Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Whatever you do, I recommend just picking up the body and getting your own lens for it (or lenses). Save yourself some money and get some nice glass in the process.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
With those prices, how much of a loss should I expect as the new models come out?

That would stink if I was to plop down a nice chunk of change only to see it depreciate so quickly.

I would expect the used price of the D80 body from a local store with 1 month warranty to go down to $500 soon when the upgraders dump them, and then to stay at about that price for at least a year, then go down to $450, finally reaching around $400 when the next camera in the category comes out (in about two years). Further, I couldn't tell.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Even though I would love to get a d80 right now, I still envision having to spend around $700 now. I'm not sure if I should be spending that much for my first dslr.

Would this be a decent solution for now?

d60 with 18-55 lens, and 55-200 Nikon lenses for $480. The seller says it is used but in excellent condition.

What do you think?

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Hi,

Even though I would love to get a d80 right now, I still envision having to spend around $700 now. I'm not sure if I should be spending that much for my first dslr.

Would this be a decent solution for now?

d60 with 18-55 lens, and 55-200 Nikon lenses for $480. The seller says it is used but in excellent condition.

What do you think?

That's a good price. Almost TOO good. Are you buying from a private party or a store?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
For less than $300, you could get a second-hand D50 BODY and use it with the lens you already have until you find out if you're really interested and what kind of lens you need.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
For less than $300, you could get a second-hand D50 BODY and use it with the lens you already have until you find out if you're really interested and what kind of lens you need.

I must have missed were the OP has a lens already. I was under the impression he needed to buy one. I think you are the only person in this thread "rooting" for the D50. most everyone else agrees the D40 is a better buy unless you have a stash of non-AF-S lenses or need to use a particular lens not available in AF-S.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Thanks for all your help!

It looks like I will go ahead with the d60 deal for $480. I am buying it from a private party and not a store, so hopefully this will work out. If this is indeed a good deal, I'll be ecstatic.

The only lens that I have is the 28-80 from my 35mm n65. I definitely was looking into the d50, but for a newbie like myself and as someone who just doesn't want to spend too much if I don't have to, I'm hoping to get a good deal that can last me a while. Hopefully, the d60 with the 2 lenses will be just that.

I hope to follow up with some good news!

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I finally received the d60! It came with a few extras so I'm pretty happy. For now, it is definitely much more advanced than the simple point and shoot that I have.

What should I be looking for in terms of checking it out?

I was actually thinking during the past couple of days, to sell the d60 and pick up a d40. I could probably make a little money back that way. What do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC05106.JPG
    DSC05106.JPG
    558.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05108.JPG
    DSC05108.JPG
    612.3 KB · Views: 62

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Hi,

I was actually thinking during the past couple of days, to sell the d60 and pick up a d40. I could probably make a little money back that way. What do you think?

Thanks!

As someone who has often used this rationale to spend a lot of time buying and selling equipment of different sorts, let me be the first to tell you NOT to do this. You won't make that much money, and certainly not enough to buy an extra lens or something that might actually advance your photography, but you will eat up time that you could be having fun and taking pictures instead. You've got a great camera, you got a great deal, and let that be the end of the 'research and buying phase'. Now move on to the 'making art' and 'having fun' stage, without a second thought.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Thank you for your reassurance! I'm always looking for the best value for the buck, but I definitely see your point about time. Great advice!

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.