Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangzoom

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Woot, my camera just came today. I am charging the battery now. I'm off to lab, but I'll be back in a few hours to explore the camera tonight. If I take any pictures worth mentioning, I'll be sure to post them :)

Hope you enjoy ur new camera!! I went through 2 superzooms whilst i was at university before getting a DSLR a few months ago...the superzooms were fun, but i always found the slow focusing, poor low light performance, and lack of optical view finder annoying (i grew up playing with my dads old manual focus Olympus film SLR camera)..I've only had my DSLR for a few months, but am absoutly loving it..the quality of the pictures it produces is nothing sort of amazing!! (Even at ISO of 1600)

However bear in mind when you buy a DSLR your only buying one part of "a photography system", a superzoom with manual controls will teach you alot about basic photography for very little money...so far I've spent nearly £1000 on the camera (Canon 450D) + Lens kit (18-55mm), a extra zoom lens (70-300mm roughly x13 optical zoom), a 50mm Prime lens, bags, and tripod!! Still i need to buy a Macro lens, and external flash gun...even so i woudln't dream of ever going back to a "point and shoot" camera, infact i've recently started printing out my photos at A3+ to decorate my house with..somethings in life are "priceless" :)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
However bear in mind when you buy a DSLR your only buying one part of "a photography system", a superzoom with manual controls will teach you alot about basic photography for very little money...so far I've spent nearly £1000 on the camera (Canon 450D) + Lens kit (18-55mm), a extra zoom lens (70-300mm roughly x13 optical zoom), a 50mm Prime lens, bags, and tripod!!

Just wondering where you came up with the 13x optical zoom number. By my rough calcs, the 70-300mm lens is 4.3x ... and if you take both the 18-55 and the 70-300 as a whole, then it's 16.7x.

In any case, people should really stop focusing on the whole optical zoom "X" rating. It doesn't tell you anything, other than the ratio between the wide and telephoto focal lengths. Consumers should look at the 35mm equivalent focal lengths instead, and then do their own math to get the X number.

ft

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Ummmm.. The 70-300 is 4.28x zoom.. Calculated by dividing the largest focal length by smallest!

But at any cost the general principle is that lower the zoom units, better the MTF or resolving power! This is due to a fact that a lens needs to be corrected for aberrations at every focal point and thus lesser the avg focal points better the correction... This is why a prime of a particular price point will always out perform a zoom for that price point! Secondly.. This is also why most of the excellent zooms have a short focal length like the 17-55 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 17-40 4.., and so on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.