Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayricepudding

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
I would venture to guess that almost every single Series 4 has this problem and anyone who says that their's doesn't simply hasn't checked it. I've seen countless Reddit posts about this gray uniformity issue and within them, not one response has contained a photo that didn't have the issue.

It seems like some clarification is in order - This is not a "light bleed" issue. This is a gray uniformity issue, a common issue in OLED displays. If you were to view a solid dark gray image on your Series 4 watch in a dark or dimply lit room, I'm guessing you'll see a lack of light uniformity. I see it on mine, my friend sees it on his and it seems like everyone I've seen online who's tested it appropriately sees it on theirs as well.

YOU WILL NOT SEE THIS ISSUE WHILE LOOKING AT AN ALL BLACK IMAGE/WATCH FACE. As I mentioned, it's not a light bleed issue, it's a gray uniformity issue. I've seen so many people post photos of their all black watch faces - that's not going to show the issue, because black on an OLED display is represented by simply turning off the pixel.

I'm not an engineer, but the fact that the uniformity issues always seem to occur most glaringly at one screen edge and then fade inward towards the center makes me think that this is an issue caused by the screens (under the glass) not being perfectly fit to the devices - I bet there's some bending or pressure on the particular edge/corner of the screen that's causing this issue.

Regardless, I would hope that anyone spending the kind of money we all are on these devices would be a little less dismissive of an issue like this, just because they don't want to believe it exists.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I would venture to guess that almost every single Series 4 has this problem and anyone who says that their's doesn't simply hasn't checked it. I've seen countless Reddit posts about this gray uniformity issue and within them, not one response has contained a photo that didn't have the issue.

It seems like some clarification is in order - This is not a "light bleed" issue. This is a gray uniformity issue, a common issue in OLED displays. If you were to view a solid dark gray image on your Series 4 watch in a dark or dimply lit room, I'm guessing you'll see a lack of light uniformity. I see it on mine, my friend sees it on his and it seems like everyone I've seen online who's tested it appropriately sees it on theirs as well.

YOU WILL NOT SEE THIS ISSUE WHILE LOOKING AT AN ALL BLACK IMAGE/WATCH FACE. As I mentioned, it's not a light bleed issue, it's a gray uniformity issue. I've seen so many people post photos of their all black watch faces - that's not going to show the issue, because black on an OLED display is represented by simply turning off the pixel.

I'm not an engineer, but the fact that the uniformity issues always seem to occur most glaringly at one screen edge and then fade inward towards the center makes me think that this is an issue caused by the screens (under the glass) not being perfectly fit to the devices - I bet there's some bending or pressure on the particular edge/corner of the screen that's causing this issue.

Regardless, I would hope that anyone spending the kind of money we all are on these devices would be a little less dismissive of an issue like this, just because they don't want to believe it exists.
Praise Steve Jobs, someone gets what I am trying to say here. I am not bashing everyone's love for the watch. I love the watch myself. But there is an issue here that's not limited to just my bad luck. And its not just something you have to dig for to see. I do expect perfect for the money ($799) I spent on this watch. My $429 S3 with its OLED screen did not have this issue. Others who are experiencing this - please go to https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html and report your experience to Apple.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Praise Steve Jobs, someone gets what I am trying to say here. I am not bashing everyone's love for the watch. I love the watch myself. But there is an issue here that's not limited to just my bad luck. And its not just something you have to dig for to see. I do expect perfect for the money ($799) I spent on this watch. My $429 S3 with its OLED screen did not have this issue. Others who are experiencing this - please go to https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html and report your experience to Apple.

Reference the Bolded, since that other members post is indicating that most of these Apple Watches do suffer from this image distortion, what are your future plans being that you ‘expect a perfect watch’ given that a large majority of Watches will likely encounter this concern. (And as I already mentioned, it seems there really is not much of a solution if this is the way the Series 4 is being manufactured different from the Series 3). If Apple is manufacturing the watch this way, then how do you differentiate what’s considered a defect or an anomaly.

Last edited:

w83design

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
I have simar problem... left side of the screen have light line

Attachments

• 8A79F5E0-3668-4498-A743-DDC8B1C7394C.jpeg
    8A79F5E0-3668-4498-A743-DDC8B1C7394C.jpeg
    593.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 10F75A72-D0B9-45A9-B922-8F9A4517FEC4.jpeg
    10F75A72-D0B9-45A9-B922-8F9A4517FEC4.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 89FAE917-6A16-4728-B201-6BFAFC892F7E.jpeg
    89FAE917-6A16-4728-B201-6BFAFC892F7E.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 321
  • 25A40633-0B39-45CB-9840-5EF0F296962F.jpeg
    25A40633-0B39-45CB-9840-5EF0F296962F.jpeg
    649.1 KB · Views: 298
Reactions: SoN1NjA

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Edit: I changed the thread title to reflect the commenters’ advice for me and maybe others who are bothered by the screen uniformity issue...
—————

I’m sorry to start another thread here and appreciate everyone’s prior comments on this. However, I’d like to limit this discussion to those who are not immediately dismissive of this being a real issue and one that warrants attention, if not comment, from Apple. It is not simply “bad luck” that the 5 Apple watches I have owned in the last 3 weeks (3 stainless and 2 aluminum) have all had the uneven display/brightness uniformity/“light bleed” issue to varying extents. The watch I currently have is the least affected of the bunch, but it still has a noticible issue. And I don’t mean just with the grey test image in a dark room. I mean while I’m driving at night and the turn by turn directions come up and the edges of the box are yellowish. Or when sliding down the notifications and the first third of the box is a different color than the rest. It just looks bad and while I understand that “OLEDs have a difficult time with grays...,” I find this unacceptable for a $800 product. Especially becuause it’s not the same across all S4s. And absolutely not the same as other OLED Apple products. My iPhone X does not have this issue. It was only $200 more than this watch.

