Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
I am using an external USB audio interface (MOTU) with my Macbook M1 Pro.
The MOTU has two LINE IN jacks (called In 5 and In 6 in Audio Devices).
1713717733511.png

1713717608799.png

I am using an audio analyzer application called NAK T-100, which will only listen to In 1 and In 2 from the system.
I want the app NAK T-100 to receive input from the MOTU LINE IN 5 and 6 (system In 5 and In 6).
The MOTU does not have any routing software.

Is there a system setting in Sonoma or a routing software which will make this possible, i.e. take the signals arriving on MOTU LINE IN 5 and 6, and route them internally to system In 1 and 2?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
if a device is set up in audiomidi and is working, then that generally means its ins and outs should be available to all apps. i would guess that you just have to figure out how to select those inputs within the t-100 software

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I use Rogue Amoeba Loopback for jobs like this.
I believe there is a demo so you can check to make sure it does what you want.
Same goes for Rougue Amoeba Soundsource.
Soundsource is a kind of mac Coreaudio manager. I've used it for years, and I find it very solid and does everything I need to manage everything audio, in paralell with my Pro Tools Studio work. Rougue Amoeba is good value for money IMO.

I checked on the analyser app you mentioned, NAK t100, and point #10 in the bottom notes on the page seems to indicate that you need outside routing.

Reactions: IngoX

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
I checked on the analyser app you mentioned, NAK t100, and point #10 in the bottom notes on the page seems to indicate that you need outside routing.

Yes, outside of the NAK T-100 application. Not outside of the computer. Just making it clear for everyone.
Although the NAK T-100 app can select which audio device to use, the settings of that audio device have to be configured outside of this app by using system provided tools.

Loopback is 125 USD. A bit steep for this.
Soundsource is less money. Ii will check it out.
Has anyone experience with Blackhole for this task?

Last edited:

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
It could be done with Blackhole plus an additional piece of software like a DAW.

You would need the DAW to monitor the inputs 5-6 and pass the output to Blackhole, then set Blackhole as the input source in NAK

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
Thanks, @sahnert, is there no way Blackhole can monitor inputs 5-6 thus eliminating the need for a DAW?
Mind you, I have a DAW (Studio One), but the less apps the better.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
As far as I know the only interface for Blackhole is in the sound input/output settings of a given app. So you can set Blackhole to be the input in NAK, but then you would also need to tell your MOTU to send audio to Blackhole, and for this you would need another application that has its own Input/Output settings.

So MOTU -> DAW -> Blackhole -> NAK

I suppose if MacOS is hearing input 5/6 and sending it to the Main outputs you could set the System Input to MOTU, then the System Output to Blackhole, then NAK input from Blackhole should work.

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
The macOS does not hear input 5-6 on the MOTU as of now. And I don't know how and if I can make the macOS hear it.
I'm fairly new to macOS - can Aggregate Device or Multi-Output Device be used for this?

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
Ok, I'm trying Dipper but can't get it to work. It seems that an extra app is needed (DipperVirtualMic.pkg), but I can't install that here. It gives an error from the system.

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
I have Dipper working now! Most of the time. I think it is quite buggy on my macOS (latest Sonoma).

The only issue I have: The only way I can listen back to the signal arriving at MOTU input 5-6, is to hit the MONITOR button directly on the MOTU, which is just a thru function (hw routing input 5-6 directly to output).

But this issue is not crucial. I need to experiment some more, but many thanks for helping out.

Perhaps these pics can document how I got it to work if you're interested :)

Dipper
1713810139368.png

macOS
1713810077076.png

NAK T-100
1713809886663.png

Reactions: sahnert

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
The only issue I have: The only way I can listen back to the signal arriving at MOTU input 5-6, is to hit the MONITOR button directly on the MOTU, which is just a thru function (hw routing input 5-6 directly to output).
For this you could create an Aggregate device or Multi-Output Device in Audio MIDI setup.

(Aggregate device if you need to combine inputs and outputs from multiple sources, Multi-Output if you only need to combine outputs)

I haven't used the Dipper Virtual Mic to know if it has inputs and outputs, but if it was Blackhole you could create a Multi-Output that goes to both Blackhole and your Headphone Output (for example). So then any input that goes to Blackhole can also be monitored by headphones.

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
One more piece of info (while reading your latest post)

Unfortunately, Dipper only supports 48 kHz sample rate. NAT T-100 recommends 96 kHz for best measuring accuracy.

1713810623385.png

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
The fact that dipper works in general makes me wonder if you could get Blackhole to work through the system audio settings, as it does support 96k according to the website.

Reactions: hjorte

hjorte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2023
Yes, I will try and see what Blackhole can do.

Please know that I am very grateful for your help and inspiration, I am very lucky you are online and so quick to guide. Thanks, man!

Reactions: sahnert

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
VB audio cable might work; not sure if it supports higher end sample rates though.

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
I told you the software does not offer the possibility :)
Then you can't do that. That routing is possible only in linux/unix using audio/midi routing software called qjackctl It can route audo/midi/sync between all those apps what have jackd support. Without jackd support it will not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.