Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
NH
Okay! So we have the next gen watch out and apps are hot once more... What apps have the best, most useful or worst complications?
[doublepost=1539640019][/doublepost]
So far I like earth, moon, UV and AQI (cuz they looks cool core then anything) :p
Missing email/phone/messages :(
Sunrise / sunset :cool:
Solar System seems broken... Doesn't do anything.... :mad:

Eager to hear about yours!

Last edited:

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Infograph Watch Face..

Timer
Carrot weather
Workout
Activity
Sports alert
Just press record
Fantastical
Favorites (wifey)

Reactions: mikezmac

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Okay! So we have the next gen watch out and apps are hot once more... What apps have the best, most useful or worst complications?
[doublepost=1539640019][/doublepost]
So far I like earth, moon, UV and AQI (cuz they looks cool core then anything) :p
Missing email/phone/messages :(
Sunrise / sunset :cool:
Solar System seems broken... Doesn't do anything.... :mad:

Eager to hear about yours!

Was wondering about solar system. I try to remmebr to look at different points in the day, but do not believe anything has moved. Thought it was just me.

Reactions: mikezmac

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
NH
Was wondering about solar system. I try to remmebr to look at different points in the day, but do not believe anything has moved. Thought it was just me.

I haven’t figured that one out either, it doesn’t look like it moves or does anything.

Reactions: menace3

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
It's the infographic face for me.

I have AQI, UV Index, Battery, Carrot Weather in the corners. Date, flanked by Sky Guide (Moon) Activity and Earth.

Incidentally, Moon and Solar system appear to be nothing more than a form of display, they don't seem to open anything. And with Earth, it does not update properly based on the time of day. That is, I'll look at the watch when it's daylight and the US will be in darkness. Change to another complication, back to Earth and it will then be in daylight.

Once some of the other apps have been updated I may change things around. For now this works.

Attachments

• IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 393

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
My current infograph setup. Has stuck so far. But I’m always on the lookout for a better config.
Breathe
Timer
Weather
Activity
Calendar
Solar
Apple Music
Outcast

My watch face design philosophy is that it must look relatively good and provide useful, dynamic information that I want without asking Siri, diving into the home screen or accessing the dock.

Attachments

• 71CFD572-E216-4EA6-9C5D-6D4A7348008E.jpeg
    71CFD572-E216-4EA6-9C5D-6D4A7348008E.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 326

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
My watch face design philosophy is that it must look relatively good and provide useful, dynamic information that I want without asking Siri, diving into the home screen or accessing the dock.

Well said, I like your philosophy, it seems similar to my approach. I want information that I can view at a glance, without having to pull out my phone--so there's intentional duplication between what's on my watch face and what I use the most on my phone. That said, once more complications are available for the new faces I can see some of the current complications I'm using being changed.

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Well said, I like your philosophy, it seems similar to my approach. I want information that I can view at a glance, without having to pull out my phone--so there's intentional duplication between what's on my watch face and what I use the most on my phone. That said, once more complications are available for the new faces I can see some of the current complications I'm using being changed.
Thanks. Yours is interesting too.
I think it helps to build a face by asking yourself what’s important first.
It can be slightly daunting/overwhelming trying to crack the “optimal” watch face code.
Funnily enough, the most important data for the individual tends to surface through usage over a short period of time too.
It’ll be tougher to build a face once more complications become available, but in a good way.
This is why I’m liking Infograph more and more.
More access to data I care about makes the watch more compelling.

As an aside, I think Apple’s Watch Design execs should post their favorite watch face configs.

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
Is it really a complication? There’s nothing mechanical moving around :confused:

Sorry I’m bored...

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
People seem to like Carrot Weather. Is it really so much better than Apple Weather, Weatherbug or DarkSky that it’s worth paying for?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
For infograph modular, I like the large weather complication in the middle. It shows current and upcoming temperature and condition. I do wish there were more options for this spot though.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
For infograph modular, I like the large weather complication in the middle. It shows current and upcoming temperature and condition. I do wish there were more options for this spot though.
Same here, I’d like to see the option for a digital clock with seconds in the middle spot. There are plenty of analog faces with second hands. How about a decent digital clock in the middle, then let us add complications around it. That would be nice.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
People seem to like Carrot Weather. Is it really so much better than Apple Weather, Weatherbug or DarkSky that it’s worth paying for?

Of course it's going to be subjective based on which model watch you have and what your individual preferences are but I do like it. I have a Series 4 and am using the infograph face. Unfortunately WeatherUnderground or WeatherBug don't work as complications on it, so I was looking for something that did. Apple's weather is just OK. It's better since they switched to Weather Channel but I'm not wild about how they show the temp display, I find it too busy to suit my taste. After using it for a while, I've come to the conclusion that Carrot is well designed and worth my money.

Last edited:
Reactions: spoon72

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2014
Honestly I really love the AW3 regular weather app on the modular face which shows my location and the weather. I find it super useful especially when I am traveling. I like the dark sky app more but it does not display the city.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Of course it's going to be subjective based on which model watch you have and what your individual preferences are but I do like it. I have a Series 4 and am using the infograph face. Unfortunately WeatherUnderground or WeatherBug don't work as complications on it, so I was looking for something that did. Apple's weather is just OK. It's better since they switched to Weather Channel but I'm not wild about how they show the temp display, I find it too busy to suit my taste. After using it for a while, I've come to the conclusion that Carrot is well designed and worth my money.
I looked into it, and maybe I’m wrong, but it seems that you have to pay twice for full functionality. First, you have to buy the iOS/watch app. Then, you need a Premium Club subscription to get severe weather push notifications, customized complications, and maybe more. Nice looking app, but if you have to buy a subscription in addition to the app, I’ll pass.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
It's the infographic face for me.

I have AQI, UV Index, Battery, Carrot Weather in the corners. Date, flanked by Sky Guide (Moon) Activity and Earth.

Incidentally, Moon and Solar system appear to be nothing more than a form of display, they don't seem to open anything. And with Earth, it does not update properly based on the time of day. That is, I'll look at the watch when it's daylight and the US will be in darkness. Change to another complication, back to Earth and it will then be in daylight.

Once some of the other apps have been updated I may change things around. For now this works.

I can’t figure out how to get the calendar on the top of the dial like you have, how did you do that? Mine doesn’t appear to give me that option

Reactions: staggerlee41

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I'd love a better time zone complication. The apple provided options are really small. Just give me big numbers in a corner. Anyone know of an alternate app with better complications?

Last edited:

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
@jjk454ss Change it from "calendar" to "date" and you should get the same complication I've got.

@iGeneo I agree with you. If you use the world timer complications in the center of the face they are quote small. As an alternative you could flank the corners with the time zones but that also takes up valuable real estate.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjk454ss and iGeneo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.