Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elopedthought

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
So I just got an update to iOS 18.0 on my new 16 Pro. It already ran iOS 18.0 though.
Has there been a launch day update for the 16 Series that I didn‘t know about?
Anybody else got the update?

EDIT: Seems like they just were shipped with a slightly outdated build number. Thanks @TimFL1 and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDMcG and oneteam

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
I got the update on my 16 pro. From the release blurb in the software update, I got the impression this was to deal with iPhone 16 model specific issues.

Reactions: elopedthought

elopedthought

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I got the update on my 16 pro. From the release blurb in the software update, I got the impression this was to deal with iPhone 16 model specific issues.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info! I was too fast and didn‘t read the blurb 😅

elopedthought

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Hi, yes i just got the update on 16 pro max, then i tried to phone mirror with MBP14 M3 but failed. any idea why update and why mirroring failed
Hm, are you in the US or some other supported country?
For example it‘s not yet supported in Europe.

elopedthought

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
iPhone 16 models were shipped with an older build (afaik 351?) and the update you‘re seeing is the final iOS 18 build (354) we got as RC on keynote day last week.
Ah yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

elopedthought

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I bought the 16 pro and the battery is not that good, feels like my 4 year old iph 11, did this update fix battery issues?
Got mine on friday. The battery will need a few days to show it‘s real capacity because it still needs to finish the update in the background (i.e. indexing etc.) – mine is still working on it.
You can see this in the battery menu. There’s a message above the battery graph explaining this. It goes away after the update is completely done.

Edza24

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2024
Also got mine yesterday. The battery will need a few days to show it‘s real capacity because it still needs to finish the update in the background (i.e. indexing etc.) – You can see this in the battery menu. There’s a message above the battery graph explaining this.
It already dissapeared for me, maybe apple will optimize the battery hopefully.

elopedthought

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
It already dissapeared for me, maybe apple will optimize the battery hopefully.
Ah ok. I got a lot of stuff on the phone and use icloud extensively so i guess that‘s why mine still works in the background. But i sucks if you still got battery issues, hope they fix it soon if it‘s a common issue. Will see how mine does then …

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
So I just got an update to iOS 18.0 on my new 16 Pro. It already ran iOS 18.0 though.
Has there been a launch day update for the 16 Series that I didn‘t know about?
Anybody else got the update?
Two iPhone 16 Pro Max here, got prompted for update to iOS 18 this morning.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Woke up this morning to a notification that iOS 18 is available to install. This is on a 16 Pro that came with iOS 18.0 installed. The install notice doesn’t mention a version number.

What the heck is this for?

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
you have a update for iOS 18 because the 16 phones came with a older 18 build
not the build that was released on september 16th

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
you have a update for iOS 18 because the 16 phones came with a older 18 build
not the build that was released on september 16th
I get that but have they stopped specifying in the prompt as to which iOS version needs to be installed? Had it said “iOS 18.01 will install tonight” then I wouldn’t question it. But it gives no indication of version number.

GuruGuy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2024
I get that but have they stopped specifying in the prompt as to which iOS version needs to be installed? Had it said “iOS 18.01 will install tonight” then I wouldn’t question it. But it gives no indication of version number.
Same version different build

Reactions: mattburley7

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's not 18.0.1 that's installing; it's still 18.0 but a later revision of 18.0. Yes, this would be easier to understand if Apple just called it 18.0.1.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
I just woke up to go to work (I'm in Switzerland) and had a red notification circle over the Settings of my 16 Pro Max.

Went there to check and there was actually an update available, which I just installed. The weird part is that it's still iOS 18.0 but I didn't had the reflex to check the build number before. The number after the update is iOS 18.0 (22A3354).

Did Apple really pushed a stealth update or did I experienced a bug?

Update description says security updates and fixes for all the iPhone 16 lineup...

Anybody else got that ?

IMG_0117.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.