Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xfire2023

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2023
I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with High Sierra and a iPhone 11. After updating to IOS 17, I cannot sync my phone with iTunes. I get a message that there is a software update, but I cannot download because of a network problem. I have no network problem as everything else is working fine.
I read about using Xcode but my 2011 is too old to install Xcode to fix this issue. Apple says "Sorry - your computer is too old and we cannot support you".
I am convinced that there must be a patch or something similar.
I have launched Safe mode.
I have used a variety of different networks including being hard wired.
I have no extensions or proxies.

Any help or suggestions would be amazing -- especially if they work....
D.

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
Have you tried it again? I ask as I've just downloaded and installed the software from iTunes to sync an iPhone 12 on iOS17 with iTunes on High Sierra. Did it first time with no issues, and is now happily syncing away a bunch of music.

Xfire2023

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2023
Have you tried it again? I ask as I've just downloaded and installed the software from iTunes to sync an iPhone 12 on iOS17 with iTunes on High Sierra. Did it first time with no issues, and is now happily syncing away a bunch of music.
What version of iTunes did you download? I am running what I think is the the latest version 12.8.3.1.

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
iMac 2011 21.5" - macOS 10.13.6, iTunes 12.8.3.1
iPhone 12 - iOS 17.1.1

Looking at the table on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_iTunes#Devices your iPhone 11 with iOS 17.1.1 should work with iTunes 12.8.2 and up, so the software versions shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps something else is going on?

Edit - Just to add, syncing works well with wireless sync too.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.