Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
OMG I had no idea about some of those earlier woes / issues with OnePlus. That 'Smash your phone' thing is crazy!

The invite thing was always dumb.
I definitely wouldn't want to be giving them my money any time soon, that's for sure.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
OnePlus produce good quality phones for cheaper price. What would you guys expect?

Server points here:

1. Yellow screen: This is not first time people complain about yellow screen. Almost all cellphone on the market has some short of complain about yellow scree. Some phone makers will make the screen warmer, some phone makers will make screen cooler. I don’t think that is issue at all. I do like some OMES provides option to adjust screen color tones.

2. Invite system: I know this is not the best thing in the world. But given OnePlus was just new makers and selling phone for cheaper price, they have their concern about cost. The best way to control cost is reduce inventory cost. The best way to reduce inventory cost is making product by orders. Invite system greatly reduce OnePlus inventory cost. This is something that people should understand and deal with. As OnePlus grow, they dropped the invite system, as inventory cost is lesser of the concern for them now.

3. About USB C cable. When OnePlus decided to release a phone with USB C at time where USB C really has no standard at all. People still remember one Google employee tested bunch of USB C cable? The point is that there is no standard to follow back then. You can’t just blame OnePlus release a cable that is not inline with other or doesn’t work with other devices. People should really never plug a cable that is not come from OEM at all. I had phone with USB C killed by third party USB C cable. Luckily, I get this replaced for free.

4. About the ADB stuff. How is this a big deal at all. If someone with bad intent get physical access with your phone, they can do anything.

In all and all, after OnePlus short of their system, I would still buy OnePlus phone. This is just because the phone itself is good and price is attractive.

With all of these scandals with iPhone throttling, Galaxy Note 7 battery explosion etc, people still buy phones from Apple or Samsung. I don’t really see how you can just cherry pick OnePlus, especially all of these things aren’t as big of deal as it made out to be.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
To be honest, this doesn't bother me one bit. And no, I'm not saying that it's ok that a ton of people had their credit cards compromised. It was a third party and once it was known for sure they removed that as a payment option. In the US, these happen to some of the biggest companies. Target had a HUGE leak. And there is no way I'm not shopping there.

I don't fault them on the invite system. It was a pain but it worked for them as a small company. Now that they have a foothold, the invite system is gone.

Some of their ad choices have been weird, but they've done their job and got people talking.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I read the article earlier today. The author comes off as being very petty.

They are a small company trying to compete with some juggernauts and I’d say they are doing a pretty good job at it.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Would never buy anything from One+. Company has been sketchy from day 1.

It feels like a poorly ran startup even though it has been around for a bit. Invite systems, putting screens on backwards, releasing models in limited quantities, having poorly created cameras, etc. Now, you have this hacking nightmare. I owned the OP3 for like 5 days back in 2016. Didn't like it after a few days. Started off well, but then it became evident it was not for me.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I did consider a One Plus device with my recent move to Android, however there were too many little things to make it a top choice for me.
Great devices however the company itself needs a bit better internal guidance.

Honestly, most of the article issues on't bother me much.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This article from how-to geek popped up in one of my feeds today, I thought I would share it here since there are some users of one plus and I was a potential buyer myself...

https://www.howtogeek.com/340174/its-time-to-stop-buying-phones-from-oneplus/
That was a whole lot of fluff up until October 2017, then things got serious from there. Everything from Oct 2017 down is major cause for concern.

I am worried about a mate of mine, he has a 3T, he's not a phone guy, he just wanted a damn good high end phone to last him 3years and 3T made sense at the time. The guy works ludicrous hours and makes a ton of money in his job, so much so that he may not even notice things like the credit card stuff, so I'll definitely be warning him.

This is going to make everyone wary of any other phone OEM that brings Flagship Specs at low prices. Clearly OnePlus sold these devices to mainly collect information and fulfill a goal greater than profiting from the hardware itself.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Thanks for sharing that. I was never really One Plus's target customer and I never was really interested in their phones, but some of their moves as a company were over-the-top ridiculous!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
AC Article today:

https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-buck-stops-here

Author really lands on this:

A great article.

This is why I will always pay a little more and buy the latest Apple flagship over any cheap Chinese phone. Of course even Android users can buy a Pixel or something, but that does still leave you as the product as far as Google are concerned. But I definitely don't think anyone should be buying OnePlus phones at this point - regardless of whether you are an iPhone or Android.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
A great article.

This is why I will always pay a little more and buy the latest Apple flagship over any cheap Chinese phone. Of course even Android users can buy a Pixel or something, but that does still leave you as the product as far as Google are concerned. But I definitely don't think anyone should be buying OnePlus phones at this point - regardless of whether you are an iPhone or Android.

Whether you buy Android or iOS, you are still the product.

Reactions: apolloa and jamezr

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
A great article.

And this is why I won't be buying any iOS device in the near future:
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/01/apple-pulls-telegram-messenger-from-app-store/

I can name a couple of more apps Apple has shut down because it doesn't represent their political views, or for some other stupid reason. And as an iOS user you can't do anything about it. Except stop giving your $$$ to Apple.

Next stop: hackintosh.

Reactions: Geert76

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
A great article.

yeah....Apple will just intentially slow your device down to get you to buy an new one.....

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
yeah....Apple will just intentially slow your device down to get you to buy an new one.....

Haha! Yup! That whole business has completely soured me to Apple. They can call it what they want, but they got busted lying for their own benefit. Sure OnePlus is a pretty dumb company, and they didn’t react appropriately in my mind to the credit card fraud issue. But Apple, to me, is more egregious. Playing on people’s lack of knowledge to make a buck.

Reactions: Geert76 and jamezr

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I can't defend OnePlus. Because they are shady. But it's funny to me that to some people OnePlus is shady, while Apple, Samsung and the like aren't. Even though they are way worse then OnePlus.

And what's even funnier is stuff like this:

buy the latest Apple flagship over any cheap Chinese phone

Apple builds their phones where? Samsung? Google/HTC/LG/Sony?
What makes a company 'Chinese' these days? Their headquarters address? Nationality of their CEO? Or race of their CEO?

Almost every phone is built in China. But some are 'Chinese', while others aren't. Even though OnePlus uses the exact same CPU/GPU/RAM/storage as samsung/lg/sony/htc/pixel, and even their display is made by samsung.

So I am really curious... What is it that makes some company chinese, while others aren't?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I can't defend OnePlus. Because they are shady. But it's funny to me that to some people OnePlus is shady, while Apple, Samsung and the like aren't. Even though they are way worse then OnePlus.

And what's even funnier is stuff like this:

Apple builds their phones where? Samsung? Google/HTC/LG/Sony?
What makes a company 'Chinese' these days? Their headquarters address? Nationality of their CEO? Or race of their CEO?

Almost every phone is built in China. But some are 'Chinese', while others aren't. Even though OnePlus uses the exact same CPU/GPU/RAM/storage as samsung/lg/sony/htc/pixel, and even their display is made by samsung.

So I am really curious... What is it that makes some company chinese, while others aren't?
That my friend was a great post! Well said....

Reactions: apolloa and Tsepz

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
It is global economic, Chinese made Apple phones. The workers livelihood depend on Apple so does the suppliers, make Apple happy with $200 investment could make the iphone sell for $1000+. Yet when Huawei come to sell on Apple home turf, there is problem with national security concern. The fact of the matter is Huawei built a better phone and cheaper one.

Reactions: Tsepz and c0ppo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.