Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I got a 7849 score :confused:

Screenshot2011-03-07at50913PM.png

Yesterday I was getting over 10000, but now it went down to 7800. What does this mean???

Screenshot2011-03-07at20157AM.png

There was nothing running in the background.

UPDATE: Ok, I plugged my computer to the wall, to charge, and the score went back up to over 10000+. But yesterday I did it without it being plugged, and it still got a score of 10000+. Im :confused:

Screenshot2011-03-07at53524PM.png

UPDATE 2: So apparently my 8GB RAM was the issue. I took my 8GB RAM out, and put the 4GB RAM that came with the computer. Now, Geekbench is showing the 10000+ score, even if my MBP is unplugged. So odd. :confused:

Thanks everyone for the help. :D

Screenshot2011-03-08at23301AM.png

Last edited:

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
It probably means a few of the physical cores busted and are no longer working. I would take it back to apple because you probably only have 2 or 3 working cores instead of 4.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Likely due to different temps. The turbo boost is what gives it such a high score to begin with, and turbo boost is very sensitive to CPU temperature. I'm guessing you likely did something that heated up the computer a bit before the second run. That also proves how artificial the high scores are. They can't be sustained for very long, so the lower score gives you a better idea of sustained performance. I'd try putting it to sleep for about 15 mins, then running it again immediately after waking it. I doubt that there is anything wrong with your computer.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
What does this mean???

That you run geekbench too much :p

Why are you running it on subsequent days, are you trying to optimise something?

If you aren't just don't bother running it, the system will handle itself pretty well and leave you to get on with doing the tasks that you bought the computer for (I am assuming you bought it for more than bench marking it).

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
That you run geekbench too much :p

Why are you running it on subsequent days, are you trying to optimise something?

If you aren't just don't bother running it, the system will handle itself pretty well and leave you to get on with doing the tasks that you bought the computer for (I am assuming you bought it for more than bench marking it).

I was just wondering why the score went down so drastically, when I just got the computer.

EightmanVT

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
It does seem odd - I'm still getting consistent mid 10k scores for mine (2.3GHz). Just reran it after reading this thread - and have several applications open. 10,512. Would be curious to see how the Apple Genius' would react if you come in and use lowered benchmark performance measurements as the reason. I wonder if they would be receptive.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Quick question. Has anyone tried doing the test with their MBPs NOT plugged to the wall??? I'm only getting the 10000+ score when my MBP is charging or plugged to the wall.

EightmanVT

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Quick question. Has anyone tried doing the test with their MBPs NOT plugged to the wall??? I'm only getting the 10000+ score when my MBP is charging or plugged to the wall.

It was plugged into the wall yes. There's a setting, I believe, that you can change to keep it operating at full processing power, even under battery power. If you're still scoring in the 10,000's while plugged in - you have nothing to be concerned about. The 11,000 score above is a 64-bit result. My 64-bit result was 11513

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
It was plugged into the wall yes. There's a setting, I believe, that you can change to keep it operating at full processing power, even under battery power. If you're still scoring in the 10,000's while plugged in - you have nothing to be concerned about. The 11,000 score above is a 64-bit result.

Thanks for the reply. If its not too much hassle, could u do a test with ur MBP unplugged???

EightmanVT

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply. If its not too much hassle, could u do a test with ur MBP unplugged???

Sure. Just did - and it was 10,455. Now - I could swear there was a setting that keeps processor performance the same as when plugged in. I just can't seem to locate it for some reason. When I do, I'll post back.

crazichik

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
That's really odd. U should be getting the same or almost the same score wether ur MBP is plugged on not.

EightmanVT

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Interesting. I had a Jan 2011 MBP - and I'm positive I remembered an Energy Saver setting that kept the processor at full power even while running off the battery. That setting doesn't seem to be available on this new MBP.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Interesting. I had a Jan 2011 MBP - and I'm positive I remembered an Energy Saver setting that kept the processor at full power even while running off the battery. That setting doesn't seem to be available on this new MBP.
I think it's a processor-specific setting. Maybe the new i7s don't have it?

crazichik

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Take it to a Apple Store, and tell them the problem. There might be something wrong with the processor.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg

All MBP's run at full power plugged in or not. I don't know where people are getting this information.

EightmanVT

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
All MBP's run at full power plugged in or not. I don't know where people are getting this information.

No - The Energy Saver screen shot here is what I was referring to. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2490 If you click on the optimization dropdown - you'll see the difference.

This page has more detailed information.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1446

It also says that by default - MBP's after 2008 use the "better battery life option". I wonder if that applies to the brand new ones.

Last edited:

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011

Yep, 10300-10500 unplugged. I got the 2.3 though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.