Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Hey guys,

I am wanting to get into photography and I'm looking for a good camera. I know I would probably love the XSI, but it is $650 while the SX10 is only $340. Will I notice a big difference in the quality of the pictures? I've read reviews on both and they seem like good cameras. I was just wondering what you guys thought would be best for a beginner. Go with the SX10 and then upgrade later or should I just go with the Rebel XSI so that I don't have to replace it for a while.

I plan to use the camera to capture storms and nature mostly. I am also going on a spring break trip and would like to take some great pictures of the beach and atmosphere.

Currently, I have a PowerShot SD400. It is ok, but the LCD is broke and the zoom is definitely lacking.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm in my opinion, unless you are really planning to get committed (as in use the camera and bring it with you most of the time) into photography and into buying lenses then go for a DSLR, if not dont bother cause kit lens supplied by XSi is very short, I think the SX10 can zoom further then the XSi. Of course if you are willing to spend on a 100-400 or some other Canon L lens then by all means, go ahead :)

All the best

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
It depends what you mean by just getting into photography, do you intend to get into it as a serious hobby or are you just looking for a camera to take better snapshot like pics?

The SX10 is a superzoom point and shoot camera that has a similar build to a digital SLR but is restricted to the one lens that is attached to the camera, this lens provides you with a 28-560mm (35mm equivalent) range, which is HUGE it goes from rather wide to very long. However there are some downsides that you can read more about at this review:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/index.shtml

The XSI is a Digital SLR and would be much more versatile as you can change the lenses but note to obtain lenses that cover the focal length of the SX10 would be very expensive and you wouldn't get one lens to cover that length but rather 3 or maybe 4 or even 5 different lenses.

It really depends on how seriously you want to get into photography though.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Hmm in my opinion, unless you are really planning to get committed (as in use the camera and bring it with you most of the time) into photography and into buying lenses then go for a DSLR, if not dont bother cause kit lens supplied by XSi is very short, I think the SX10 can zoom further then the XSi. Of course if you are willing to spend on a 100-400 or some other Canon L lens then by all means, go ahead :)

All the best

You'll probably edit your post while I post this but I think what you were thinking and what you wrote were two different things...

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Hmm...I don't really want to buy a whole bunch of lenses right now as $650 for the xsi kit would be a serious investment. Unless, of course, I could get the body and a better lens for around the same price.

I do not know if it will be a serious hobby yet, it really depends on how much I get into it. I do "love" looking at other peoples' photographs and admiring how clear and vivid they look in comparison to shots I've taken myself with an inferior camera. Anytime I see a good picture of a storm or a closeup detailed picture of a bug, I get goosebumps. :p

Also, I will be living in New York this summer and I will be doing a lot of traveling in the region. I think it would be awesome to have a good camera so that I can have some great memory pictures :)

Quick question on the zoom - What zoom does the lens on the xsi have? My compact camera is 3x optical, and the sx10 is 20x. Does it have a set value? I am not sure how the zoom works on the xsi. I know it varies by lens, but not sure how it relates to the other cameras.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
The kit "18-55mm" lens with the XSi has a 35mm focal length equivalent of 28-90mm, so you lose out a LOT on the long end with that kit lens over the lens on the SX10. However you do lose out on some areas as I previously referred you to the review for.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
You might want to have a look at a Canon G10. Its capabilities are beyond those of a point & shoot and it will allow a fair bit of manual control, but is still relatively compact and with the ability to operate as an automatic.

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Just checked out the G10. I like the fact that it is smaller than the SX10, but I'm not huge on the fact that it is $100 more. Also, it seems the G10 doesn't perform that great past ISO 400. I don't know how much that will affect storm shooting at night?

Ah, such a tough choice! I am used a 3x optical zoom camera, so I don't think zoom will be a huge issue. The G10 is tempting, but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra money. Hmm...

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Just checked out the G10. I like the fact that it is smaller than the SX10, but I'm not huge on the fact that it is $100 more. Also, it seems the G10 doesn't perform that great past ISO 400. I don't know how much that will affect storm shooting at night?

Ah, such a tough choice! I am used a 3x optical zoom camera, so I don't think zoom will be a huge issue. The G10 is tempting, but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra money. Hmm...

Neither of those cameras are likely to do well at high ISO values. I would expect them to be about the same - the G10 has greater resolution (15mpx vs 10mpx) but its sensor is also larger so the pixel density is roughly the same between the two cameras. High ISO performance is one area a DSLR could help you out, but probably not so much in the entry level body you're considering.

