Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toms995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Hey there!

I am looking to replace my very old Macbook Pro (late 2011, 13 inch) with a 2016 Macbook pro 15 inch. Now, since my budget is limited I was wondering whether the default configuration is enough in order to have a decent workflow editing 4K footage. Obviously, not a 4K feature, but let's say about 10-15 min shorts with multi-cams, nothing too fancy. (Using mainly Final Cut Pro X, and occasionally After Effects)

These are the specs of the base model:
2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
16GB 2133MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based SSD1
Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB memory (is this good enough??)

**I think I am going to upgrade the SSD to 512GB**

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Should be enough. Unless you really need the extra storage, though, you'd do better getting the 460 (about 25% faster) or at least 455 (about 15% faster) as far as your editing goes. You'll need external storage anyway.

There's also this to consider. If you plan on using h.265 compression, which isn't much in use yet but seems to be the next standard, that will be better implemented in Kaby Lake.

toms995

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Should be enough. Unless you really need the extra storage, though, you'd do better getting the 460 (about 25% faster) or at least 455 (about 15% faster) as far as your editing goes. You'll need external storage anyway.

There's also this to consider. If you plan on using h.265 compression, which isn't much in use yet but seems to be the next standard, that will be better implemented in Kaby Lake.

Thanks! Basically, if you were me, and you had to choose one upgrade: would you get the 460? Or 512GB (I agree with you that I'll be using external storage)? Obviously it's ideal to get both of the upgrades, but when you are on a student's budget... (-:

As far as I know, Kaby Lake is rumored to arrive later this year with the new MacBook pro, right? I think I won't be able to wait, since my current Mac is dying - fast!

Thanks again!

Tom.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
Hey there!

I am looking to replace my very old Macbook Pro (late 2011, 13 inch) with a 2016 Macbook pro 15 inch. Now, since my budget is limited I was wondering whether the default configuration is enough in order to have a decent workflow editing 4K footage. Obviously, not a 4K feature, but let's say about 10-15 min shorts with multi-cams, nothing too fancy. (Using mainly Final Cut Pro X, and occasionally After Effects)

Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
16GB 2133MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based SSD1

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

The Macbook Pro 13 inch not a chance. The Macbook pro 15 may but will not be fast.

The Macbook pro is not design for 4K video editing, 4K gaming or 4K VR. And so any thing like that will be painfully slow.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
MBP will run 4K and HD jobs like a champ on an external monitor.

On the laptop's screen graphics acceleration is slower because the GPU has to render a much high pixel density.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The Macbook Pro 13 inch not a chance. The Macbook pro 15 may but will not be fast.

The Macbook pro is not design for 4K video editing, 4K gaming or 4K VR. And so any thing like that will be painfully slow.

It is pretty much only designed for 4K video editing in FCPX.... nothing mobile is designed for 4K gaming or VR but a few of the huge monstrosities out there with dual graphics cards will run them ok.

As to driving a 4K screen all the current mbps can drive at least 2 4k screens. The 15 inch can drive up to 4 4k screens.

from apple tech specs
13 inch

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colours and:
  • One display with 5120x2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colours
  • Up to two displays with 4096x2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colours
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
  • Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)
15 inch

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colours and:
  • Up to two displays with 5120x2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colours
  • Up to four displays with 4096x2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colours
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
  • Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
The Macbook pro is not design for 4K video editing ... And so any thing like that will be painfully slow.

This is complete baloney. This person definitely does not know anything about 4k, and has never done 4k editing on this machine. The 15" MBP is an absolute monster for 4k video editing, and easily the best option on the market for 4k editing in laptop form factor.

It's blazing fast.

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
This is complete baloney. This person definitely does not know anything about 4k, and has never done 4k editing on this machine. The 15" MBP is an absolute monster for 4k video editing, and easily the best option on the market for 4k editing in laptop form factor.

It's blazing fast.
Well you're not right. And please don't insult others.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Well you're not right. And please don't insult others.

I'm exactly, specifically right. And I did not insult anyone. I stated a fact – this person plainly has no idea what they're talking about. I'm sure they're a great person deep down inside. But they're spouting nonsense and I'm pointing that out so someone doesn't make a poor purchasing decision.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015

It's blazing fast.

So you can do 10 minute clip of 4K video on 13'' Macbook pro in 20 or 30 minutes? The fan will not speed up and the computer will not get hot?

The performance will just be like watching HD video on youtube.

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
I'm exactly, specifically right. And I did not insult anyone. I stated a fact – this person plainly has no idea what they're talking about. I'm sure they're a great person deep down inside. But they're spouting nonsense and I'm pointing that out so someone doesn't make a poor purchasing decision.
No, you're not. And you did insult another person which is against forum rules.

