Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icebergx

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, the price is correct (258.800 ¥ ) remember, you will need your passport, so they can put the bill on it that in turn you will need it in the airport.
Even you have a friend in Japan, a proof still needed to apply for the student discount. My advice for you: don't do it. Just take the duty free.
Anything else, I'm gere to answer your questions.

Regards.

Thanks Ayoub. I'll bare that in mind.
Is there any way to get refurbished items tax free. I've just seen that the current model MBP is at 220000 JPY, which is a good discount imo. Along with Apple Care+ I'd but happy going with that, if I can get it tax free (I guess by picking up in store, if possible?)
Thanks again.

Edit. do you think I could get a refurbished MBP with a UK/US Keyboard?

ayoub20600

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Spain
Thanks Ayoub. I'll bare that in mind.
Is there any way to get refurbished items tax free. I've just seen that the current model MBP is at 220000 JPY, which is a good discount imo. Along with Apple Care+ I'd but happy going with that, if I can get it tax free (I guess by picking up in store, if possible?)
Thanks again.

Edit. do you think I could get a refurbished MBP with a UK/US Keyboard?

Well, I think any product purchased from Apple Store have the tax free option. I'm not sure, but it should be, and remember, you need to pay it physically, don't order it online, because it that way you will screw it up, and the procedure to claim the duty free in the Japanese airport is very hard.

Regards

icebergx

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well, I think any product purchased from Apple Store have the tax free option. I'm not sure, but it should be, and remember, you need to pay it physically, don't order it online, because it that way you will screw it up, and the procedure to claim the duty free in the Japanese airport is very hard.

Regards
Thanks Ayoub. Appreciate your help :)

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I just checked this out. It's even cheaper than Switzerland (which also has only 8% tax), though I'd have to add credit-card charges on-top.
And somebody would have to pay for the flight....
Though I'll definitely remember that, should I ever travel there.

px003

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2019
I tried doing this when I lived and studied in Japan (Tokyo). The employees at the Apple Store wouldn't let me have both. The student discount is only for people that are studying in Japan (which I did at the time), but that also means that I lived there and didn't qualify for the duty free. I was there with someone else who was also a student but in another country. That person could o ly get duty free and not the student discount.

YMMV but I just wanted to share my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.