This comparison review would be worth reading: http://www.bythom.com/compactchallenge.htm

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Wow, just checked out these galleries...

sx10
http://www.pbase.com/gary/sx10

g10
http://www.pbase.com/gary/g10

He says the G10 has slightly better quality, but after looking at his galleries I am amazed at how great his sx10 photos came out! That's the kind of stuff I want to shoot.

Now I just need to think, is the SX10 going to be too bulky to carry to a sporting event, or around a city all day?

I'm definitely leaning towards one of these two now. I like the rebel xsi, but I think maybe I should hold off on that until I know I'm going to get into photography more. Plus, $300-400 is much easier on my wallet right now.

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Just saw more G10 photos. They look amazing. I think that is what I'm leaning towards. A G10 will be a great compact camera to have. 5X zoom should be enough since I'm used to 3X. I think the SX10 would frustrate me at times with its size. If I ever really get into this hobby, I can upgrade to a SX10 for greater zoom or a DSLR.

Sound like a good decision to go with the G10? A bit more expensive, but I think the compactness is going to come in handy.

By the way, thank you all for your help.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
The G10 is indeed pricy, but its IQ around ISO 80 is great, so you should be fine if you're outdoors. However, if you ever become definitely sure you'll be moving up to a DSLR in the near future, I see the G10 as money better spent on a starter DSLR like the Rebel XS or D40. It could make a good companion for a DSLR when compactness is needed, but it's $400-$500 which may or may not be better used toward an SLR system, depending on if you know where you're headed or not.

However, when you're looking at pictures taken with each respective camera, it's probably more of the photographer than the camera itself. A good photographer can make do with next to nothing, and a bad photographer can take crap pictures with any camera.

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I'm going to go ahead a purchase a G10. IQ is sufficient. I really want to take some good pictures next month at spring break, and carrying around a DSLR might be cumbersome. Right now I'm still in college, so money is definitely an issue. In about year, once I graduate, I might dive into the DSLR world. I just don't have any money for lenses right now. Also, I'm not sure DSLR is where I'm headed, so if I buy that with my first purchase and don't use it, it will be wasted money. I can always keep the G10 around for times when I need compactness even after I get a DSLR setup.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
The G10 is seemingly one nice camera.... what is its Macro capabilities.. closest focussing distance??
Because as a beginner... that's something that most beginners like regardless of their main points of interests!

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I'm going thru this same decision-making process right now. However, I already have some experience with the Canon SX lineage having just sold my S3 IS.
I've been floating back and forth between the G10 and Rebel XS camp.

Since we already have a small Canon SD1100 in the house, some features of the G10 seem a little redundant - portablility, movie mode. However, it's a much more capable camera in terms of photos, especially with the manual controls.
So why don't I just get the Rebel XS for another $60? Well, even the S3 IS was a pain to carry around sometimes. And if I want to shoot a brief video while out and about, I'll need to have the SD100 with me as well for that.

So just as I start leaning back toward the G10, Canon announces several new Powershot models that are cheaper than the G10 and suppport 720p video modes (http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20090217_powershot.html). I still like the G10, but I'm a little bitter about spending more money for it with only SD movie modes.

I'm keeping the Sx10 and SX1 (with 1080p video) in my sights as well, but if I'm going to go with something that big, the little voice in my head tells me to just get the Rebel XS. I just can't decide though if I'm ready to commit to a DSLR "system".

I'm just running around in circles trying to decide, but I think if I had to make a decision on the spot, I'd go with the G10 based on the type of shooting I like to do - outdoors, landscapes, macro.

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I'm not sure if any of those new cameras will top the G10 as far as image quality, manual controls, and compactness (for the features listed.)

HD video isn't that big of a deal to me right now. I do wish the G10 had HD video though. If I like the G10 enough, I'll probably upgrade to the G11 once HD is implemented.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I'm not sure if any of those new cameras will top the G10 as far as image quality, manual controls, and compactness (for the features listed.)

HD video isn't that big of a deal to me right now. I do wish the G10 had HD video though. If I like the G10 enough, I'll probably upgrade to the G11 once HD is implemented.

HD is not really a big deal to me either. It's more out of principle that I'm bitter about the G10 not having it while probably every $200 and up P&S will probably have it from here on out.
I may end up going the same route and getting the G10 and trading up to the G11 or finally a DSLR after a while.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I just want to add my .02.

