Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I work in tech and product management.

I struggle to remember a worse product feature than homescreen app arrangement on iOS and iPadOS 18.

Like many nerds, I organise each window on my iPhone and iPad with widgets and apps to suit each workflow. And I was excited that - finally - we can move apps anywhere.

But Apple seem determined to punish us for this feature.

Whenever I drag an app around the chaos that ensues is beyond comprehension.

Apps and widgets leap around in an unhinged and macabre carnival of destruction.

There is no rhyme or reason to these movements.

They're worse than random: the homescreen never, ever guesses what I want to do.

And each time I download a new app it will blow away my previous organisation.

This isn't just bad design.

It's an anti-feature.

Nodnerb

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2023
Yeah it's absolutely awful! I'm just leaving things as they were before the update because it is such a worthless mess to try do anything with. In fact I hated moving anything around the homescreen before 18 too because it was awful, but now it is a comical nightmare. This update the only thing that actually exists that works that I want is the dark icons. Thrilling.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexjholland

chibihabibi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
Yes especially the control center. It is so erratic it could just about give someone a meltdown with how ridiculously stubborn it is.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I don’t want to believe that they did this on purpose. So, I’ll ask, how is it possible they made it this bad? With all the beta testing that happens, could this possibly have been missed?

Reactions: Act3

dottdirtt

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
it's just so random. sometimes moving an icon causes all the other icons on the page or row to move sometimes they don't. even beyond having beta testing surely someone involved has at some point in the last ten years wondered, hey how does this work in android. the android way just makes the most logical sense. any icon can go anywhere and nothing else moves when you move an icon! so easy. also they don't wiggle annoyingly.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
I’d love to see Tim Cook do a live demo of rearranging the icons on the screen! But they don’t do anything live anymore, it’s all pre recorded.

I really like how you can change a widget size directly now even between icon and widget but oh boy it makes such a mess of the Home Screen it’s not an easy decision to make to try a different layout!

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
For me, I just leave my icons/wingets the way they were. I don’t care about moving them around like others do.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Yes bro, it is embarrassingly bad. I tried to move the apps on my iPad's home screen to the bottom of the screen and it kept moving everything around; I ended up have to delete all the widgets I had, arrange the icons, and then re-add the widgets to get it close to what I wanted. It is bad to the point that it should not have been released like this, let alone as a defining feature for iOS 18.
For me, I just leave my icons/wingets the way they were. I don’t care about moving them around like others do.
Thanks for participating, but I don't think this thread is for you.

Reactions: decafjava

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
It is not so hard if you understand there is underlying grid of 4x4.
Move a small widget around and see that 4 icons are moving too.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
If I arrange the screen with gaps, new downloaded apps fill the next available gap. Fine... kinda expected. But then if you decide to delete the last app, the icons you've previously arranged suddenly automatically re-arrange themselves to fill in the new gap you created by deleting the app. Not expected or desired at all.

If we're given the ability to put an icon anywhere in the grid, the expectation is for that icon to simply stay in that grid position regardless of what is happening elsewhere on the page. Otherwise, I'm not seeing the point of this feature that allows me custom grid locations while an "automatic" routine simultaneously over rides my layout.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
If I arrange the screen with gaps, new downloaded apps fill the next available gap. Fine... kinda expected. But then if you decide to delete the last app, the icons you've previously arranged suddenly automatically re-arrange themselves to fill in the new gap you created by deleting the app. Not expected or desired at all.

If we're given the ability to put an icon anywhere in the grid, the expectation is for that icon to simply stay in that grid position regardless of what is happening elsewhere on the page. Otherwise, I'm not seeing the point of this feature that allows me custom grid locations while an "automatic" routine simultaneously over rides my layout.
Ya I don't really see how anything is really customizable in any usable way. Just give me the ability to have more icons and a denser grid and I would be good. It would be nice to just have them moveable without a grid at all, but my guess is that would take more ram or something. I also miss the animated wallpapers. I wouldn't mind the option to lose a little batter life to have that feature.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
When I first tried this feature out, half the jiggling icons refused to respond to my finger and would not move at all. I knew I was doing it right because I could move certain icons just fine. Others just remained stuck and jiggling in place.

With an iPhone 15 Pro, I am hardly an edge case. Truly makes one wonder what kind of beta testing is being done here.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Good MOARRRRNAAAAANG!!! Introducing iOS 19….our biggest release ever. Now easier than ever to move icons around. We think you’re gonna love it!

• Haha
Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.