Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melias24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Hey all, so i was going to buy the 5s, but i due to other reasons i am now opting for the 5c. I'd just like to know will this phone last me another 2 years until i'm earning enough to buy the iphone 6s or 7 when the price comes down? I don't play too heavy games, and camera quality seems alright, much better than my stuffed nexus 5 i'd guess.

~Cheers

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I'd get a 5s if you can at the very least due to the A7 processor or preferably the 6SE.

Samantha124

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2015
I activated my daughters 5c while Im waiting on the 7. I sold mine. Anyway, maybe it's because I'm used to a better phone, but I don't like it at all. It's just a really cheap iPhone in my opinion. What about a SE?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
5c is slow and can barely run iOS 10 at all. At the very least get a 5s. If you're trying to go two year with it though I'd look into the 5se.

melias24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I activated my daughters 5c while Im waiting on the 7. I sold mine. Anyway, maybe it's because I'm used to a better phone, but I don't like it at all. It's just a really cheap iPhone in my opinion. What about a SE?
Prices in Australia are pretty crap :// A lot of my friends use it and they seem to like it...I'm just wanting a cheap phone that works. My nexus was good until google updated it and turns out it was the last update, and it ruined my phone
[doublepost=1473564595][/doublepost]
5c is slow and can barely run iOS 10 at all. At the very least get a 5s. If you're trying to go two year with it though I'd look into the 5se.
Alright i guess i'll have to save my pennies.

Samantha124

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2015
Prices in Australia are pretty crap :// A lot of my friends use it and they seem to like it...I'm just wanting a cheap phone that works. My nexus was good until google updated it and turns out it was the last update, and it ruined my phone
[doublepost=1473564595][/doublepost]
Alright i guess i'll have to save my pennies.

How about buying maybe a 5s or 6 used? You may be able to find a pretty good deal on a used one since the new iPhone is being released soon.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

It isn't a 6SE.

It isn't a 5SE.

It's an SE. Of all people anywhere on the planet, the people in this forum should know this. And no, it isn't "less confusing" to call it by an incorrect name, as some people claim for some bizarre reason, usually "because it looks the same as the 5S." Well then by all means, we can all start calling the 7 the 6SS since "it looks the same as the 6".

It has a name, use it.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I'm currently using an iPhone 5C 8GB :( as an backup until I get my iPhone 7. Imo, I don't like it, but it works and I can talk and text without any issues. Battery life is ok, won't last a day. iOS 9.3.5 runs without any lagging. It's not great but still a solid iOS experience.

Reactions: andreyush

melias24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I'm currently using an iPhone 5C 8GB :( as an backup until I get my iPhone 7. Imo, I don't like it, but it works and I can talk and text without any issues. Battery life is ok, won't last a day. iOS 9.3.5 runs without any lagging. It's not great but still a solid iOS experience.
Ah ok, sounds alright then i guess, my nexus freezes from time to time just playing candy crush... I just want a smooth phone without exceeding $300 that's all, and android is nice but i just loved my ipod 5, and would love to have an apple phone again without breaking the bank.
[doublepost=1473566720][/doublepost]
How about buying maybe a 5s or 6 used? You may be able to find a pretty good deal on a used one since the new iPhone is being released soon.
Yeah i've been considering that. I've seen some cheap refurbed 5s' and 6's.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
It isn't a 6SE.

It isn't a 5SE.

It's an SE. Of all people anywhere on the planet, the people in this forum should know this. And no, it isn't "less confusing" to call it by an incorrect name, as some people claim for some bizarre reason, usually "because it looks the same as the 5S." Well then by all means, we can all start calling the 7 the 6SS since "it looks the same as the 6".

It has a name, use it.
I swear when that thing launched it was called 5SE

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
You could wipe the phone and reinstall the previous OS version if you really wanted to. Although if you're looking to get back into iOS for under $300 the 5s or a used SE is your best bet for longevity at a good price. Although I'm not very familiar with Australian prices for those phones, so I could be way off.

DarthBradicus

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Of all the iPhones still supported by iOS 10, the 5c (like the 5) is at the bottom of the list. There's a very real chance it will not get iOS 11, and even if it does, it may not run it very well. Like the others, I'd recommend trying to find a reasonably priced 5s or SE. The SE in particular should last for years since it's a current model.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
The SE in particular should last for years since it's a current model.

^this
If you can grab a SE, do it. It's 6S tech and probably will be fine for years to come.

I use a 5 as my backup phone (which is the same specs as the 5C) and it runs iOS 10 okay. It's quite slow and not really pleasant, but it gets the job done. It's not really future-proof anymore, though.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Just bought my daughter a 5c als her first iPhone. I am impressed how fluid and responsive it works on 9.3.5. it should be fine for the next 2 or 3 years even if I do not upgrade the OS further.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I swear when that thing launched it was called 5SE
There were all sorts of rumors of what it would be called.

There were also rumors that the 7 would be the 6SE.
[doublepost=1473613427][/doublepost]For a basic IOS smartphone, if the screen size is acceptable the 5C should be fine. My sister is still using the 32GB model she got 3 years ago.

10 might be the last upgrade it gets, since the 5 and 5C are the only 32 bit phone chips Apple is still supporting.

mguzzi

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Columbia SC
5C runs on a 32bit processor and 5S and above are 64bit. Apple is getting ready to phase out support for all 32bit iOS devices definitely go with a 5s or newer.

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I would wait some time to get a used phone. the market is about to be flooded with used phones. you might be able to find a 6 for a decent price

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Ok thanks. So would you say give the 5c a miss all together?...

The 5c doesn't have a 64 bit processor in it and 'I' think Apple will cut off any devices for iOS 11 that aren't 64bit next year. You'll be happier in the long run with a iPhone SE, iPhone 6 or at the very least a iPhone 5s.

Reactions: Freakonomics101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.