Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertgarven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Friends,

This has happened to me before and I forget how I solved it. I was trying to position a photo on my apple desktop and somehow it got dragged a file off to the right and it disappears and I can't find it or recover it. I also did this to one folder window that was open. The folder is still on my desktop and I click on it, but the open window is off to the right somewhere where I can't see it, and the top menu bar goes gray. I know this is Apple 101, and this only happens to me about every 10 years, and I am completely perplexed. I tried searching for solutions online but could not find anything to help me solve this.

So I'm doing some tests, I have a JPEG on my desktop I drag it off to the right and it disappears, if I open my desktop folder on my hard drive it's in there but it's not visible on my desktop, it's not grayed out or hidden. If I try to drag it back on the desktop from that folder it doesn't show up, like it's on some alternate desktop, even though I don't have one.

I have a file that I clicked open and I drag the window contents off to the right and it disappears but the folder is still visible on my desktop but the contents are not. When I double click on the folder nothing happens, although it still visible in my hard drive desktop folder, but the contents window is not visible on my desktop? I don't have a second desktop, my iCloud is turned off except for find my Mac. I'm completely baffled... My Mac used to have a option where there was a Cube you'd rotated around where your stuff would be on one side of the cube, but I don't think it does that anymore.

I cannot update to a new operating system because of my iMac is too old. I've been holding off waiting for the 32 inch iMac, but may never show up........

Thanks in advance for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.