pencil, detaches from the keyboard, and runs a touch-friendly version of Mac OS X?

No? Well, then that was a pretty ridiculous statement.

The MacBook is an ultra-sweet piece of kit, but a tablet it is so not and it in no way makes a better tablet in any kind of comparison. At best you can say "It replaces what I used to use my tablet for because I don't need/want a touch screen".

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
Replace the drive with a SSD, max out the ram and load KDE Neon (Linux) on the laptop and it run surprisingly well. Consider using FedEx office for printing copies. Go with IPad Pro!

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Whoa! Did you get that MacBook that has a touch screen, is able to use the Apple Pencil, detaches from the keyboard, and runs a touch-friendly version of Mac OS X?

No? Well, then that was a pretty ridiculous statement.

The MacBook is an ultra-sweet piece of kit, but a tablet it is so not and it in no way makes a better tablet in any kind of comparison. At best you can say "It replaces what I used to use my tablet for because I don't need/want a touch screen".

I was obviously talking about portability.

Reactions: capathy21

svendobbelaere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
The bad thing is that my printer only uses USB to print so if I want to print a file from my ipad, I need to send that file (either through email or dropbox) to the my kinda slow laptop and use that laptop's USB to print that file.

What router do you have? The one my parents have has a USB port for a printer, and I plugged their non-networked printer into that and hey, it's available on the network now. Might be an option for you too?

Actually, the Apple Airport we use also has a USB port for the printer, although our printer has ethernet built-in, so I don't use it.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
If you absolutely do not want to replace your printer (I agree with others that you might want to revisit this position because there are some good printers under $80), then you want to get a device with legacy ports. The MacBook and 2016 MacBook Pro have USB-C ports only, so you will need to buy dongles.

If money is real tight, you might consider a MBA or 2015 MBP. There are some great deals on these computers, and they should easily last you through Med School. I have seen the MBA on sale at BB for $799, and this does not include a student discount.....food for thought.

BTW - My rule of thumb is; If you need to type a lot, get the device with an OS designed for keyboard and mouse (i.e. laptop). If you only type occasionally and primarily want a touch experience for mobile computing, get the device with a mobile OS designed for touch.

I have two kids in college (not Med School), and I have asked them about iPad vs MacBook for school. They both absolutely feel they need a laptop for college. They know of no student that uses an iPad only at their universities....zero....zilch. Of course, YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
OP, You forgot something? You can say good bye Air 1 and old windows laptop......you can welcome Microsoft's powerful Surface Pro 4. It has USB you can use it to printer! Windows 10 is getting better nowadays!

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
OP, You forgot something? You can say good bye Air 1 and old windows laptop......you can welcome Microsoft's powerful Surface Pro 4. It has USB you can use it to printer! Windows 10 is getting better nowadays!

I wouldn't - at least not right now. The Surface Pro is due for a refresh very soon (March or April) - so you can look forward to a better spec SP5 or a discounted SP4.

Badrottie is right - the Surface Pro is a good option. For me, it's nowhere NEAR as user friendly as the iPad, and don;t count on a tablet experience (it's a desktop on a tablet), but it's a good option. Windows 10 is getting better, though I've pretty much given up on Continuum as anything more than a clever idea that has yet to materialize.

I know I sounded negative on the Surface and Windows 10, but as long as you accept the desktop user experience it's a fantastic device! I have a Surface Pro 3 and I absolutely love it for the area it fills for me!

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
The Macbook is a better tablet than the iPad is a computer.

I knew exactly what you meant and it's not surprising that several others are in an uproar over your statement. The ipad can do many things but for certain things, you NEED a computer. With the rMB, you can accomplish everything and never NEED an ipad. Sure some people prefer content consumption or certain tasks through the ipad touch interface or through apps vs. browsers, but all ipad tasks can be accomplished on a MacBook. However, all computer tasks cannot be accomplished on an ipad. Of course having both products is ideal but the rMB truly can replace any NEED for an ipad due to its size, weight, and overall portability.

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
I knew exactly what you meant and it's not surprising that several others are in an uproar over your statement. The ipad can do many things but for certain things, you NEED a computer. With the rMB, you can accomplish everything and never NEED an ipad. Sure some people prefer content consumption or certain tasks through the ipad touch interface or through apps vs. browsers, but all ipad tasks can be accomplished on a MacBook. However, all computer tasks cannot be accomplished on an ipad. Of course having both products is ideal but the rMB truly can replace any NEED for an ipad due to its size, weight, and overall portability.

There really should be a drinking game called "things that iPad can do that the Mac can't" lol.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

False. A MacBook (Pro or otherwise) cannot do everything an iPad can do, especially the iPad Pro.

Your statement may be true on an individual level, but it's not true for everybody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.