Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Similar to the WatchOS dependency on iOS, Apple has somewhat aligned Mac OS dependencies on iOS.

Seeing as High Sierra supports Macs dating back to 2009/2010, there really is no reason to not upgrade. If for whatever reason you dislike High Sierra, you can move to at least Yosemite.
Can some please tell me how to upgrade to el capitan or sierra but not high sierra? I have mac book air that is running on maverick but when i want to upgrade by air, it will default my mac air to the latest OS. My question is how to choose the previous OS like el capitan or sierra and not upgrade what the default selected. Sorry for insert this question on this post but I read you guys talking abt it. Thank you.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I love how people are just like "upgrade to the latest OS" when some people have expensive software that is incompatible with the latest OS. Not everyone wants to shell out thousands of dollars for a version update when their current OS and software works perfectly fine together.

I lost the ability to use Logic Express 8 in El Capitan which made me sad, but I needed El Capitan for my wireless mouse to work. I don't really wanna spend $200 on the latest Logic release.

or when people who give an smartass reply just dont read the whole thread and see that this is already asked and answered.

what drives/software are you using? i have several wd drives and none of them need a special software unless i use the encryption provided by the manufacturer with their own software.

or maybe ntfs partition for reading/writing? (i use tuxera for this.)

Last edited:

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
I love how people are just like "upgrade to the latest OS" when some people have expensive software that is incompatible with the latest OS. Not everyone wants to shell out thousands of dollars for a version update when their current OS and software works perfectly fine together.

I lost the ability to use Logic Express 8 in El Capitan which made me sad, but I needed El Capitan for my wireless mouse to work. I don't really wanna spend $200 on the latest Logic release.
Except he's literally being held captive by not expensive software, but by what seems to be the world's worst storage company. Not only do they make it require drivers (which is just dumb - it's a hard disk, get over yourselves), but they don't even bother providing support for released products.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Except he's literally being held captive by not expensive software, but by what seems to be the world's worst storage company. Not only do they make it require drivers (which is just dumb - it's a hard disk, get over yourselves), but they don't even bother providing support for released products.

Do you know what drivers/software are missing or is it maybe just an user error? It hasnt been clear to me which software/drivers op is talking about.. and if i read it correctly the drive is already 6yo old. And you can also ask why apple doesnt provide support for their own software to work with their own released os’s. why always blame other companies when even apple doesnt support their old os?

2. Why is it always to blame hardware companies when e.g. Apple releases a new os which drops support for current existing hardware? Why not blaming apple changing the code that current existing working drivers wont work anymore? as you probably know, macos has needed several times special drivers for other hardware to work - e.g. something so simple and worldwide thing like writing for ntfs which should be as a standard and all os should provide it without needing to get extra softwares...

but they don't even bother providing support for released products.

Did apple even bother to check when they realease a new os, how many working hardware wont work and need a new special drivers etc? Think about Microsoft and windows. If MS would release a new os dropping always support for existing hardware/software, it would be a catastrophe... Still, there are million differend variants (built computers) and releasing a new version of Windows doesnt usually break anything. How is even possible that MS is able to do this when sometimes apple doesnt seem to be able to control their own hardware/software?

Reactions: macfacts

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
External drives should not need driver software to work. What if your software doesn't work some day even if you don't update your macOS? Using old OS is also dangerous in a security perspective.

This statement is funny cause you can't drag and drop normally your files to the iPhone (basically a usb hard drive when connected to a computer) in Finder/Windows Explorer, you need iTunes.

"What if iTunes doesn't work some day even if you don't update your MacOS?" Exactly like in this situation.

People keep throwing around the word ecosystem, but a better description is dependancy or lock-in.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This statement is funny cause you can't drag and drop normally your files to the iPhone (basically a usb hard drive when connected to a computer) in Finder/Windows Explorer, you need iTunes.

"What if iTunes doesn't work some day even if you don't update your MacOS?" Exactly like in this situation.

People keep throwing around the word ecosystem, but a better description is dependancy or lock-in.
Yes. But this hasn't been my concern for a long time since AirDrop.

Reactions: hojx

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
It's just a case of if it's not broke don't fix it. I use drives that are over six years old on a daily basis and they work perfectly well so that's why I feared upgrading my OS and ruining that. But I think before long I will need to just get on with it and by new drives that don't require software to operate.

Good to know I can still upgrade my iPhone to iOS 11 through iTunes 12.6.x
I have one of those annoying WD drives. It stand upright and has a metal case with a single button on the front. Never would mount reliably with Maverick. I stopped having that problem when I upgraded mac os. I'd recommend upgrading to Yosemite or Sierra. Also get rid of the old WD drives as they are old enough to possibly start to fail.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Do you know what drivers/software are missing or is it maybe just an user error? It hasnt been clear to me which software/drivers op is talking about.. and if i read it correctly the drive is already 6yo old. And you can also ask why apple doesnt provide support for their own software to work with their own released os’s. why always blame other companies when even apple doesnt support their old os?

2. Why is it always to blame hardware companies when e.g. Apple releases a new os which drops support for current existing hardware? Why not blaming apple changing the code that current existing working drivers wont work anymore? as you probably know, macos has needed several times special drivers for other hardware to work - e.g. something so simple and worldwide thing like writing for ntfs which should be as a standard and all os should provide it without needing to get extra softwares...

Did apple even bother to check when they realease a new os, how many working hardware wont work and need a new special drivers etc? Think about Microsoft and windows. If MS would release a new os dropping always support for existing hardware/software, it would be a catastrophe... Still, there are million differend variants (built computers) and releasing a new version of Windows doesnt usually break anything. How is even possible that MS is able to do this when sometimes apple doesnt seem to be able to control their own hardware/software?
Rofl yeah sure hey Apple can u please make sure your new OS works with the thousands of different storage solutions out there? K thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Never try to update to iTunes 12.7 as it is a complete failure. With it, you will lose the ability to locally manage apps and tones. Backup and restore may work as expected but all apps are not available through iTunes, only built in App Store.
iPhone 6 is surely supported by iTunes 12.6. However, given your current situation, I strongly recommend you to not update your Mavericks until you have the new drive bought, tested and you migrate all of your data. It is even riskier to break daily workflow than worrying about security risk or something similar. There are cases where musicians cant update past Mavericks for some similar reasons (critical software only supports Mavericks). Wait until you can migrate your data.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Rofl yeah sure hey Apple can u please make sure your new OS works with the thousands of different storage solutions out there? K thanks

yeah it is LOL, because apple should try to start releasing a software that works atleast with their current devices.

Reactions: g35

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
yeah it is LOL, because apple should try to start releasing a software that works atleast with their current devices.
Good 1 mate. The biggest screwup is the fact you can't plug your brand new iPhone into your brand new MacBook Pro without dongles

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Create a partition on your Mac. Install high Sierra and test to see if you can get the drives to connect
I was going to suggest this as a permanent workaround if the OP is not able/willing to upgrade the existing partition to High Sierra.

Create the partition with a version of MacOS that works with the iTunes version the OP needs and use that for syncing songs, etc... Then just keep using the Mavericks partition for work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.