Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
FaceID with mask and/or sunglasses has been implemented on iOS since about say 2.5 years ago or so. Is there a reason why this feature has not or will not be implemented on iPadOS?

My assumption is that the FaceID camera on iPad Pro is either on par or better than an iPhone because on the iPad Pro, you can at least have FaceID work in landscape or portrait mode whereas on the iPhone it is still (at least on the iPhone 12 Pro) in portrait mode only.

Having FaceID work with masks/sunglasses on the iPad is still useful for those who are still wearing a mask in public places (e.g., public library).

Reactions: boston04and07

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Not all sunglasses work with FaceID but I just put on a pair and was able to unlock my iPad Pro with FaceID.

I didn't even realize they hadn't added the mask feature. We can add it to the list of features that iPadOS has to wait for or won't get at all. It's so frustrating being an iPad fan sometimes.

Reactions: boston04and07

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Not all sunglasses work with FaceID but I just put on a pair and was able to unlock my iPad Pro with FaceID.

I didn't even realize they hadn't added the mask feature. We can add it to the list of features that iPadOS has to wait for or won't get at all. It's so frustrating being an iPad fan sometimes.
I just assumed sunglasses didn't work on FaceID on iPadOS because there isn't a specific setting to add sunglasses which is unlike what shows up for iOS where sunglasses and/or mask shows up as a setting.

I did just submit product feedback to Apple about this lack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.