Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
- 12.3 megapixels (the same chip that’s in the Nikon D300)
- D-movie function (that’s right, MOVIE function. 1280x720, .avi format, HD720p)
- High ISO/low-noise performance
- 4.5 frames per second
- 3 inch, 920kdot LCD with Live View
- Pop up flash with ‘commander’ mode to interface with Nikon's lighting system
- GPS tagging
-sensor cleaning
-$1000 ESP

DPR hands on preview here

Additional blog information (Chase Jarvis) here

Additional info at NikonUSA

353_25446_D90_front.jpg

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
The movie, in-camera image editing and live view features are very odd in an SLR camera. Maybe this camera is geared more toward the consumer market? A bit expensive for that, though.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The movie, in-camera image editing and live view features are very odd in an SLR camera. Maybe this camera is geared more toward the consumer market? A bit expensive for that, though.

My thoughts exactly. I was trying to think of who this was for. I won't buy it because of the size and odd gimmicks and my mom, sister, brother, (basic consumers) won't buy it because it's big and looks like those 'old fashion' cameras.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
What you think, is better than D200?
Depends on what you want from your camera.
I own a D80 and I'm glad that this camera is not really giving me the feeling that I really, really want an upgrade. (Unless the high-ISO performance is earth-shatteringly better than that of the D80 which I doubt.)

There are many functions I don't use (all those pesky motive programs, how about giving the space to options and custom settings?), I doubt I'd use the movie feature all that much.

I'd probably keep my D200 if I were you (that's because I plan on keeping my D80 which is based on the D200).

cosx

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
Bucharest, Romania
I think they are trying to expand their target clients (make people migrate from p&s)...although...i cant think of a person who would pay more than $2,000 for a D90 .. or more for D300 / 700 .. just so they can use the LCD instead of a visor...
I doubt D90 will be above D200.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Although, IIUC it uses the same imaging sensor that is in the D300, as well as the Expeed post-processor.

I don't get the movie mode either. Not something I'd be interested in. Still cameras for still, video cameras for videos IMHO.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Man photographers tend to be a conservative lot. CHANGE? NO! :eek: Same thing happened when Flickr added video. Newsflash: you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

I'm not big on video either, but after looking at the video samples from the D90 I have to say it's pretty impressive. With such a large sensor and the ability to change lenses, two distinct advantages over regular consumer camcorders, I think it would work great for capturing short creative sequences when you want to maybe augment your photographs with video.

I wouldn't buy the D90 *just* because of video, but it's a nice bonus. It's definitely got my eye as a possible upgrade from my D40 -- I wish I had more AF points and an in-body focus motor.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Read and Watch the link for Chase Jarvis. He is a very famous professional photographer. He seems to be very impressed by this camera.

He says that the sensor in the D90 is the same as the D300 with some "juice". Jarvis also posts a few pictures at different ISO settings. The 1600 and 3200 images actually look pretty impressive.

I wouldn't underestimate the power of this camera. A lot of people are assuming that because it has a new movie feature that it must be a gimmick. From everything I can tell it is a legit camera with amazing potential and power.

iAussie

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2006
What you think, is better than D200?

I'm wondering the same thing

Depends on what you want from your camera.
I own a D80 ...

...I'd probably keep my D200 if I were you (that's because I plan on keeping my D80 which is based on the D200).

I'd like to upgrade from my D40 (I want an in-body motor and plan on buying a couple of primes too), can't decide whether to go for a D80, D90 or D200... D80 is cheap now but metering and slow FPS are a bit of a turn off, D90 seems like a good improvement but pricing will likely put it pretty close to the D200 here in Australia (until the end of August you can get $300 cash back on D200 here). Is the sensor the only real advantage (apart from Live View and movies, which I'm not interested in) of the D90 over the D200?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'd like to upgrade from my D40 (I want an in-body motor and plan on buying a couple of primes too), can't decide whether to go for a D80, D90 or D200... D80 is cheap now but metering and slow FPS are a bit of a turn off, D90 seems like a good improvement but pricing will likely put it pretty close to the D200 here in Australia (until the end of August you can get $300 cash back on D200 here). Is the sensor the only real advantage (apart from Live View and movies, which I'm not interested in) of the D90 over the D200?
As far as I can tell, yes, unless you want to use old manual focus lenses. Since there are obviously no reviews that make this explicit, I reckon that you get about the same ISO performance as with the D300 since they share the sensor and the image processor.

But honestly, even a D80 (which I own) is an excellent camera. 3 fps seems like it's `slow' these days, but in the film days, this was considered fast (for amateur cameras). Also with metering, the D90 uses the same metering system as the D80 (and I've never had any trouble with metering). I'd still consider the D80 a viable choice, especially since it'll be quite cheap now. If you compare the D80 to the D200, you sacrifice a little in terms of fps and the user interface is directed towards amateurs rather than professionals. For me, the ruggedness of the D200 would also make a difference (metal body vs. robust plastic). If you have/plan on buying older manual focus lenses, I would take the D200. But I'd rather invest in a D80 with a better lens.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
For the consumer user, the ability to shoot movies is huge. It's one of the major drawbacks to taking an SLR along to an event. There are times when you need photos, and times when you need video. It's one of the main reasons I've stayed away from SLR. Most non-professionals do not want to be lugging around two devices, especially when you are trying to capture spontaneous events. If the kid's making a cute face - shoot a photo. Decides to sneak around and tease the dog - video. Two devices, and the moment is gone before you've had a chance to switch.