And burden of proof lies on you. Please provide proof that
The 15" MBP is ... the best option on the market for 4k editing in laptop form factor.
for starters. After that I or others will explain to you why you're wrong.

Please stop saying anyone spouts nonsense when you clearly does not provide any more proof than he does. This is second insult. Your pointing out WILL lead to a poor purchasing decision because your pointing out is wrong. Provide proofs and I will provide mine. In this order, not vice versa.
[doublepost=1492720509][/doublepost]
The MBP is pretty fast using FCPX.
Now THAT phrase is technically correct.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015

I should also note what being fast is all relative to person using the computer. What fast to you may be slow to me.

You and others here said the Macbook pro 13'' inch can do 4K video editing!! Okay!! But that define fast and performance.

I would not be dong 4K video editing on Macbook pro 13'' inch if the fans really speed up, get really hot ( probably burn your skin) and take over hour just doing 20 minute 4K clip.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
You and others here said the Macbook pro 13'' inch can do 4K video editing!!

What are you talking about? No I didn't. The 13" doesn't even have a GPU in it. Duh!

Anyways, the point is, for the record, to anyone looking to buy, the MBP 15" is astonishingly fast, cool and quiet for 4k video editing. There's certainly nothing else on the market that performs as well in a laptop form factor.

Last edited by a moderator:

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
What are you talking about? No I didn't. The 13" doesn't even have a GPU in it. Duh!
AHAHAHAHAHA. It does. RTFM. It does not have dGPU but has GPU in it. Duh!
[doublepost=1492723592][/doublepost]
There's certainly nothing else on the market that performs as well in a laptop form factor.
This is a lie. Please provide proof. Burden of proof lies on you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
So you can do 10 minute clip of 4K video on 13'' Macbook pro in 20 or 30 minutes? The fan will not speed up and the computer will not get hot?

The performance will just be like watching HD video on youtube.
If you don't know, why did you claim what you did, which wan't only about the 13"? Do you use FCPX? And no matter what the machine is working on, it won't burn your skin!

Provide proofs and I will provide mine.
Sure you will. All you need to do to show he's wrong is point out a comparison that shows some other laptop is better for 4K editing, using FCPX. I won't wait for that.

Accusing people of lying is breaking the rule so dear to you, by the way.

tryrtryrtryrt

Suspended
Sep 10, 2016
Sure you will. All you need to do to show he's wrong is point out a comparison that shows some other laptop is better for 4K editing, using FCPX. I won't wait for that.
Of course you won't wait for that because he will likely not provide proofs and since burden of proof lies on him - you will have to wait looong. :)

BTW, no, after (if) he provides his proof, I will have to provide a little different proof than the one you said. Please read the thread to understand why.
[doublepost=1492764503][/doublepost]
Accusing people of lying is breaking the rule so dear to you, by the way.
You see, I haven't accused him of lying. I've said the words are a lie. :p This is one of the reasons I've asked for the proof - to understand whether some reviewer pollutes minds of people will lies or if it's the person's own thoughts.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Of course you won't wait for that because he will likely not provide proofs and since burden of proof lies on him - you will have to wait looong. :)

BTW, no, after (if) he provides his proof, I will have to provide a little different proof than the one you said. Please read the thread to understand why.
More completely empty hand waving. People who use both have found that FCPX runs faster on a Mac than Premiere Pro does on a Windows machine, so it's understandable that you have nothing to show otherwise. If you want to learn something:

https://theunlockr.com/2017/03/13/adobe-premiere-vs-final-cut-pro-x/

Reactions: HenryDJP

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
The 15" touchbar MBPs are certainly powerful enough for 4K editing. I can't speak for the 13" models, but you're good to go with the 15". I recommend getting the 455 or 460. You will obviously have better performance using FCPX than with Premiere but it's more than capable either way.
[doublepost=1494015694][/doublepost]

What Mac has ever been designed for gaming? The OP is talking about work not play. 4K gaming and 4K VR are things that teenagers are concerned about. The new 15" macs handle 4K video with ease. Kaby Lake mobile isn't a big performance boost over Skylake. It does offer support for 4K streaming and some slight changes but that's about it. It's not a new architecture or process, just the 1st optimization of Skylake.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Actually, it is explicitly designed for 4K video editing. Thats why it has the best 4K monitor support in the industry. besides, 4K video editing is very different than 4K 3D rendering doing VR (which has very different performance requirements).

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Hey there!

Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
16GB 2133MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based SSD1

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

Yes it is, but I would upgrade to the 460. Final Cut Pro runs amazing on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.