Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DC41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
Short Version:
After trying out all of the major browsers available for macOS, I settled on Microsoft Edge. Generally speaking, I've been satisfied with it, but I've run into a user scenario for which Edge does not have an answer... I'm not sure any browser does. Hense this question. My workflow involves having 5 named windows containing tab/groups. Edge is set to reopen everything at restart. Is there a browser or extension that would automatically save each window with its current tabs/groups when I close it, so Edge doesn't have to have all five windows open when I need to work in just one?

Longer Version:
My work flow demands I generally operate with 5 named windows open. In my Microsoft Edge each window has 3-7 tab groups with a total of about 70-100 tabs open across the 5 windows at any given time. I'm constantly updating the sites in these groups/tabs, and I need to be able to pick up where I left off when relaunch Edge. It is set to do this, so each time I open Edge it opens with 5 windows and cir. 100 tabs. But at times I only need to work in one window, but in order to keep it and the other four current, I have to keep all 5 windows and all 100 tabs open. I find this an obnoxious waste of resources.

I would like to be able to open the one window in which I need to work, have all my groups/tabs restored from the last session, and pick up where I left off. If I need to open a second, third, etc. window, I want it to load all the groups/tabs it had open the last time it was used. Currently I must have all 5 windows and all 100 tabs open all the time, because there is no way to "save" a window.

Paranoid that I might accidentally close a window and lose all of its groups and tabs, I regularly save each tab as a collection, but this does not preserve the window setup or the current updated state of each tab. So, the million-dollar question, is there a macOS compatible browser or extension that supports tabs groups and will save a window with all of its groups and tabs in their current state... either automatically or manually?

Thanks!

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Firefox and Brave can open entire folders of bookmarks. I'd probably just bookmark all of those tabs and organize them into folders, and just open the folders in separate windows like that.

Reactions: DC41

DC41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
Firefox and Brave can open entire folders of bookmarks. I'd probably just bookmark all of those tabs and organize them into folders, and just open the folders in separate windows like that.
That is an approach I've tried. My problem is the tabs' contents change during while working. I would like to be able to save the groups/tabs for a window with any changes that have taken place during that session. I would like to open one window if that's all that's needed to save on resources but have the other ready to go if necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.