Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I knew exactly what you meant and it's not surprising that several others are in an uproar over your statement. The ipad can do many things but for certain things, you NEED a computer. With the rMB, you can accomplish everything and never NEED an ipad. Sure some people prefer content consumption or certain tasks through the ipad touch interface or through apps vs. browsers, but all ipad tasks can be accomplished on a MacBook. However, all computer tasks cannot be accomplished on an ipad. Of course having both products is ideal but the rMB truly can replace any NEED for an ipad due to its size, weight, and overall portability.

I'm not arguing one way or the other but that analogy isn't accurate on any level. A MacBook can't be folded flat to use the screen only, which is the physical definition of a tablet while the iPad can do most computer tasks. So the iPad is a better computer than the MacBook is a tablet.
[doublepost=1486570599][/doublepost]Back to the OP's question. Apple has a generous return policy, buy the iPad Pro and use it for two weeks. If it combined with your old laptop doesn't work, return it and get the MacBook.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I'm not arguing one way or the other but that analogy isn't accurate on any level. A MacBook can't be folded flat to use the screen only, which is the physical definition of a tablet while the iPad can do most computer tasks. So the iPad is a better computer than the MacBook is a tablet.

I was referring to what the two machines can accomplish, not so much the physical design.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Get the MacBook. I've been using iPads since 2010 but recently sold my iPad Pro 12.9". The iPad is great as a content consumption device, note taker and PDF reader, but was a real pain when I wanted to get any real work done. I bought the Apple keyboard for it, and although that helped a lot, it really becomes tedious to use after a while without a mouse. I soon became quite acquainted with gorilla arm. Plus, the cost of the iPad and keyboard was pretty much the cost of a MacBook. I did want the iPad to replace my desktop and tried to convince myself that it was, but in the end there are just too many limitations.

I'm axiously waiting for a new Mac mini to come out this spring to replace my ancient g5, but if they don't give it some real love, then I'll look at Windows PCs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.