So what next? Does this get fixed with software? Do I keep exchanging my watch hoping for a good one? Do I do an Apple care exchange in a few months when they figure this out? What are others doing?

Look elsewhere for a smart watch. Apple is not going to make you happy.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Look elsewhere for a smart watch. Apple is not going to make you happy.

You should scroll to the post that includes the images he posted, which shows a clearly defective screen. If the Apple Watch was meant to ship with a screen as bad as the photos show, then it isn't for anyone - that's horrible.

OP has had an unlucky run. Clearly the Apple Watch is for him - he just wants one that doesn't have a faulty screen.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You should scroll to the post that includes the images he posted, which shows a clearly defective screen. If the Apple Watch was meant to ship with a screen as bad as the photos show, then it isn't for anyone - that's horrible.

OP has had an unlucky run. Clearly the Apple Watch is for him - he just wants one that doesn't have a faulty screen.

Sorry but I still think that he will not be happy I’d he is demanding a perfectly illuminated screen.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Sorry but I still think that he will not be happy I’d he is demanding a perfectly illuminated screen.
I can understand people who notice a problem in daily normal usage wanting to exchange the device, and I know there are Apple Watches that look evenly illuminated because my family has 3 of them.

The people who are never going to be happy are the ones who create artificial tests by loading a special gray image, going into a dark closet, and slowly turning the crown.

Every product I own can be made to fail if I use it in a way it wasn't intended to be used.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I have simar problem... left side of the screen have light line

If you look at these 4 screens, and can only see white lines on the left side on the screen, I truly feel sorry for you. When I look at your 4 pictures.....I see a Setting screen with 4 choices on it, a Sunrise/Sunset screen, and 2 screens that show recently played songs. While I can see faint while lines you are referring to they don’t even register in my brain when looking at the screen....it would totally suck if this was an actual problem for you.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

iTom501

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2016
London
Oh yes, I have this too. I don't really care but I avoid some watch faces, like the vapour ones - I can really see the shadows on those. Also those people who say that the problem doesn't exist, only because they don't care or don't have it on theirs can take a seat.

I'd recommend returning yours if it bothers you, because no one should pay for defective stuff, unless you can live with it. Then you could MAYBE get it replacement by the Genius Bar, once some time passes, like a few months I'd say.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I have this problem on my Series 4 SS. It was only noticeable when I did the grey picture test. I’m thinking I’ll wait 3-6 months to get a replacement until they fix this issue because I’m pretty sure all of the watches on the shelves have this issue to some degree.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I have the exact same problem with mine. I tried to set up service thru mail-in with Applecare over the phone but for some reason that they can’t explain, their system doesn’t gives them an error when trying to ship me a box to my zip code (they say the error states there’s a country code mismatch although i am calling from the states and i called the US number, speaking to someone in the US)

here’s some photos of my watch:
21E2F6E1-EC5A-4597-9E4F-6E249051B172.jpeg 39700073-CECB-4347-8218-BF6163C2574D.jpeg

It’s really annoying at night or in the dark when it’s most noticeable. This is from a Stainless Steel Gold 44mm Stone Sport Band.

I set up the depot service (mail-in) thru an apple store. I received it back unrepaired. I sent it again. I haven’t heard yet, but now that I know i’m not the only one I’m sure this can’t be ignored.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
I see you found something new to complain about now that Apple released the ECG feature.

Not complaining or getting worked up at all. Just took an ECG reading and all is normal.

I just find it interesting that after reading multiple threads about people having to deal with a scratch that could only be seen under bright lights with a microscope, a thread about returning 11 iPhones for various minor reasons, and now a thread about returning multiple watches, makes me think the issue is bigger than my problem with an ECG feature.

I suppose if I turn up the brightness on my watch all the way, stand in a dark room, and looked at it at the right angle I could find some flaws, but I don't see how that would benefit anyone.

Hope you get it sorted.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I see a faint lighter grey on far left. But, never have had any screens look like that day or night for me. Not an issue for me, fortunately.
I have the same thing, I can’t see it unless I’m looking at that image. Not worth getting a replacement at this point when I could likely get one that’s worse.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
What am I looking for? Brightness is on full.

you cant see anything when the pixels are turned off - you could also look the watch while it is powered off and ask the same question.

the issue is more visible when your watch is set to minimum brightness (the brightness of the screen isnt uniform) and actually powering the pixels rather than keeping them off (black background = pixels off and shouldnt even see anything). then there is another issue with dark lines on the screen.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Mine is only noticeable in a dark room with very low brightness where the left side was a little brighter then the right. I only notice it in real use when in a dark room and slowly turn the crown where it is barely lit and same thing with theater mode. I turned of "wake screen on crown up" and no longer see this issue at all. Yes its a work around but I don't need or use that feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.