The key question is how they've implemented video. There were some technical limitations to image capture using SLR that made video difficult. So, if video is included by adding a cell-phone like pinhole camera to the body, that's a very different story than if the video image is collected through the same optics as the photos. Will have to give this one a look.

Dave

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The key question is how they've implemented video. There were some technical limitations to image capture using SLR that made video difficult. So, if video is included by adding a cell-phone like pinhole camera to the body, that's a very different story than if the video image is collected through the same optics as the photos. Will have to give this one a look.
Video is through the lens, not some pinhole. With a fisheye, you'll be able to capture different pictures than with a tele zoom. It's a nice feature, but nfm. I'm a photo guy.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN

Oh don't worry, it's not being captured through some secondary system. It's being captured through the same lens and sensor as the stills. Check out the video samples, they look fantastic.

bam bam

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Chicago area
Wow. Those video clips are terrific.

I may have to rethink the D90....I originally rolled my eyes when I heard about the video capability.

I have a D80 now but also tote around a camcorder for my little kids events. It is a pain switching between the two devices some times. I generally shoot 80% photo and 20% video.

I've been considering upgrading to the D300 because of the improved sensor, ISO performance and metering. But I'm still a relative photography newbie and occasionally rely on the Auto mode or one of the digi-vari program modes if I can't get the shot right. I generally force myself to shoot in A or P, but I like having the option to let the camera take over in certain situations. The D300 only has M,A,S,P. The D90 has all the improved tech specs of the D300 but is still geared to the consumer market for ease of use.

Now I'll give the D90 a serious look.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'll be curious to see if people use the video mode. Having voice annotation (which I'm just assuming, given the movie mode) would be nice.

Seems like a decent upgrade.

The biggest question, though, is... what will they name its eventual successor?? :D

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
I'd like to know how the Live View works, because if you're not looking directly through the lens, how can it provide an accurate View via a small LCD screen?

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Video is through the lens, not some pinhole.
Indeed it is. And that opens a lot of possibilities, including improved low-light filming. The sample movies are good stuff. I wonder though, is the shallow depth-of-field going to happen on every video, or are they just highlighting the ability? They say autofocus is off during shooting, but it sure looks like manual focus is fully enabled. Can you zoom while filming? Looks possible manually, but not sure if you can using the controls.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
The sample movies are good stuff. I wonder though, is the shallow depth-of-field going to happen on every video, or are they just highlighting the ability? They say autofocus is off during shooting, but it sure looks like manual focus is fully enabled. Can you zoom while filming?

I imagine the shallow depth of field will depend on what aperture you use, your focal length, etc. -- the same stuff with which you control DOF in stills.

Manual focus is, of course, allowed during filming. You don't lose any control over the lens just because you're in video mode, which includes zooming.

Looks possible manually, but not sure if you can using the controls.

What do you mean, "using the controls"? Unless there's some magical new power-zoom ability I've never heard of, there's only one way to zoom on SLRs -- grab the lens and turn.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
Maybe this was covered, but in the sample movie at the bottom of THIS PAGE (the record player), the depth of field CHANGES during shooting! Is this an error, or will you actually be able to manipulate DOF while shooting??

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Also with metering, the D90 uses the same metering system as the D80 (and I've never had any trouble with metering).

Has this been documented, that the D90 uses the same metering system as the D80? If so, I'd imagine a host of people (myself included) will be pretty upset. I've had the same erratic matrix metering on my D80 and D40 that I've seen reported on lots of websites, and have just resorted to perpetually dialing in underexposure and being wary of every shot. Given how glaring the blown out highlights are at default settings, when I read the occasional post expressing that there's nothing wrong with the D80's metering system, it always makes me wonder if I managed to pick up a defective one.

I had anticipated that the D90 would borrow the metering from the D300. If it doesn't, that'd be a disappointment. Given that a used D300 body is less than a new D90 with lens, though, it just makes me that much more inclined to skip the movie feature and get the D300 when I upgrade.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Has this been documented, that the D90 uses the same metering system as the D80?
Both are referred to as 3D color matrix metering II with 420 points. It does not mean that they use the same software (I assume the D90 uses a newer database of image patterns), but at least I cannot see that the D90 uses a new metering system.

BTW, the D70 used a 1005 pixel 3D color matrix metering it essentially inherited from the F5.
If so, I'd imagine a host of people (myself included) will be pretty upset. I've had the same erratic matrix metering on my D80 and D40 that I've seen reported on lots of websites, and have just resorted to perpetually dialing in underexposure and being wary of every shot.
Really?
I haven't had any problems with any of my Nikons in that respect (F50, F80, D70 and D80). Their matrix metering has always worked fine for me (even the primitive 5-field matrix meter of the F50 was very accurate).

There are just some photographic situations where you have to know when not to use the suggested settings, but in my experience, that's mostly either preference of the photographer (e. g. in high-key or low-key situation).
Given how glaring the blown out highlights are at default settings, when I read the occasional post expressing that there's nothing wrong with the D80's metering system, it always makes me wonder if I managed to pick up a defective one.
Can you post some examples?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.