Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Finally finally finally, looks like this is what i shall be getting for christmas rather than a way more expensive d300.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Hmm... Not so sure the D90 is so compelling. I'll post here what I wrote in the original thread:

- Not Full HD
- No autofocus in movie mode
- 5 minutes recording limit for HD. 20 minutes for low res (which I don't care about)
- Apparently, no mic input
- Motion JPEG + SDHC (instead of Compact Flash) is a poor combination
- 12-bit A/D conversion
- No AF fine tuning

I'll be waiting for a D700 with a good video implementation.

bam bam

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Chicago area
Both are referred to as 3D color matrix metering II with 420 points. It does not mean that they use the same software (I assume the D90 uses a newer database of image patterns), but at least I cannot see that the D90 uses a new metering system.

After reading a D90 review on Imaging-Resources.com is seems to indicate the metering system is improved over the D80 - even though the specs are both the same as you have listed.

Not sure if that is based on hard facts or just their opinion after reviewing a bunch of test shots.

With my D80 I do find that I have to correct about 20% of my good photos to bring down the highlights (using iPhoto)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
..I've had the same erratic matrix metering on my D80 and D40 that I've seen reported on lots of websites, and have just resorted to perpetually dialing in underexposure and being wary of every shot..

All camera will do this, Shooting digital is just exactly like shooting slides with a film camera, the blown highlights problem is the same, But with digital I can take a test shot them re-adjust the exposure.

If the light is tricky and you want to nail the exposure without taking a test shot and looking at the hstogram, you can use spot metering and meter the highlights.

Back when all Nikons had onlythe strongly center weighted meter when I'd do is meter off the grass or sky depending on if I was shooting negative or slide film

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
Depends on what you want from your camera.
I own a D80 and I'm glad that this camera is not really giving me the feeling that I really, really want an upgrade. (Unless the high-ISO performance is earth-shatteringly better than that of the D80 which I doubt.)

There are many functions I don't use (all those pesky motive programs, how about giving the space to options and custom settings?), I doubt I'd use the movie feature all that much.

I'd probably keep my D200 if I were you (that's because I plan on keeping my D80 which is based on the D200).

If I upgrade from my D200, its to go to a D700 for the full frame sensor.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Hmm... Not so sure the D90 is so compelling. I'll post here what I wrote in the original thread:

- Not Full HD
- No autofocus in movie mode
- 5 minutes recording limit for HD. 20 minutes for low res (which I don't care about)
- Apparently, no mic input
- Motion JPEG + SDHC (instead of Compact Flash) is a poor combination
- 12-bit A/D conversion
- No AF fine tuning

I'll be waiting for a D700 with a good video implementation.

To answer this list of "drawbacks"....

-Regardless it is still HD, which is better than every other dslr (because there isn't another)
-I rather like the manual focus in movie mode, it is more similar to shooting a movie rather than using a camcorder. I think it will make the user more involved.
-Mic Input??? It's main use is a still camera
-All of this for $999!!!!

People keep crying over the movie mode....What are you complaining about? It produces wonderful still images with low noise and many other improvements over the D80...oh yeah they threw in an HD video camera...all for 1k and people have something to complain about....:rolleyes:

Nice job Nikon, keep up the good work!!

Jan 30, 2006
OK, I think I can say that I am in love. Now my only concern is: should I buy the D90 or the D300?

I currently have a D40x, 1 year old. I know I can last another couple of years with it, but still, the temptation of getting the D300, or now the D90, is great.

My concern is that I could as well spend the money in a new lens. Mmmm, decisions, decisions. I'm particularly eyeing the 17-55mm f/2.8. Tho, if I buy the D90, I could be happy with a 50mm (which doesn't AF with my D40x).

Anyone else in a situation like mine?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Glad to see this D90, but I guess from many of the skill levels on this forum, many posters missed a great improvement.

The Live View on the D90 is much better than the others. It doesn't have the AF of the higher end bodies, but it isn't showing choppy 15 fps images, it's using 24p.

Now hopefully we will see that D3s and D700s with better Live View.

Other than that, it's a noted update to the D80. Wouldn't sell my D80 though, since IQ on it is still phenomenal even at ISO 800.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
What do you mean, "using the controls"? Unless there's some magical new power-zoom ability I've never heard of, there's only one way to zoom on SLRs -- grab the lens and turn.
Well, obviously I'm an SLR neophyte, as I wasn't aware that zoom was manual-only on SLR's. It would seem that zoom then during filming would be possible, but potentially jerky because of depending on a constant rate of manual rotation.

Per the poster that said the d90 was available for $999 - pray tell, where? I looked for it on a couple of resellers and didn't see it.

Dave

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
I've been so happy with my D80 that I've not been interested in upgrades.

But a $1000 body that could improve my ISO performance by 2 - 3 stops, and give me the chance to geotag images? That's caught my attention.

You know, the D80 would make a great backup body. Hmm...

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
The movie, in-camera image editing and live view features are very odd in an SLR camera.

If it doesn't take away from the picture quality, controls, functionality, or add price (it is after all the same price as the D80 when introduced), what's the problem? Just don't use it -- turn that off and you still have a very nice DSLR that is an upgrade from the D80.

I certainly won't complain about additional features, as long as it doesn't compromise the ones I want!

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Damn, those videos look legit. If I had a few qaulity Nikon lenses, I'd probably pick one of these up.

Hell, even with a cheap Nikon 50mm, it would be a ton of fun.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Per the poster that said the d90 was available for $999 - pray tell, where? I looked for it on a couple of resellers and didn't see it.

That's the retail price for body only. I'm not sure who's selling it as body only just yet, but Nikon listed that price on their site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.