Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The problem is that stage manager tries to split the middle and ends up doing neither well. Most of the people I know (aforementioned kids included) don't really multitask on their iPads beyond split view or a floating screen. In fact, they usually just use their iPhones as second screens when needed.
Not quite understanding you here. Care to explain?

I think when people look at their phones as references instead of using SplitView sometimes ends up being they forgot the feature existed. Because they are so accustomed to using the iPad as an iPad, one app at a time... especially if they don't know any better.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I noticed the new iPads can do 80 percent charging now. Not sure if that was added to the OS, or is it just for M4s.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
And if you are happy with the traditional desktop OS approach... then that's the whole purpose of Apple introducing Stage Manager instead of enhancing SplitView into more grids/windows.

I think Apple did the right thing, giving users the choice to continue using SplitView method for those who prefer that way of multitasking. And if users want more flexibility or a more traditional desktop experience (resizing apps and overlapping windows) then they can use that.
I’m happy to see the desktop “arrow pointer” not brought forward. Would make no sense with an interface you can actually touch. :)

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Not quite understanding you here. Care to explain?

I think when people look at their phones as references instead of using SplitView sometimes ends up being they forgot the feature existed. Because they are so accustomed to using the iPad as an iPad, one app at a time... especially if they don't know any better.
Completely! That was the point I was trying to make. Most people don't even know to multitask on their iPad. My kids are no exception.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Completely! That was the point I was trying to make. Most people don't even know to multitask on their iPad. My kids are no exception.
Really? I know a three year old that, without any direction, figured out how to open YouTube, minimize it then move it off to the side of the screen so that they could play a game while still hearing the video. I’m actually curious about just turning on Stage Manager on them just to see what they’d do. :)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I agree, most people don't know how to multitask on their iPad... but I don't see how Stage Manager is a problem due to it.

It's off by default... the folks that want multiple apps/windows displayed on screen can enable it. And that's a problem?

Edit. or most people don't care to multitask on the iPad*

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.