Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttinc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
I have a 2007 black macbook and I regret having installed Lion on it -- it ran SO MUCH better when it had SL installed.

Is there any possible way to revert back to it and save my system configurations?

Note: I've never used time machine before...just have an SSD in it since my original hard drive went kaput.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Not automatically. You will need to export all your data then wipe the disk and reinstall SL... then manually reinstall all your apps and settings, then manually copy all your documents and data back in.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
SL runs much faster than Lion IMO. If I could go to SL on my new MBP I would. If you're going to use one of the Lions, use Mountain Lion.

You'll need an install disk for Snow Leopard. Like the person above, back up your files and reinstall. Keep in mind Time Machine may not work restoring to an older operating system so best to do it manually.

This is what I would do, but there are certainly other ways to go about this:

First, copy all of your data to a safe place, maybe an external drive.

Second, clone your current drive in case you accidentally mess something up, then you have the ability to easily move back.

Third, install SL to the main drive and manually install apps, etc. Then move over the data.

This is what I had to do when I moved my 2009 Mac Mini from 10.6 to 10.9 and then disliked 10.9 enough to move to an iMac that I refurbished and installed 10.6 on. The only difference is that I did not bother cloning the Mini drive as I still physically had the machine.

ttinc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
This is what I would do, but there are certainly other ways to go about this:

First, copy all of your data to a safe place, maybe an external drive.

Second, clone your current drive in case you accidentally mess something up, then you have the ability to easily move back.

Third, install SL to the main drive and manually install apps, etc. Then move over the data.

This is what I had to do when I moved my 2009 Mac Mini from 10.6 to 10.9 and then disliked 10.9 enough to move to an iMac that I refurbished and installed 10.6 on. The only difference is that I did not bother cloning the Mini drive as I still physically had the machine.

If I back up the hard drive, will it save any system preferences or do I have to set everything all over again as well? For example: I have a lot of my own icons I made and applied with candybar...I'm wondering if those will be there (as options in candybar) when I restore it.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
So, basically copy the hard drive icon from finder?

Uhh… depends on your set up. You're probably better off copying your home folder (or just documents and movies and music and pictures) and then reinstalling all apps manually.

ttinc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Uhh… depends on your set up. You're probably better off copying your home folder (or just documents and movies and music and pictures) and then reinstalling all apps manually.

Cool, thanks. I found that I could save my candybar stuff by exporting them as icontainers.

Last edited:

cammyg123

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
United States
So, basically copy the hard drive icon from finder?

Sorry, that came off a bit wrong lol :p. Copy all the files you'd want to be on Snow Leopard with you, so you're not missing anything important. Good luck with the downgrade :).

P.s. I love Snow Leopard but am using Mavericks just because haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.