Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2022
Basically the question.

I want to purchase jaws on the iTunes Store. But for some reason the purchase isn’t loading on my Apple TV newest version but it does on my iPhone so am considering air playing it. And it does it flawlessly but am wondering which is the best quality.

Or if the quality lessens when I’m streaming it from my iPhone but air playing it to my tv.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Basically the question.

I want to purchase jaws on the iTunes Store. But for some reason the purchase isn’t loading on my Apple TV newest version but it does on my iPhone so am considering air playing it. And it does it flawlessly but am wondering which is the best quality.

Or if the quality lessens when I’m streaming it from my iPhone but air playing it to my tv.
AirPlay itself is limited to 1080p, however AirPlay can also be used to tell the receiving device to fetch the content directly from the source at its intended resolution. So AirPlaying Jaws from iTunes to an Apple TV might cause the Apple TV to fetch it from iTunes directly at native 4K, or it might stream from your phone at 1080p if it can't find the content.

Reactions: DigitalAR

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
AirPlay itself is limited to 1080p ..:
Is that a fact?
I keep asking myself, how much are the underpinnings of AirPlay and Home Sharing different?
Because in Home Sharing I can easily stream 4K HDR10 movie with Atmos audio (must be of the streaming variety!) from my macOS server, using built-in media sharing, to my appleTV 4K. No technical limitation to 1080p whatsoever.
I tend to think that AirPlay and Home Sharing use the same streaming platform under the skin.
But I am not 100% sure, hence my question.

Reactions: DigitalAR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.