Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
The AE-1 is a fine camera, particularly with the 50mm lens. I have the same setup myself, though with just the 50mm f/1.8, and it's my backup for my Nikon D50 rig. It's a great camera by any definition...lovely viewfinder, and very easy to use. I think you will enjoy it.

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
I've just come into possession of an old camera and a couple of lenses. The camera body says Canon AE1 on it. One of the lenses is a telephoto lens and says Miranda 35 - 135mm 1 : 3.5 - 4.5 on it. The other lens says Canon FD 50mm 1 : 1.8 S.C.

I'm pretty clueless about cameras, does anyone know anything about this at all? I guess they are probably about 30 years old or so, but I think they were pretty high quality when they were new. Any info is appreciated.

Getting this thread back to the original post, I bought a Miranda slr back in the late 60's. I chose it over a Honeywell Pentax because Consumers Reports rated it a better value. I haven't trusted Consumers Reports since because Miranda eventually went belly-up and the Pentax is now a classic worth more now then when new.

The Mirandas never seemed to get much respect from serious photogs. I did compound my error of camera choice by buying a 2nd Miranda a few years after the 1st along with a Tamron telephoto with a Miranda mount so I'd have both color and b/w available . The shutters on both eventually stopped working, and neither camera was considered worth fixing. So I bought a used Miranda from a friend to get use of my lenses only to have that 3rd Miranda die in a short time.

If I had only bought that Pentax....

Holgapics

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
North Oregon Coast
I have, and still occasionally use, a Canon AE1. Excellent camera but you need to be aware of the "Canon squeak." Cock the camera and fire it a few times (without film). If the shutter makes a squeaking sound, along with the mirror clunk, then it needs a cleaning and lubrication service. This is a common problem on an AE1 that old. Once done it should be fine for a number of years. Don't try to lubricate it yourself but take or ship it to a professional camera repair store. You should be able to have it serviced for under $100.00 US.

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
I have an extra...

I loved my AE1 when I had it back in the 70's and early 80's. It was stolen in a break-in and I never was able to find another film camera that I liked as well.

I mourned that camera.

If you'd like to have it. It's one I found online for like 5 bucks, in decent shape. Never even used it, so your want it, let me know.

Pay postage and it's yours.

bootedbear

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
Austin, TX
If you'd like to have it. It's one I found online for like 5 bucks, in decent shape. Never even used it, so your want it, let me know.

Pay postage and it's yours.
Hey erickj, thanks for that offer! A few years back when I was still using film, I'd have been all over it.

Gone all digital now -- and relearning everything in the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.