Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomPurcell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
I know it’s probably been asked before but I’m just trying to assess if my IPad Pro 3rd gen screen would be considered within tolerance for an uneven backlight.

I can’t tell if it’s a problem or whether my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

It’s difficult to assess over a photo but any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 5B91DB98-309A-47A9-8501-E82C29C7315C.jpeg
    5B91DB98-309A-47A9-8501-E82C29C7315C.jpeg
    695.9 KB · Views: 2,884
Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I know it’s probably been asked before but I’m just trying to assess if my IPad Pro 3rd gen screen would be considered within tolerance for an uneven backlight.

I can’t tell if it’s a problem or whether my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

It’s difficult to assess over a photo but any input would be appreciated.
That’s kind of hard to tell...

TomPurcell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
I only thought there was a potential issue because when scrolling text on white/light backgrounds it looks like there are very very faint shadows (or could be something to do with the refresh rate).

The corners appear to be slightly darker than the centre of the screen but I’ve looked around and this appears to be fairly common. I dunno.

Reactions: Fenhalls

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I have the same on my iPad Air 3. In fact pretty much all of them have it. It’s the limitations of LCD I’m afraid.

Reactions: justinf77

holgolas

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
Same here... Makes me nervous as well. Only when scrolling - my air 2 is better with less Dirty screen effect

Last edited:

TomPurcell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Maybe I’m more picky because of the price.

By the sounds of it, it is fairly common so I’ll just live with it. If I didn’t use it as an e-reader I’d probably not have noticed it.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
It does look uneven to me. The bottom of your picture looks gray and the middle much brighter.

TomPurcell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Updated photo. How does it look?

Attachments

• 65C5FC61-A70B-46AD-9E38-5770C21028A5.jpeg
    65C5FC61-A70B-46AD-9E38-5770C21028A5.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 678

holgolas

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
If i Look at Mine with 100 % brightness, i can Not See anything. A Camera sees more. Will try a pic tomorrow.

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
I’ve owned many iPads. No iPad has a perfect white-sheet-of-paper backlight — none of them. The first-gen iPad Pro 12.9 inch had a HORRIBLE backlight. I went through several until I settled on one that was not as bad as the rest. The one I finally settled on had a more even backlight than the rest, but has a few weird warm streaks in the center of the display. Fast forward to 2018 when the third-gen iPad was released. This new 12.9 screen is way better than any of the first-gen units that I owned. It’s not perfectly paper-white, but a very good screen.

Reactions: Superrenz

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
If i Look at Mine with 100 % brightness, i can Not See anything. A Camera sees more. Will try a pic tomorrow.

Yes but, taking a photo has certain filters. And those filters are blocking light in certain areas of the screen. And in turn makes it look worse than it actually is sometimes. There’s a article bout this someone posted. trying to demonstrate grayscale is tough with a camera.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
It’s just how displays are. Here’s mine.

Those look much better than the OP's because the iPad is a small white rectangle on a black background. The camera aims for an average grey so overexposes the white iPad wiping out the variations in brightness. To see subtle variations in brightness the the iPad needs to fill the image. But doing it this way exaggerates the unevenness, so really each user has to decide whether there is a problem in actual usage.

holgolas

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
Hi
Tested a Second one. The next one is from week 12 - the First one from week 4.
Both do have exactly the same darker corner (bottom left) and are very very slightly warmer on the left (Portrait Mode)
This is Quite unusual, as i thought they might be different.
The pads in the Shop Show the same.

Think this is normal and will Affect all units.
Will Keep the First one.

Will do a picture asap - think Mine do Look similar to the Picasso above.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Hi
Tested a Second one. The next one is from week 12 - the First one from week 4.
Both do have exactly the same darker corner (bottom left) and are very very slightly warmer on the left (Portrait Mode)
This is Quite unusual, as i thought they might be different.
The pads in the Shop Show the same.

Think this is normal and will Affect all units.
Will Keep the First one.

Will do a picture asap - think Mine do Look similar to the Picasso above.

Interesting observation, thanks for sharing!
Now, get that shift key fixed! ;)

TomPurcell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
So, took it into Apple and the guy there agreed that the left side appeared darker than the rest.

He questioned my case though and said that the magnets could have caused the issue.

The case was a £16 smart folio knockoff on Amazon. It has many good reviews.

This is the first I’ve had of magnets affecting the iPad, especially as the device is chock full of them.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
So, took it into Apple and the guy there agreed that the left side appeared darker than the rest.

He questioned my case though and said that the magnets could have caused the issue.

The case was a £16 smart folio knockoff on Amazon. It has many good reviews.

This is the first I’ve had of magnets affecting the iPad, especially as the device is chock full of them.
I’m using the same case. Did you see my screen?

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
See my post #16. Your screen may well be uniform but you couldn’t judge from those photos.

It doesn’t matter about the photos. My screen looks great in real life. I’ve owned 3 of these 11” iPads, played with a 4th one for a week “testing 4GB vs. 6GB RAM”, and handled numerous other ones too. I’ve had one that was slightly darker in the corners, and I’ve seen a few like that btw.

On my current model, the corners all look perfectly even on a white page.

I’m picky, small stuff bothers me, and I’ve had my current 1TB model going on nearly 2 months now. And I’ll keep it another 2 months from now.

I feel like I’ve got a good one.

No touch issues, no bends, no dark areas,

With all the issues that could be happening, I think I’m gonna sit tight with this one lol.
[doublepost=1555517288][/doublepost]
Updated photo. How does it look?

This looks much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.