Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the new Focus feature worth it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
For me, this feature was a godsend. When I’m on call I couldn’t use iOS’ traditional Sleep and Do Not Disturb mode because they would block all SMS and there was no way to override that. Moreover, with Focus settings, I can allow through the notifications for HomeKit and my security cameras while blocking other notifications.

Being able to set up separate Sleep and On-Call Focus modes that allow me to selectively allow calls and SMS through from random numbers (our on-call calls and messages can come from any number) only when I’m on call has completely changed and greatly improved my experience with iPhone at night.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It’s not for everybody.
Depending on you job, different places you go to, notifications that you have on etc that will determine if you need it
Bottom Line: it’s there for those that have a use for it

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I don't use social media. So I can't get distracted by it. I only visit about 3 websites regularly and I'm old enough to be able to do what I'm supposed to do when I'm supposed to do it. But if it helps people, then it's all good.

The reason I used Do Not Disturb is if a mate is drunk late night and engaging in a bit of texting logorrhoea, so I turn on DND for him until the morning.
It's not so much being able to not get distracted as much as putting all the work apps on the home page when at work and none of them when not.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
It is a bit confusing to set up, but mine is configured so there's a whole page of apps I use only at work that only appears when I'm at work. Keeps my home screen clean most of the time and gives me quick access to those apps when needed.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I don't think it's unnecessary, I think it's just really implemented and needs a serious amount of work to make it more user-friendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.