Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pipetogrep

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
I dredged up a dead thread earlier in the week asking whether anyone was aware of a jabber server which can build on PowerPC Macs. I wanted to set up a test XMPP/Jabber server on my G5 (and use dynamic DNS routing from my domain host) to evaluate usability and feature support (such as audio and/or video), particularly on older clients like iChat and Adium.

I’m aware of scattered XMPP instances (servers) out there. It’s tough to determine which of these will play nicely with older XMPP protocols. I tried one from the list, as I once signed up to it some years ago. I couldn’t get either Adium or iChat to log in successfully.

There probably are a few XMPP servers out there (including on that online list) with backward-compatible support for older clients, but it seems XMPP, as a protocol, is going the way of email in recent years: many more security kludges (like 2FA, OAuth, or minumium requirements of TLS 1.3) and proprietary front-ends which make using long-reliable clients impractical, if not functionally impossible.

Which is why I wanted to try my hand with it, using my G5 as the test server.
https://jabb.im work with iChat on Leopard.

Reactions: B S Magnet

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Mojave.

All you need is a FW400 to 800 adapter. My iSight for the MP is plugged into my Cinema Display and that is plugged into the Mac using the adapter.

They're fairly cheap on eBay.

Also have a iSight under Mojave. The iSight came from G5 2x2 GHz over the MacPro 3,1 and now it is connected to my MacPro 5,1.

Worked on all Systems from 10.5.x up to 10.15.x. Im not sure, but i think 10.4 is also working.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.