I agree with what was said above, why not just go with the XS? You really don't give up much from the XSi (2mp on an already large 12mp, 2 auto focus points, and .5 inch smaller LCD) - and the XS is pretty inexpensive in comparison. I paid $460 from amazon around christmas time, brand new. It sounds like the only downside to the XS is your left a little short on the telephoto/zoom IF you never buy more lenses. I think even if that was the case for me, I would still go DSLR just for the image quality, which will trounce the point & shoots. Not to mention you said this could be the beginning of a new hobby.

I also realize it doesn't do video, but unless you are ready to step up to a canon 5d mark II, you wont be getting a camera capable of "a good picture of a storm or a closeup detailed picture of a bug" that gives you goosebumps AND video capability. There will be some people who say a p&s can do some really great stuff and I agree, but talent levels being equal, the DSLR wins every time. (and it has full or partial auto while you learn)

Either way good luck!

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I just want to add my .02.

I agree with what was said above, why not just go with the XS? You really don't give up much from the XSi (2mp on an already large 12mp, 2 auto focus points, and .5 inch smaller LCD) - and the XS is pretty inexpensive in comparison. I paid $460 from amazon around christmas time, brand new. It sounds like the only downside to the XS is your left a little short on the telephoto/zoom IF you never buy more lenses. I think even if that was the case for me, I would still go DSLR just for the image quality, which will trounce the point & shoots. Not to mention you said this could be the beginning of a new hobby.

I also realize it doesn't do video, but unless you are ready to step up to a canon 5d mark II, you wont be getting a camera capable of "a good picture of a storm or a closeup detailed picture of a bug" that gives you goosebumps AND video capability. There will be some people who say a p&s can do some really great stuff and I agree, but talent levels being equal, the DSLR wins every time. (and it has full or partial auto while you learn)

Either way good luck!

First, my G10 is on the way and should be here tomorrow :) Hopefully, I can play with it tomorrow night after my test.

Second, I agree that the DSLR will give me the best photos and most options, but right now I'm just getting into photography. I think the G10 will serve as a great practice camera. I have seen plenty of great quality photos from the G10. With a lot of practice, I think I can get some good storm pictures this spring.

In the end, I am going to need a camera like the G10 anyway. I want to be able to take a G10 to events where a DSLR just isn't convenient.

If all goes well with my photography endeavor, I will buy a DSLR within the next year :)

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
HD is not really a big deal to me either. It's more out of principle that I'm bitter about the G10 not having it while probably every $200 and up P&S will probably have it from here on out.
I may end up going the same route and getting the G10 and trading up to the G11 or finally a DSLR after a while.

Yeah, I am fairly irritated that the XS 1 isn't available in the US. Otherwise, I probably would have went with it because of the HD video.

I really just want something to work with now. I don't have a good camera and I want to be able to capture some spring break memories and also some memories this summer. When I trade up for a G11, I'm sure I can still get a couple hundred out of the G10 and won't be down too much money. Heck the G9 still sells for $300-400 used on ebay.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
A DSLR is much more than just the body you buy. You are to spend some $$ on lenses to really make it worth it. The added creative control really begins to show when you get the 1.8 or 2.8 (tele) lenses.

Otherwise a good PS can take very good wide shots with lots of DOF.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
A DSLR is much more than just the body you buy. You are to spend some $$ on lenses to really make it worth it. The added creative control really begins to show when you get the 1.8 or 2.8 (tele) lenses.

Otherwise a good PS can take very good wide shots with lots of DOF.

One of my concerns about going the DSLR route is the inability (I assume) to do the kind of macro shots that you can do with a G10 or SX10 right out of the box, without purchasing a macro lens. I'm specifically referring to the Rebel XS/XSi with the standard lens. I could be way wrong about the kit lens' abilities, so please correct if I'm wrong.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
In the end, I am going to need a camera like the G10 anyway. I want to be able to take a G10 to events where a DSLR just isn't convenient.

This is also true. I was just talking about pure picture quality for the dollar, but certainly there are other considerations. We have an "old" canon SD600 elph that we keep around for times where we will prob be a little rougher on it or need the compactness to go in the fiances purse - Like a bar or night out on the town. There is def a need for both. If only the iphone (or any other phone) would get a reasonable quality camera in it, we could ditch the smaller canon. But while feasible, I don't see it happening anytime soon unfortunately! Enjoy the new camera!

LiquidSnakeRNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Woot, my camera just came today. I am charging the battery now. I'm off to lab, but I'll be back in a few hours to explore the camera tonight. If I take any pictures worth mentioning, I'll be sure to post them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.