Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Licious

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
Ottawa
Congrats on making the jump to your first DSLR. It really is exciting to start shooting with a new camera.

I wanted to weigh in because I actually shoot with XS, and have been doing so for quite some time. I personally love it, and it has served me more than adequately. My ONLY big criticism/annoyance is that it does work with wireless remotes, so if you have to have a wired shutter release remote. This makes it a bit of a pain sometimes, especially if you are shooting some self portraits, but I always look on the brightside in that it forces me to be more creative with my shots in some ways.

When I bought the XS, I actually had my mind pretty made up on Nikon, but I went in to the store a couple times to try each of them out, and just loved the way the Canon felt in my hand. Absolutely do not underestimate the importance of how comfortable your camera feels in your hand, because if you aren't comfortable with it then you won't shoot with it.

Wacky Jackson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
California
Well, I think I'm going for the D3000. It just feels way better in the hands to me both times I went to Best Buy. Plus I like the screen size better. I will be ordering it next week when I get my pay check. One other question. I am wondering why some SD cards are way more then others. Is it because some can transfer to your computer then others?

Stotka

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
I am wondering why some SD cards are way more then others. Is it because some can transfer to your computer then others?

Some cards have faster transfer rates than others. Its not so important. But i would suggest at least 8 gb if you are going to shoot RAW all the time. (and you should).

I also am a beginner at D-SLR shooting but i went and got me a 50D because i plan on doing serious photography, and just skipped a lower budget D-SLR so that i wouldn't have to upgrade soon.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'm in the same boat you're in! I've been shooting 35mm for a few years and have been waiting for my finances to be right to purchase a dslr. Well, yesterday I picked up a canon xs with the 18-55mm lens that comes with the kit anywhere you pick it up at for usually $499-$549. Well, this particular set that they had at SAMs club in my area included the canon xs, 18-55mm lens, 70-300mm lens, 2gb sd card, carry bag(not one of those small ones either!) and it was all canon products! I paid $599 for it! I believe the 70-300mm lens is around $200 by itself. This is actually the same setup they have at best buy for around $750 or so. I haven't got to use the new cann that much but the little bit of use has been great! It's very user friendly in my opinion! For the money you can't go wrong. I'd thought about going with the xsi but I wouldve only got the body and the 18-55mm lens for the same price. One thing to keep in mind though, the canon xs and xsi both shoot at the same 3.0 fps when shooting jpeg but when you shoot raw images(the only way to go IMHO) the canon xs shoots at 1.5 fps while the xsi still shoots at the full 3.0 fps. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

camera-man-mac

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Advice

I think that it all really depends on what you want to photograph.
When i first started photography i got a nikon D90 with the 18-105 mm kit lens. This lens has been great, because its an all-rounder. Good for taking landscapes at 18 mm and good for close sports at 105, not to mention the superb portraits at 80-90 mm. I would suggest going for the higher priced, high quality cameras. If your like me you'll love photography! Lately i am thinking of buying a mid telephoto lens (Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED) to shoot wildlife.

I would definitely suggest getting a kit lens to start, unless you really know what you want to photograph.

Checkout my flickr photostream --here-- all pictures taken with nikon D90.

p.s. Flickr doesn't show the full quality picture.

Wacky Jackson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
California
I went for a refurbished D3000. I said what the heck I can deal with it not being "brand new" and it being $50 cheaper. And it still has a 1 year warranty. I am looking forward to pursuing this hobby!

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
If I was to recommend a camera lens setup for a beginner on a budget, I'd recommend a cheap second hand body, doesn't matter which flavour and a lens like either the Tamron AF17-50mm/2.8 VC or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro.

Constant aperture 2.8 zoom lenses are the things you want, every real pro lens from either the big C or N have 2.8 constant aperture and for good reason. The Tamron or sigma aren't as good as Nikons or Canon pro lenses but they smash all the kit lenses in everyday use.

At the long end they are 2 stops (4 times) brighter than a 5.6 lens. Not to mention that at 2.8 they have a much shallower depth of field so you can throw the background out of focus and really make the subject pop, especially at the long end. They allow you to keep the shutter speed up in low light which means that you can stop action. Lots of people like IS or VR or whatever, but it's no help shooting people if you can't keep the shutter speed above 200th of a second. The other thing you can do with constant aperture lenses that you can't with kit lenses is zoom after focusing, this allows you top zoom in on a object, focus, then zoom out compose and shoot. When you use a variable aperture lens you need to refocus if you zoom.

Just so you know I haven't actually used either of the lenses I've recommended, I've got the canon 17-55mm 2.8 when I bought my 400D, it's a stunning lens but probably a bit to pricey for most beginners. I don't have any particular brand loyality, I've got Canon, Sigma and Tokina lenses and find them all to be a joy to use, so don't think the 3rd party lenses are inferior, they usually let you get close to pro features at consumer lens prices.

EDIT - bit slow writing that one. Enjoy your new camera.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I went for a refurbished D3000. I said what the heck I can deal with it not being "brand new" and it being $50 cheaper. And it still has a 1 year warranty. I am looking forward to pursuing this hobby!

Good deal, usually refurbished might even be better :) My reasoning : It has been checked by Nikon extensively AND given a one year warranty. Plus it usually comes with everything in the box anyway.

Welcome to DSLR shooting :)

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Some cards have faster transfer rates than others. Its not so important. But i would suggest at least 8 gb if you are going to shoot RAW all the time. (and you should).

I also am a beginner at D-SLR shooting but i went and got me a 50D because i plan on doing serious photography, and just skipped a lower budget D-SLR so that i wouldn't have to upgrade soon.

I don't know that i would put "all my eggs in one basket", so to speak. I have a single 4GB card that holds about 260-280 RAW files. No I never have had a card fail on me, but i have heard stories of such and theft. Would you want to have 2 4GB cards or 1 8GB? Chances happening are small, but when you least expect it...

Also, I usually take my MBP with me when on a trip shooting to dump my images to. And the faster cards are for faster frame rate/video and read spead (offload to your computer). I just bought a FireWire CF reader, so i am covered on the read speed..

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I think that it all really depends on what you want to photograph.
When i first started photography i got a nikon D90 with the 18-105 mm kit lens. This lens has been great, because its an all-rounder. Good for taking landscapes at 18 mm and good for close sports at 105, not to mention the superb portraits at 80-90 mm. I would suggest going for the higher priced, high quality cameras. If your like me you'll love photography! Lately i am thinking of buying a mid telephoto lens (Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED) to shoot wildlife.

I would definitely suggest getting a kit lens to start, unless you really know what you want to photograph.

Checkout my flickr photostream --here-- all pictures taken with nikon D90.

p.s. Flickr doesn't show the full quality picture.

If the OP can afford a D90 I would recommend it as a great choice. It would be a hard body to outgrow and takes great pics. Wish I could have afforded one as my first camera DSLR :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.