Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it shouldn't take forever; do you have apps set to reopen when you restart? and how often do you restart? sleeping your mac is perfectly fine (i reboot occasionally... just to clear ram, and get a clean start).

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Two steps that I take, which can sometimes help.
Reset NVRAM. (Restart, holding Option-Command-P-R. If you have a Mac with a boot chime, hold the 4 keys until you hear the boot chime twice, then release the keys to let it start up normally. If your Mac does not have a boot chime, hold the keys on boot for 30 seconds, that should be long enough.
The NVRAM reset will clear certain hardware setting, so after a reset, open System Preferences/Startup Disk, and make sure that your boot drive is selected in that pane.
Then, shut down, so your Mac goes off completely. Finally, start up one more time.

I seldom restart my Mac, unless there is a reinstall, or security updates, or other need to restart. It will sometimes be up for a month or so.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
What kind of machine? What kind of StartUp drive? RAM? Need more info. Personally, I turn off my Mac every night and StartUp in the morning. Certainly doesn't take forever to start.

Lou

Reactions: h9826790

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
do you have apps set to reopen when you restart?

After cleaning everything from there, if still slow try reseting the NVRAM. If still slow try booting into Safe Mode (hold down the shift key when you boot until you see the boot progress indicator). Then reboot. This cleans the caches. If still slow check:

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
~/Library/LaunchAgents

When my system gets unbearably slow on reboot I move everything from these directories to folders on my desktop and reboot. If the reboot is "normal" I then add them back (usually by reinstalling the program which installed them) one by one until I can isolate the one which is causing the slowness.

My guess is, but can't confirm, that boot Agents/Daemons that go out to the internet cause the delays.

But be very careful, as you can screw up your system if you don't know what you are doing. Virus and network protection launchagents and daemons perform important functions.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It should. I haven't touched it ever.

right, but did you check? and what sort of HD? default apple SSD? self-installed one? people are offering you help, you need to give us more info (what mac, processor, how old, etc). and have you tried any or all recommendations?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
and have you tried the suggestions in this thread? also, is everything else essentially ok? you shouldn't need to restart often (i do occasionally just to 'flush' the ram). just saying, if performance is good, it's a small thing to live with (IF none of the above suggestions help)...

JaySCT

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
I just checked and my SSD doesn't support TRIM.

Go to System Report/Information -> Hardware -> SATA Look for a TRIM statement and see if it says NO. So you're not running some 3rd party TRIM package like Disk Sensei? The reason I ask is that it has been one of the most common causes of the slower boot. Disk Sensei's author is in discussion with Apple. Checked the Crucial site and it isn't a matter of not supporting TRIM. They do Garbage Collection (most do) when system is idle, but you can still run TRIM as well (usually and recommended).

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Yep. I tried everything. Thanks for the suggestions!
You set the drive as the startup disk already? You didn't specifically mention that.

And Crucial SSDs do support TRIM, including on Macs. Which model? How full is it?

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
What SSD would that be?

Lou

Crucial SSD. I bought it right before TRIM support was added.
[doublepost=1515006816][/doublepost]
You set the drive as the startup disk already? You didn't specifically mention that.

And Crucial SSDs do support TRIM, including on Macs. Which model? How full is it?

The one I bought back in 2012 doesn't have TRIM support. It's 500 GB with 275.96 GB free.
[doublepost=1515006923][/doublepost]
Go to System Report/Information -> Hardware -> SATA Look for a TRIM statement and see if it says NO. So you're not running some 3rd party TRIM package like Disk Sensei? The reason I ask is that it has been one of the most common causes of the slower boot. Disk Sensei's author is in discussion with Apple. Checked the Crucial site and it isn't a matter of not supporting TRIM. They do Garbage Collection (most do) when system is idle, but you can still run TRIM as well (usually and recommended).

Not using a 3rd party Trim Package. I didn't even know it was a thing. So how do I enable it?

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^AFAIK, Crucial SSDs do support TRIM using either the Trimforce command in Terminal or by using Trim Enabler or Disc Sensei.

Lou

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The one I bought back in 2012 doesn't have TRIM support. It's 500 GB with 275.96 GB free.
Again, which model? Cuz TRIM supported Crucial SSDs even in 2012. Not all OSes did though. Specifically, OS X didn't add it until 10.10 in 2015.

Given that it's half empty, that's good. Drives will slow down dramatically when near full, esp. without TRIM.

And did you actually check the Startup Disk setting? You haven't specifically confirmed that yet.

Last edited:

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
Again, which model? Cuz TRIM supported Crucial SSDs even in 2012. Not all OSes did though. Specifically, OS X didn't add it until 10.10 in 2015.

Given that it's half empty, that's good. Drives will slow down dramatically when near full, esp. without TRIM.

And did you actually check the Startup Disk setting? You haven't specifically confirmed that yet.

Looks like I have a Crucial M4 SSD drive. The Startup disk says no TRIM enabled.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Looks like I have a Crucial M4 SSD drive. The Startup disk says no TRIM enabled.
1. TRIM is supported with Crucial M4, but you have to enable it manually (like you need to do with any non-Apple SSD).

2. The question we were asking about the Startup Disk is whether or not your Crucial drive has been selected as you default Startup Disk. If it has not, it will still boot off it of course, but your Mac will also spend extra time looking for other startup disks, thus slowing down the restart.

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
1. TRIM is supported with Crucial M4, but you have to enable it manually (like you need to do with any non-Apple SSD).

2. The question we were asking about the Startup Disk is whether or not your Crucial drive has been selected as you default Startup Disk. If it has not, it will still boot off it of course, but your Mac will also spend extra time looking for other startup disks, thus slowing down the restart.

Thanks! I figured it out. I was able to enable TRIM with the trimforce command. Enabling TRIM seems have made reboots super quick. Booting up is not as quick as my Macbook Pro though. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.