Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Didn't see a forum for this yet so thought I would post it here.

We've all been waiting for the next innovative category for Apple and many people are hopeful that the iWatch will be it. There have been endless debates about it around here with both sides declaring it will silence all the critics and others saying it will be dead on arrival.

A lot of comparisons have been made to the iPod, iPhone and iPad and that before the release (and in some cases immediately after) people were saying that there already existed music players, smartphones and that the new "tablet" was just a large iPhone. Clearly history showed all three were immensely successful devices.

With respect to the iWatch. I feel more than any of the other three devices this will have a harder adoption and will truly need something special/different for it to take off. When the iPod came out none of the music players were anything like it in terms of number of songs stored or ease of use of the interface. The iPhone revolutionized the world we live in today and it would be crazy to say any device on the market at that time was even in the same league as the iPhone and tablets really didn't exist as an everyday device when the iPad came out. Android was in its infancy and the user experience couldn't hold a candle back then to iOS.

Fast forward to today. Android and iOS dominate the landscape and while each have their advocates you can do many of the same things on both platforms. Android watches already exist as an extension of the phone so if the iWatch is something similar I don't think it will have the panache of the other devices. People don't want to see another Galaxy Wear or Moto360 that simply runs iOS (or a deviant of iOS). People want Apple to surprise us and show us something we didn't know that we ever needed. Without that I just can't see us saying 5 years from now that the iWatch (or whatever they call it) will be the fourth major innovation from Apple of the last 15 years.

My disclaimer, I own a Galaxy Note 2 which likely will be a Galaxy Note 4. It is unlikely that anything I see from the iWatch will make me convert to an iPhone and then also get the iWatch. However I own an iPad as do my two kids (minis). I have an iMac and a retina MacBook Pro. I buy the devices that are best for me and I would love to see Apple hit it out of the park with this device so in the future I end up with something new that i never even knew I was missing.

Do people agree or have other (constructive) thoughts on all of this?

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I agree. For me to be interested in an iwatch it's going to have to bring something new to the table. If I merely wanted my phone on my wrist I could have gotten an android watch years ago. If that's all the iwatch is, I'll pass.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The iWatch will be the fifth major innovated product from Apple.

1984 - Mac
2001 - iPod
2007 - iPhone
2010 - iPad
2014 - iWatch

Its funny because the other day I was reading comments about tablets (articles from late 2009) about how the tablets would fail and no one would ever want one.

Personally, I think its brilliant idea to have a smart watch. Of course people think they are gimmicks now, because they are first generation -- but wait until they actually evolve. I don't think it's any company's goal to replace a $5K Rolex. I'm ready to move forward and embrace future technology starting with smart watches. Apple has spent YEARS working on this watch. Unlike those Android Wear watches that seem "put together," Apple seems to have put more research in their first watch.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Unlike those Android Wear watches that seem "put together," Apple seems to have put more research in their first watch.

While I hope you are right we really don't know why Apple's watch will be different. We don't know what their research entailed and what their discoveries are. Jonny Ive is talented and has come up with a lot of great products so hopefully he can do it again however he won't get a free pass solely based on past products. iOS had a huge start on Android which was why iOS felt so much smoother than the earlier iterations of Android. Now they've both had time to develop.

With the wearables Apple won't have the head start it had before so unless they come out with something new, exciting and different and can seize significant market share out of the gates I don't see it being the same story as the past. While I agree that the final decision on Smart Watches and their usefulness will take years to play out, don't assume that only Apple will make progress as Android Wear will get better over the years also. For Apple to dominate and revolutionize the category like they have done in the past they need to have something today that will differentiate itself from the competition. Something more than just an Android Wear device running iOS.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
While I hope you are right we really don't know why Apple's watch will be different. We don't know what their research entailed and what their discoveries are. Jonny Ive is talented and has come up with a lot of great products so hopefully he can do it again however he won't get a free pass solely based on past products. iOS had a huge start on Android which was why iOS felt so much smoother than the earlier iterations of Android. Now they've both had time to develop.

With the wearables Apple won't have the head start it had before so unless they come out with something new, exciting and different and can seize significant market share out of the gates I don't see it being the same story as the past. While I agree that the final decision on Smart Watches and their usefulness will take years to play out, don't assume that only Apple will make progress as Android Wear will get better over the years also. For Apple to dominate and revolutionize the category like they have done in the past they need to have something today that will differentiate itself from the competition. Something more than just an Android Wear device running iOS.

I see your point. With all of the Apple new hires for the wearable device, they seem to be clear what they wanted to do. This watch seems like it would do everything: Fitness, Time, App Store, etc. One major thing Apple will have over Android Wear is the App Store. That's huge. Another thing is, the iWatch will probably tie into Apple's products. Apple doesn't sell you a smart watch, Apple sells you their egosystem. That's what I love and respect about them. Macbook + Apple TV + iPad + iPhone + iTunes, etc ... all of these things tie together and just make sense. On top of that, they can push updates to all these devices at the same time.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
It better be innovative in the marketplace,

And better allow going on a week vacation without removing/recharging,

Or the price will be falling with failing demand. Not interested in jewelry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.