Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Well if you've got flash then the slower lens will be less of an issue.

I guess you'll quickly find out what is working and what is not once you get there and start shooting!

Ruahrc

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
The 28-135 is not fast enough for what you are wanting to do. Personally, i would sell that lens asap and use it to upgrade to something better.
I have used that lens (along with the 17-85IS) and i hate both of those lenses with a passion.

That said, why not try the sigma 30mm 1.8? I mean to get fast glass, it is not cheap. Sure there are primes that are good at low light, but you are stuck with one focal length. Have you looked at the 17-55IS or the 24-70L?

Also, do you have a diffuser for the flash? Try bouncing off of the ceiling or wall if the ambient lighting is decent. Good luck. It is only $50, i mean they can't expect the best pro results. Just have fun, most important part.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
well the day is finally here. Things have changed. I'm using my new 7D instead of the t1i. Should I use (flash) white balance? i'm going with the 50mm 1.8 . I think the 28-135mm us usm might be to slow @ f 3.5 . What do yall think?

bring it just in case..slow down the shutter enough to just capture them, bump up your ISO to max if needed and just keep your aperture has big as it can get. rather have it than not need it, than need it and not have it.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
also, the 28-135 is not a constant 3.5. So by 70mm, you are at a miserable 5.6 wide open (if that). IS won't help that much either.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Sorry guys forgot about this thread.

edit for trying to link pictures from flickr

4489772562_7974ea5cdd_b.jpg

4489778124_8396fbff88_b.jpg

4489792656_a910cac112_b.jpg

4489168737_3c708d7d4c_b.jpg

4489834238_ccdca3f382_b.jpg

4489174403_6ce6c6ea0a_b.jpg

Me and my wife
4489803640_5ab8f32880_b.jpg

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
MUCH better glass. The 5d Mark 2 won't do anything for you, as a matter of fact in some respects (not ISO performance) it might even be a step back (AF for example). If high end ISO is what you are after and the 5DMK2 is what you are looking forward to, let me give you a tip. I had one so I have some experience of the requirements are.
L glass, across the board. Forget you 50mm and your 28-135, start looking at big money lenses. This and the fact that I always was a Nikon man drove me to sell mine and move back to nikon. The problem is that the 5d makes awesome pictures, if everything is up to par. I had the 70-200 f4L and the 100mm Macro USM as well as the 50mm and I only got mostly mediocre shots from it. Could be that I am an idiot though :).
I am just trying to tell you that the 7D is an awesome camera and does a great job even in low light, so why would you switch? Get awesome glass instead, and I am talking L all the way :).

just my 2 c

//F

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
MUCH better glass. The 5d Mark 2 won't do anything for you, as a matter of fact in some respects (not ISO performance) it might even be a step back (AF for example). If high end ISO is what you are after and the 5DMK2 is what you are looking forward to, let me give you a tip. I had one so I have some experience of the requirements are.
L glass, across the board. Forget you 50mm and your 28-135, start looking at big money lenses. This and the fact that I always was a Nikon man drove me to sell mine and move back to nikon. The problem is that the 5d makes awesome pictures, if everything is up to par. I had the 70-200 f4L and the 100mm Macro USM as well as the 50mm and I only got mostly mediocre shots from it. Could be that I am an idiot though :).
I am just trying to tell you that the 7D is an awesome camera and does a great job even in low light, so why would you switch? Get awesome glass instead, and I am talking L all the way :).

just my 2 c

//F
thanks man i will do that, but what about the canon 17-55 2.8?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I can't speak for the IQ of the Canon version personally, since I shoot Nikon... but I have the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 and it's a great lens. I don't know how the Canon compares with the Nikkor in their lens line-up, but in the Nikkor line-up the 17-55 f/2.8 is pro level, with weather/moisture sealing, including the mount flange. I'm going to assume they're fairly similar in overall quality. The Canon does have IS. The main thing is it's a constant aperture, wide-normal zoom, which should be in every crop-body shooter's bag if you do events. Folks here who have used the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 have only said good things about it's image quality, so for versatility and speed-- get it. It'll get way more use than you probably think, IMHO.

Also, get some extra strobes, a softbox, a reflector/diffuser, a couple of stands and perhaps look into the Radio Poppers, which now work with TTL flash exposure. With the remote, off-camera strobes, faster glass and high-speed sync, you can really make some nice, dramatic shots which include a lot of the ambient light... to go along with the candid shots. That's when your event work will start to look pro. Anyway, that's where I'd put my money if I were you, rather than investing in a 5D MkII.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
I can't speak for the IQ of the Canon version personally, since I shoot Nikon... but I have the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 and it's a great lens. I don't know how the Canon compares with the Nikkor in their lens line-up, but in the Nikkor line-up the 17-55 f/2.8 is pro level, with weather/moisture sealing, including the mount flange. I'm going to assume they're fairly similar in overall quality. The Canon does have IS. The main thing is it's a constant aperture, wide-normal zoom, which should be in every crop-body shooter's bag if you do events. Folks here who have used the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 have only said good things about it's image quality, so for versatility and speed-- get it. It'll get way more use than you probably think, IMHO.

Also, get some extra strobes, a softbox, a reflector/diffuser, a couple of stands and perhaps look into the Radio Poppers, which now work with TTL flash exposure. With the remote, off-camera strobes, faster glass and high-speed sync, you can really make some nice, dramatic shots which include a lot of the ambient light... to go along with the candid shots. That's when your event work will start to look pro. Anyway, that's where I'd put my money if I were you, rather than investing in a 5D MkII.
I agree with you 100%, first and far most THANK YOu for all the information you gave me. I was already in the process of looking for a light stand, bracket for my 430ex II speed lite and a umbrella. So this all works out good, but I will have to wait to get the 17-55.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.