Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have multiple users on my mac mini. Time Machine does an all machine backup or none. I'm wondering if there's a way just to back up one of the users? The idea is to easily restore that one user on a different mac when needed. Can this be done via iCloud or manually?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't know of a way to have TM only backup one user. But you could just ket it backup everything, then when you go to restore with Migration Assistant there is an option to only select specific users for the import. That would accomplish what you are after.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don't know of a way to have TM only backup one user. But you could just ket it backup everything, then when you go to restore with Migration Assistant there is an option to only select specific users for the import. That would accomplish what you are after.
Ah I see. I kinda want to avoid that since it will require large external drive/take time to do the first backup. Kinda wish for Apple to develop a mac backup system through iCloud.

Thanks though. :)

lasagna

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
What’s really annoying is that way back in the day when iCloud was called MobileMe iDisk you could backup your user preferences to the cloud and restore on another Mac. Like your dock and all other preferences. Why can’t we just do that now? 😡

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.