Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I don't know how to disable the power on, but for cleaning, I use compressed air, then open TextEdit, new document, and just wipe down the keys with a wrung-out disinfecting wipe. Any key presses just show up on screen and don't generate errors. Then just close the text without saving. Works for me.

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
I've looked for a way to do this on an M1 Air and couldn't find a way.

I just turn down the volume and clean the keys...I can hear the beeps in my head whenever I do this.

WilburMercer

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
This is an incredibly annoying "feature".

My daughter just spilt some water on my keyword, and I want to keep the laptop switched off with the lid open to give it the best chance to dry. I'm discovering opening the lid turns on the laptop, pressing any key turns on the laptop. FFS I want the laptop OFF so I can minimise damage while it dries.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
This is an incredibly annoying "feature".

My daughter just spilt some water on my keyword, and I want to keep the laptop switched off with the lid open to give it the best chance to dry. I'm discovering opening the lid turns on the laptop, pressing any key turns on the laptop. FFS I want the laptop OFF so I can minimise damage while it dries.
I think you're serious, so I'm going to give a serious reply. Just leave it to dry with the lid open and don't press any keys.

Reactions: alee

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
Did Apple close their eyes and pull this “feature” out of a grab bag of ideas, contributed by a focus group of bored employees trying to justify their positions?

Where was the critical oversight and user test feedback loop?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I wrote a thread about this under Apple silicon. Happened on my M1 MBP and so many people on this forum said Apple's infinite wisdom was better than mine. I don't even understand why there is a power button when any key will turn the device on and just opening the lid will as well.

I could live with it a lot easier if it was just opening the lid but any key will turn on all M series macs. There is NO way to change this behavior. It is one of the stupidest design decisions I have ever seen. A toggle in the settings is all that Apple needs to do.

Oh Well.

hammerhead13

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2022
I just got a MB Air M2 and this is the first issue I had. It is a total BS Feature. Terminal CMDs don’t work. Apple chat support gave me one to use and my Mac wouldn’t even Boot up. Had to do a recovery. I called Apple Support and he said it was a “Feature” Apple Users wanted. I call BS. He said it could not be turned off. Maybe with enough complaints we can get it to be only a option. This is my 1st new Mac since my old 2006 MBP 17”. What is the point of having a Power Button if Opening the Lid or Pressing ANY key turns it on?

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I just got a MB Air M2 and this is the first issue I had. It is a total BS Feature. Terminal CMDs don’t work. Apple chat support gave me one to use and my Mac wouldn’t even Boot up. Had to do a recovery. I called Apple Support and he said it was a “Feature” Apple Users wanted. I call BS. He said it could not be turned off. Maybe with enough complaints we can get it to be only a option. This is my 1st new Mac since my old 2006 MBP 17”. What is the point of having a Power Button if Opening the Lid or Pressing ANY key turns it on?
I have been asking this question since my first M1 Mac. I guess Apple thinks we don't know how to use a power button?

You would be surprised at some people defending Apple on here.

Reactions: AeroSatan

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Meh, for me I dont see an issue myself, I mean, if im opening it up, its to use it lol. But it seems like a simple enough thing for them to just add the option to allow people to disable it as well.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I have been asking this question since my first M1 Mac. I guess Apple thinks we don't know how to use a power button?

You would be surprised at some people defending Apple on here.
Given the lack of power buttons on some newer Apple products, I would not be suprised to see its removal.

Having recently upgraded from a older MBP running High Sierra myself, I find a lot of Apple's decisions on the Mac the last 10+ years bizarre and anti-power user, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.